Pat or Janine?

Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,397
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Given that it's election day!

In addition to the thread I've been running in The Games Room -
[URL=" http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2069078"]"Your Favourite EastEnders Character - 10th Anniversary Edition – The Final[/URL]

I wanted to see who the main forum would go for in a straight head-to-head of who's more popular using the anonymous poll, given that more lurkers would have a say as well.

There's no follow up to this, it's just curiosity to see if a different result occurs.

Who's your favourite? 80 votes

Janine Butcher
45% 36 votes
Pat Evans
55% 44 votes

Comments

• Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a tough call but if have to go with Janine.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Janine. I have 'known' her since she was a little girl and Charlie Brooks does such a great job of playing her. My favourite EE character.
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat is definitely more iconic and if I could choose to have one or the other back on the show it would be Pat, but Janine is my favourite. If that makes sense?:D.

Janine is just brilliant!

Pretty much every great era of this century has included Janine (2000-2002 & 2008-2010).

She is so watchable and Charlie Brooks plays her so well. It's not the same without her. It's a shame Nina Wadia, Jo Joyner & Charlie Brooks, as DTC took over. 3 huge losses to the show.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat.

She was fabulous; a true EastEnders legend and soap icon. Pat was so important to EastEnders' continuity that her history with the Beales/Fowlers/Wicks/Brannings predated the show by several decades. Pat also had links to virtually every iconic character in the show's history. Over her 26 years in Walford she was the matriarch of not one but FOUR families, and eventually became a matriarch for the entire Square. She is simply irreplaceable.
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Pat. I watched her since 1986 (?) and she had many facets to her character.

I think Janine is a sociopath so not really someone I can like.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pantomime character leading a EE icon. God help the GE result. LOL.
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!
  • ChatterFaceChatterFace Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I voted Janine because she is simply one of my favourite characters of all time, she is just so watchable and I found her quite funny too!

Although if I had it my way I would have both Pat and Janine back because I think they were both great when they were sharing the screen and I loved their relationship.
  • Chase_HamylnChase_Hamyln Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Pat Evans. Pat is more iconic than Janine.
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    Two of my favourite ever characters but it will be Pat for me.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat. In her latter days she had faded as a character and didn't get any decent storylines apart from her death but she was a touchstone character. Her links, history, characterization meant that she instantly made other characters better. There are very few characters left like that and it was a massive mistake to kill her off.

I don't mind Janine but ultimately she's just a minx.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat but both are icons of the show.
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Janine, obviously.

Pat did nothing.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Pantomime character leading a EE icon. God help the GE result. LOL.

Couldn't have put it better.
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Janine, obviously.

Pat did nothing.
    Seriously? Pat had some big storylines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    Pat.

She was fabulous; a true EastEnders legend and soap icon. Pat was so important to EastEnders' continuity that her history with the Beales/Fowlers/Wicks/Brannings predated the show by several decades. Pat also had links to virtually every iconic character in the show's history. Over her 26 years in Walford she was the matriarch of not one but FOUR families, and eventually became a matriarch for the entire Square. She is simply irreplaceable.

I do wonder if Pat would have made a difference to the LN era.

Would she have helped the show a lot?
    Would she have been unrecognisable?
    Would ratings have fell as low as they have done, if Pat was still around?
    What storylines would she have got?
    Would she have got on as well with Carol, Sonia, etc...

It really does make me wonder!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamesc_715 wrote: »

I have watched the show since 2007, and I can honestly say compared to most of the cast and Peggy, Pat got very little in comparison. Also, she didn't appear in that many episodes strangely. Of course in the 80's , 90's and early 00's it was a different story.
    Forum Member
    lou_123 wrote: »
    I have watched the show since 2007, and I can honestly say compared to most of the cast and Peggy, Pat got very little in comparison. Also, she didn't appear in that many episodes strangely. Of course in the 80's , 90's and early 00's it was a different story.
    That is true but in the earlier years, Pat had lots of screentime and she had some big storylines. But it's a shame Pat was underused after 2006.
  • Seamus2008Seamus2008 Posts: 3,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely Pat Evans, the one and only.

As much I enjoy Janine Butcher as a character, Pat will always be more legendary and is sorely missed from the cast (although saying that, I would happily welcome Janine back too). I just hate that TPTB decided to kill Pat off instead of allowing her to go and see Simon again. I bowled my eyes out when she died. :(:(:(
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,643
    Forum Member
    Of the two I prefer Pat, but neither of them would be my favourite.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love them both but voted for Pat as she is the more iconic character.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked both, but Janine was a lot of fun to watch
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Janine.
  • EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janine.
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    jamesc_715 wrote: »

Most of which involved a Peggy vs. Pat love triangle.