Options

Deliotte Football Money League 2012/2013

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Erm, no the wages bill has been coming down, Manchester City do not have to pay ridiculous wages to attract the best players anymore. All the best players want to play for Man City, not United, not Chelsea or Arsenal.

So the wage bill is coming down is it?:D

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-city-accounts-club-spent-3090302#.UulBKbQ_Vz8
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D

Financial Fair Play my arse.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over 600 million spent on transfers in 5 years.

No doubt someone will be telling me that next that greed is good and that the training complex/facilities/youth development is superb!

I'm sure my relatives will be happy in the knowledge that their council tax money has been well spent funding this project. :p
  • Options
    Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Over 600 million spent on transfers in 5 years.

No doubt someone will be telling me that next that greed is good and that the training complex/facilities/youth development is superb!

I'm sure my relatives will be happy in the knowledge that their council tax money has been well spent funding this project. :p

Yep and it's still less than United money that has gone to pay Glazers debt.

One has been transformed into a world class team.

The other was sliding the other way, although I still reckon you'll be able to buy quality in the summer to come back next year.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Big Poy wrote: »

The other was sliding the other way, although I still reckon you'll be able to buy quality in the summer to come back next year.

The £600m that has gone on the Glazers debt has seen us win a hell of a lot more trophies than the £600m that you guys have spent on players thus far.

You have a hell of a side right now but you've also wasted a shed-load of cash on players too.

I dont begrudge you the title this season on the basis that you are the best side though, regardless of money spent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    The £600m that has gone on the Glazers debt has seen us win a hell of a lot more trophies than the £600m that you guys have spent on players thus far.

You have a hell of a side right now but you've also wasted a shed-load of cash on players too.

I dont begrudge you the title this season on the basis that you are the best side though, regardless of money spent.

Fair point, obviously it wasn't going to win us trophies consistently straight away. Especially from where we started off. But it has built us a team that will win them and the other developments will hopefully keep us here.

We were always going to waste a good chunk of money signing players who wouldn't necessarily pick City and also clubs knowing back then they could charge pretty much what they wanted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh that's all fine and dandy then. :p

The rate payer's of Manchester may argue that the money could have been better spent elsewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh that's all fine and dandy then. :p

The rate payer's of Manchester may argue that the money could have been better spent elsewhere.

What the chuff has it got to do with the rate payers? It's not their money, you make it sound like they have some sort of right to it or a say on where it should be spent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the chuff has it got to do with the rate payers? It's not their money, you make it sound like they have some sort of right to it or a say on where it should be spent.

Who paid for the stadium? It was part funded by Manchester City council. Where do they get their revenue from? Tax payers. Like the same ones who paid for the Olympic stadium that West Ham want to rent.

That's what the chuff it has to do with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who paid for the stadium? It was part funded by Manchester City council. Where do they get their revenue from? Tax payers. Like the same ones who paid for the Olympic stadium that West Ham want to rent.

But we were discussing the amount of money spent since the takeover, no relevance to the stadium.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently within their accounts they have included revenue of $22.5m from the licensing of the name "City" to New York City FC, a club they co-own.

Creative.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Apparently within their accounts they have included revenue of $22.5m from the licensing of the name "City" to New York City FC, a club they co-own.

Creative.

They did something very similar last year as well. FFP doesn't allow stuff like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yet Manchester United make a profit, when are City planning on making a profit? Especially considering they had to fiddle their accounts just to make a £50m loss.
  • Options
    The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member

Both party's freely negotiated and agreed the deal such that they both gained something from it. If you don't like it then, as a Manchester council tax payer, your issue is with Manchester City Council rather than Manchester City Football Club.

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Especially considering they had to fiddle their accounts just to make a £50m loss.

I assume you are going to report it then?

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Rat wrote: »
    I assume you are going to report it then?

Dave

I don't need to report it, i'm sure UEFA have noticed it.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Im really confused here. I assume both City and West Ham are paying rent to the council for their repspective and prospective stadiums? Stadiums that already exist and would be potential white elephants were these clubs not doing so? Surely this is good business to generate long-term rental income for them, as opposed to what seems to happen to a number of World Cup stadiums around the world that fall into disrepair pretty quickly.

Dont see the issue myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't need to report it, i'm sure UEFA have noticed it.

I am not talking about to UEFA.

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im really confused here. I assume both City and West Ham are paying rent to the council for their repspective and prospective stadiums? Stadiums that already exist and would be potential white elephants were these clubs not doing so? Surely this is good business to generate long-term rental income for them, as opposed to what seems to happen to a number of World Cup stadiums around the world that fall into disrepair pretty quickly.

Dont see the issue myself.

Totally agree. Without Man City their stadium would be sitting there costing the council millions a year without any steady income.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im really confused here. I assume both City and West Ham are paying rent to the council for their repspective and prospective stadiums?

Yes they do. City pay £4m a year to the council. With that they get the naming rights. It is also worth mentioning that as part of the deal, City gave the council Maine Road in exchange for the costs incurred by the council in converting it from athletics stadium to a football stadium.

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes they do. City pay £4m a year to the council. With that they get the naming rights. It is also worth mentioning that as part of the deal, City gave the council Maine Road in exchange for the costs incurred by the council in converting it from athletics stadium to a football stadium.

Dave

Hope the council are generous and the tax payers see some of that!

:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hope the council are generous and the tax payers see some of that!

:p

Again that's an issue people need to have with the council. As long as Manchester City Football Club pay the rent they have agreed to pay, then they have done all that is expected of them.

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am not talking about to UEFA.

Dave

Who else would I report it to when I was talking about FFP?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »

Creative.

'Creative accounting' more like. ;-)
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I do thanks.

Man City do not have a model where they are going to get a return on their investment though do they? Chelsea have been doing it a lot longer and still have no return and are still making huge losses.

Even on 40.000 gates, Chelsea would be turning a profit by now if they weren't still pissing huge sums of money up the wall!

Nevermind the past when they spent 30 million on a shot Sheva, and then 50 on a declining Torres. Today, we have signed another player and sent him out on loan, bringing our loan total to an astonishing 25 players.
    On top of that, we've spent more money than any club in world football on youth development, but they never give any of them a decent chance to break through.

It's strange how the smart, successful people who run our top clubs are prepared to waste money like this in a way they'd never dream of doing outside of football.

Still, i'd rather us have a rich man waste shedloads than go back to being stone broke.