What can I do in New York in October?

quiniequinie Posts: 1,493
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm going to New York in October to celebrate/commiserate my 40th birthday. We will be there from 26th-31st October.

Any tips on where to go and what to do?

Comments

• Rebel StimsonRebel Stimson Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could I be so bold in asking who you booked with as I want to go around the same time. Also what airline and hotel did you book? Thanks
  • quiniequinie Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We booked with Thomas Cook - we are going with Delta Airlines £1,700 for the two of us - staying at the Helmsley Hotel.

So excited!!!:D
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Is it the first time you've been?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    If you've not been before, do the bus tours! They are a fantastic way to see the city, and the tour guides are great. You can hop on and off when you like, and it's a great way to see things you just wouldn't have the time to see in a few days.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Central Park, Ellis Island, 5th Avenue ........ and shops! The ferry tours are good too - up the Hudson to see Brooklyn Bridge etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So much to do...walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and back (if you time it right - about 4pm say - you can walk back and watch the sun setting over the Manhattan skyline as you do so), go to the Empire State Building, top of the Rockefeller Centre (I actually preferred the view here - it's not as high as the ESB but the view is amazing), go to the Statue Of Liberty and Ellis Island, shop at Century 21 (this is very near Ground Zero and sells lots of designer stuff dirt cheap).

Also, these people at http://www.circleline42.com/new-york-cruises.aspx do a fantastic selection of cruises, including a 3 hour round trip of the whole island. So you see the tourist sights like downtown and the Brooklyn Bridge, but you also see the northern tip of the island as well. You used to go past the old Yankee Stadium this way, but I think that's been knocked down now (but could be wrong).

If you're into museums, then MOMA, Natural History, the Met and the Guggenheim are all incredible.

Have fun - I'm thinking of going again in November.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will you actually be there for Halloween night? Its an amazing experience - the Americans go nuts for the holiday. There's a big costume parade in Greenwich village which is well worth checking out to see all the amazing costumes people go to the effort of making - http://www.halloween-nyc.com/

There are also loads of special events and club nights put on.. everyone should experience Halloween in NYC at least once! Seeing the subway invaded by zombies is great fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trick-or-Treating :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went at the same time a couple of years ago. I echo the statements that the yanks LOVE Halloween.

There is literally tons to do in New York. If you like shopping, tourist spots, or simply a bike-ride around central park, doubtful you could ever be bored during a short break. Fantastic place to visit.

It'll be just as cold in NY as it is here, so pack warm clothes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smerph wrote: »
    I went at the same time a couple of years ago. I echo the statements that the yanks LOVE Halloween.

There is literally tons to do in New York. If you like shopping, tourist spots, or simply a bike-ride around central park, doubtful you could ever be bored during a short break. Fantastic place to visit.

It'll be just as cold in NY as it is here, so pack warm clothes.

There are loads of threads on this board regarding things to do in NYC... just do a search and you'll get enough advice on stuff to do to keep you busy for a month!

But yeah, by the time it gets to Halloween it does get quite cold... unlike now... its currently reaching 40C/105F... people are dropping in the streets from heat stroke! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under a week visit to New York for £850 per person seems quite a lot??
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flights and hotels? Depends on the hotel, but when I went in September flights were around £300 each return, and the hotel worked out at about £100 a night. That'd be £1300 for the 7 nights I was there.

If it's a better hotel than the one I was in, then £1700 would easily be eaten up with room and flights. (Oh yes, just looked up the hotel, and definitely in the luxury category!)

I stayed in the Ramada Eastside (An Applecore Hotel, think they're just affiliated with Ramada), on 30th and Lexington, was nice, but only really a 3* hotel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prankz wrote: »
    Under a week visit to New York for £850 per person seems quite a lot??

Seems very reasonable to me. Accommodation costs are hellishly expensive in New York - usually around 70-100 per night for a cheap hotel before they add tax and flights are often around 300 to 400 return around that time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flashdancers, on Broadway just off Times Square. Brilliant!:)
  • cardiffstecardiffste Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I stayed at the Helmsley Hotel - really good location on e42nd street - a five minute walk to times square and fith avenue. Tip: Email the hotel the week before you are due to arrive and tell them it is your 40th birthday so can they give you a nice room on a high floor. We did this and they were fab as it was my friends 50th and they put us on the top floor - fantastic views and really nice corner rooms.

Dont have brekkie at the hotel: If you just want a quick breakfast then next door is a really good cafe and nowhere near as expensive as the hotel for breakfast. For a treat, head down to central station and opposite the station is a cafe/bar (under the bridge) which does brilliant american fried breakfasts.