Options

What books have you abandoned reading?

Comments

• Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philip Pullman's Northern Lights bored me stupid - I read the first couple of chapters and just gave up. I really cannot see what all the fuss is about.
    I know what you are saying- it is the least enjoyable and interesting read out of the His Dark Materials trilogy.

But I would advice you to start again and read it through to the end. If only to get you started on The Stuble Knife and the last book- This is where the trilogy really hots up and William is a much more sympathetic character then Lyra.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Nasalhair wrote:
    I actually challenged myself to read it this year and I managed to finish it. The first few chapters are hard but then it gets easier for a while, but from about half way through it is a nightmare. Took me about four days in total. The joy of commuting by train.

But it seems you did not even then like it. So was it worth the effort or should you have found a writer you like?
  • Options
    NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aluk wrote:
    But it seems you did not even then like it. So was it worth the effort or should you have found a writer you like?
    I beg your pardon? That just seems like random words!

To recap:

No, I didn't like it.

I read it because I wanted to see what the fuss was all about, and if it really was unreadable.

Yes, it was unreadable in places, and a hard slog.

Would I read it again? No. It is in the bin.

Was it worth reading? No - not in the slightest.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Hypothetix wrote:
    Has Trainspotting been mentioned yet? I made the mistake of trying to read it after seeing the film (which I liked). Gave up after about 20 pages. Shocking writer.

I struggled with it at the beginning, but once I got my head around the rhythm of his writing, the slang and local venacular, I really enjoyed it. Strange experience though, as I read the entire thing, in my head, in a broad Glasweigian accent :o
  • Options
    NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I struggled with it at the beginning, but once I got my head around the rhythm of his writing, the slang and local venacular, I really enjoyed it. Strange experience though, as I read the entire thing, in my head, in a broad Glasweigian accent :o
    Absolutely the same experience I had. It helped that I was spending a lot of time in Edinburgh when I was reading it as I had the accent in my head, so the book kind of read itself aloud to me if you see what I mean. In the end I thought it was a great book. Pity his others were rubbish!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member

Brilliant, glad to hear I'm not the only one who did that. Afterwards I had a tendancy to think in a Scottish accent for ages. Worth sticking with though, just as good as the film.
  • Options
    handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm usually careful about my choice of books, and hardly ever start one I don't really want to read. I have abandoned one or two, though:

"A Tale of Two Cities" - started it twice and never got into it. May try again as I enjoy Dickens, but I'm not sure!

"Tess of the D'Urbervilles" My friend at school raved about this, and I loathed it. Load of dreary old tosh.

"Imagica" by Clive Barker - it was a birthday present and not really my thing. Too visceral and unsettling. I gave it a good go but had to stop halfway through.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only book I've ever abandoned is the Life of Pi. Half way through it I decided it was just not for me as it was very hard going! I don't give in easily and usually force myself to read to the end of a book but that one just beat me..
  • Options
    chinchillachinchilla Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like the writing style of Zadie Smith and White Teeth, i found it tedious :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jo1980 wrote:
    As said by other, Time Travellers Wife, Catch 22 and Strange & Norrell

Add to the list Atonement by Ian McEwan
    I adored Time Travellers Wife, Strange & Norrell (& Cloud Atlas has to be one of my all time faves - previously mentioned)! But I gave up on Atonement - really because i could see what was coming (the whole 'wrong blame' thing) and could not put myself through the trauma!! Well written though.
    Can't do Lord of the rings etc..ugh!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. Having heard some good reviews about this book I gave up on it after just a few chapters. The font was to small and the page were packed. Also the story was very hard to get into. I am going to give it another try soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Exorcist. Bought it years ago and have tried to get into it at least 5 times. I even tried starting off from where I last finished aswell as starting from the beginning.

Just find it totally boring.
  • Options
    dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just finished Ulysses for the first time ever last week, which is sad for me because I'm a huge reader. I've just abandoned it so many times. :D

Just finished Ulysses !! Hard going in places, but fair play to him, Mr Joyce is a genius. :)
  • Options
    high_on_candyhigh_on_candy Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The dark tower series by stephen king. I read most of the first but got to the end and though "I really cannot be bothered reading this" Also someone that told me to read them, then turned out to say don't bother as he had finished the whole series and said it ended terribly!lol

Also his dark materials. I liked the first one a bit but found it kinda depressing and never read the rest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    I recently abandoned Animal Farm by George Orwell.
    I just couldn't get into it.
    Am now reading the rather fabulous Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    I gave up on 'How to be Good' by Nick Hornby. I read about half but nothing seemed to have happened and I just couldn't be bothered.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    I gave up on 'How to be Good' by Nick Hornby. I read about half but nothing seemed to have happened and I just couldn't be bothered.

Must say, I read that a while ago and was unimpressed, I can't remember if I finished it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I read it a couple of months ago - nothing happened by the end either. Very unfulfilling.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finished it but I really hated the smugness of the bloke in it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Dostoevsky's The Idiot - just couldnt raise any real empathy, think I am too culturally distant. Heinlein Stranger in a Strange Land - mysoginistic pap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Me too, left me completely cold, will try it again.

Just given up 100 Years of Solitude - just couldn't get into it, kept loosing track of who's who. It's a shame as I was about 3/4 of the way through, but I just couldn't take anymore :(

Me too! I've been meaning to read it for years and I was really determined to get through it but then I put it down for 2 days and just lost the will to keep reading.

My Mum just gave me 'Eve Green' by Susan Fletcher but I had to stop after about 100 pages because I just wasn't gripped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hate doing this and always make a point to struggle through to the end - just in case there's a twist or a book really picks up towards the end... But recently I did just give up on...

The Corrections - by Jonathan Franzen ... Read loads of good reviews of it and got almost half-way through it, but just got so bored... Anyone else manage to finish it?

I picked up the Corrections about a year ago when it was on special offer with some paper or another and I did finish it but weirdly couldn't really give you an opinion (or even much of a synopsis) now. You're not missing much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've just given up on a really, really bad piece of ChickLit - Agent Provocateur by Faith Bleasdale. I made it through 70 pages, but just can't stand any of the characters, think the writing's terrible and had to quit. Good job it was only a library book really!

On the subject of chick lit - maybe someone can explain the appeal of Jenny Colgan??? I was given one of her books by a friend and only read the first 2 pages before I was forced to throw it across the room!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of chick lit - maybe someone can explain the appeal of Jenny Colgan??? I was given one of her books by a friend and only read the first 2 pages before I was forced to throw it across the room!

Her first two were dire - but I have to say I've loved her recent ones. I think its the way she hides fantasy and mythology under a fluffy guise. Just because I'm a lover of both chick lit and sf/fantasy and there's not much that covers both :D
  • Options
    GinaGoldGinaGold Posts: 14,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Mill House by Susan Lewis. I just couldn't get past the first page, and might go back to it later.