Options

EE: Should Dean suffer SADS

GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
Forum Member
Sudden Adult Death syndrome.

I think after such an unsavoury storyline it's a very satisfactory way to end "The Dean Situation".

Karma will get you in the end. I think that's a good message to send out.

Should Dean suffer SADS 27 votes

Yes
40% 11 votes
No
59% 16 votes

Comments

• Options
    The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    Why would this be a satisfactory end to the storyline? A satisfactory ending would be him confessing what he did and going to prison for it.

SADS is a storyline EastEnders could explore, but why Dean? If he died suddenly, there'd be no resolution. He HAS to realise/admit what he did. That's the only ending I'd totally buy as a 'satisfactory' ending.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He should confess to the police then be killed by his prison cellmate
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was a joke thread about seasonal affective disorder! Ooooops
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No , he needs to pay for his crime and his victim needs to get justice and her story believed
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, Dean dying will not solve the problem or end the story well.
  • Options
    MediaMan5MediaMan5 Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not sure I like the idea of SADS being used as 'karma' for Dean, comes across a bit insensitive. I've thought for a while that a soap should tackle SADS but it would need to be very sensitively done and really show the effect it has on the family whose lives are literally ripped apart in a second. We have had SIDS a few times but SADS is something that is often overlooked and would be very powerful and emotional if done right, which it would need to be! I don't think Dean is the right character to do this with.
  • Options
    imawotsitimawotsit Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    They want this to be realistic. The most realistic ending is for there to be no ending. It's rare that a victim gets justice. It's rare that a rapist gets what they deserve. He won't pay. Rapists rarely pay for what they've done. I speak from my own experience and that of MANY victims I know.
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »

You weren't the only one!:D
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    imawotsit wrote: »
    They want this to be realistic. The most realistic ending is for there to be no ending. It's rare that a victim gets justice. It's rare that a rapist gets what they deserve. He won't pay. Rapists rarely pay for what they've done. I speak from my own experience and that of MANY victims I know.

I'm not sure many people have to live across the road from their rapists.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member

I agree. I'm a rape (and other sexual assault) survivor. I spoke to a female police officer in a rape centre a year after I was raped but the men who raped me got away with it. The police never pressed charges. It was my word against theirs. Only a tiny number of rape victims get justice. Not only that but women have been taken to court for "lying" about being raped. This will put many women off reporting rape. I think it's true to life on Eastenders the way they've written the rape story. Even if you report it straight away it's hard to prove. Also people have the strange attitude that if a man's good looking that he "wouldn't need" to rape someone. Rape is about power, violence and control. It's not about attraction. I agree that the realistic "ending" to the rape story is that Dean will get away with it. I have a feeling he will start obsessively harassing Shabnam and some people ie Shirley and Buster will see Dean differently though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    I agree. I'm a rape (and other sexual assault) survivor. I spoke to a female police officer in a rape centre a year after I was raped but the men who raped me got away with it. The police never pressed charges. It was my word against theirs. Only a tiny number of rape victims get justice. Not only that but women have been taken to court for "lying" about being raped. This will put many women off reporting rape. I think it's true to life on Eastenders the way they've written the rape story. Even if you report it straight away it's hard to prove. Also people have the strange attitude that if a man's good looking that he "wouldn't need" to rape someone. Rape is about power, violence and control. It's not about attraction. I agree that the realistic "ending" to the rape story is that Dean will get away with it. I have a feeling he will start obsessively harassing Shabnam and some people ie Shirley and Buster will see Dean differently though.

I'm very sorry that you had such a horrific experience :(:(:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, just show Dean cracking up and becoming more and more unstable and guilty over what he did to Linda, eventually confessing, apologising and either leaving the square or radically having Linda forgive him.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said. Too many on this forum seem to think that rape victims get justice when sadly this rarely happens.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    He should confess to the police then be killed by his prison cellmate

Can Linda chop his balls off first? :D
  • Options
    Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too!
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »

Lack of GONADS instead of SADS?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »

:D:D:D
  • Options
    PoppyHoneyPoppyHoney Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Here I was hoping it stood for Sudden Asshole Death Syndrome!
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His mental state needs looking at. he should be sent to a mental unit in prison but appear occasionally.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Well said. Too many on this forum seem to think that rape victims get justice when sadly this rarely happens.

Exactly! If anything it sends the message out that rape should be reported ASAP rather then. It shows the consequences of having the rapist walk free by leaving it too late.
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »

I'm so sorry to hear that :( they should ideally of been sent down but it is hard to intially get your head around as soon as it's happened. Hope your ok now?

Also a small number of people do lie but that's a very small minority. Really no rape victim should be taken to court for lying as the majority of them have been raped and taking Jen to court when they weren't lying is only going to make them feel even worse .
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not justice at all IMO.

Maybe Linda could get hold of a gun from Ronnie (I want to see them develop a friendship and Ron has not properly interacted with the Carters) who can relate to her rape ordeal as it happened to her at a young age. From that Linda has a showdown with Dean pulling the trigger on him. It's out of character for Linda, but the situation could drive her to taking drastic measures.
  • Options
    demented yoyodemented yoyo Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would this be a satisfactory end to the storyline? A satisfactory ending would be him confessing what he did and going to prison for it.

SADS is a storyline EastEnders could explore, but why Dean? If he died suddenly, there'd be no resolution. He HAS to realise/admit what he did. That's the only ending I'd totally buy as a 'satisfactory' ending.

And Shirley needs to hear him confessing, I can't see her ever believing it otherwise.
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member

So did I.
    xTonix wrote: »

I really wish someone would.
    0...0 wrote: »

:D
    And Shirley needs to hear him confessing, I can't see her ever believing it otherwise.

Yes I think he needs to be caught out and shown up publically for what he is and be disowned by everyone including Shirley, Buster and Denise. I think Buster is well on the way to seeing the truth.

Oh and in before someone turns up to say Dean's not evil and that he mourned his grandad's death. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    What did Billie (Carol's son) die of? Was it SADS or alcohol related?

(I too thought Seasonal Affective Disorder!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    hope he dies an takes the Ebola carters with him.