Options

What constitutes a car insurance claim?

TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
Forum Member
i have just phoned my car insurer to get a quote on a new car and they say i have made a claim in the last five years which i do not believeid the case.

I notified them that my car got rear ended last year but minimal damage they sent me loads of gumph trying to get me to sue and whatever the bloke was never found even though i took reg details, his details and had a witness, i never made a claim or had any money from my policy and my car did not go to a garage.

Please help?

Comments

• Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd ask them to supply proof that you have made a claim, in writing.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    I'd ask them to supply proof that you have made a claim, in writing.

Are they mixing up a claim with an accident? In theory, one's supposed to report every accident to the insurance company, even if you're not claiming. Personally, I don't, especially if it's me who's accidentally misjudged the width of the car park entrance (:cry:) and decided to pay up myself. If the company has recorded that the OP has had an accident, even if not claiming and perhaps not even responsible, that would still increase their risk factor.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    If the company has recorded that the OP has had an accident, even if not claiming and perhaps not even responsible, that would still increase their risk factor.

Exactly.

Insurance companies adjust premiums to reflect risk factors, which include motoring convictions & accidents (regardless of blame), & to comply with the terms of their policy, policyholders are required to report all such incidents.

Not everyone does of course ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yosemite wrote: »
    Exactly.

Insurance companies adjust premiums to reflect risk factors, which include motoring convictions & accidents (regardless of blame), & to comply with the terms of their policy, policyholders are required to report all such incidents.

Not everyone does of course ...

teach me for being honest, that's annoying i was stationery at the time. 12 years nothing then this.

I just rang them and had a go and they said it is only logged on their system and will not count as an official claim if i look to change companies when my policy is up whether this is true or not i do not know, they could have just wanted me off the phone.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    I just rang them and had a go and they said it is only logged on their system and will not count as an official claim if i look to change companies when my policy is up ...

I'm afraid that this is pretty much irrelevant, as a new insurer will rarely (if ever) communicate with your previous insurer.

However, when you complete a proposal with a new insurer, you are required to disclose any accidents of convictions (typically within the preceding 5 years), as such details form an integral part of your legal contract with them.

If you chose not to disclose this incident, you would escape an increased premium, but if they were to discover this at a later date (after another accident), they would be entitled to void your policy on the grounds that you had failed to disclose material facts.

It's perfectly understandable that you find this situation irritating, but I wouldn't recommend going down this route - the consequences could be much worse ...
    TWS wrote: »
    ...whether this is true or not i do not know, they could have just wanted me off the phone

Probably.

I would guess what they meant was that they had recorded the accident, but it didn't result in a claim & therefore hadn't affected your No Claims Discount (if you have one).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    will have to see what happens next year when i need to insure the car again then.
  • Options
    The Unknown OneThe Unknown One Posts: 21,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to confirm, twice in the last year I have been rear-ended whilst stationary. Twice I have reported the incidents to my insurers, who say they won't increase my premium because they were relatively minor incidents so I either didn't claim or resolved the issue privately.

However when checking around for quotes with other insurers, it clear states -

'Have you been involved in any accidents in the last 5 years, regardless of blame, and regardless of whether a claim was made or not?'

In this instance I would have to own up to the two instances, despite neither being my fault. It's distinctly unfair, but unfortunately there's not a lot you can do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oh i would not lie it was just that they confused me by using the word claim when i hadn't but it has been cleared up now as far as possible.
  • Options
    HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    I'm afraid that this is pretty much irrelevant, as a new insurer will rarely (if ever) communicate with your previous insurer.

Yes they do. They use the Claims and Underwriting Exchange (CUE). Some use it at New Business stage. Some only use it at claim stage. Either way if you haven't disclosed an incident you could be in trouble.

Something like this, which is probably non fault with no payments made, shouldn't count against you. I would advise you to contact them and ask whether the claim is still open on their records, and when they are likely to close it.