In debt to student loan company

christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, I was just wondering if someone could answer this for me.
I'm applying to the open university for financial support, however one question asks whether I'm in debt to the student loans company already or in the arrears.
Thing is I have had a loan with them in the past but due to ill health (depression , anxiety, and alopecia) I had to quit, does that mean I'm in debt to them? As it was my understanding you had to earn over a certain amount to be able to pay them back, so I'm a bit confused.
I'm unsure whether I'm eligible or not.

If anyone has any advice I'd be really grateful.

Comments

• Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you had a loan from them it sounds as though you're in debt to them. Being below the threshold at which you start making repayments doesn't mean that the debt doesn't exist. But it doesn't seem as if you're in arrears.

The easist thing would be just to ask them!
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you had to earn over a certain amount before you pay them back... It can't be your fault if you never have surely?
    Build up more debt maybe
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    if you took a loan from them and haven't yet paid it back then yes, you are in debt to them.

you don't start making payments until you earn the minimum threshold, but the debt is still there. as soon as you hit that threshold then they'll start taking payments.
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We shall see what happens I suppose.
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, just looking at the the open university finance form it says I'm not eligible if;
    you are in debt to the University or in arrears to the
    Student Loans Company; or
    you already hold an undergraduate honours degree

So, I'm not in the arrears as I haven't earned enough to pay them back yet, I think I'm correct in saying that.
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, just looking at the the open university finance form it says I'm not eligible if;
    you are in debt to the University or in arrears to the
    Student Loans Company; or
    you already hold an undergraduate honours degree

So, I'm not in the arrears as I haven't earned enough to pay them back yet, I think I'm correct in saying that.

If you haven't contacted the Student Loans Company to defer payments, they probably do have you listed as in arrears (they have no way of knowing you aren't earning enough if you haven't told them).

You need to contact them (the SLC) - you should be receiving a statement from them every year showing your debt amount, plus a payment deferment form to return let them know that you do not earn enough to be making payments.

Once you've sorted that out, then you can be confident you are not listed as in arrears to them. Hope this helps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luckylila wrote: »
    If you haven't contacted the Student Loans Company to defer payments, they probably do have you listed as in arrears (they have no way of knowing you aren't earning enough if you haven't told them).

You need to contact them (the SLC) - you should be receiving a statement from them every year showing your debt amount, plus a payment deferment form to return let them know that you do not earn enough to be making payments.

Once you've sorted that out, then you can be confident you are not listed as in arrears to them. Hope this helps.

I get a statement every year, but never a form to tell them I'm not earning enough.
  • alijalij Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I get a statement every year, but never a form to tell them I'm not earning enough.

I don' think you have to tell them, as it just kicks in automatically and adjusts depending on how much you earn via HMRC. So yes you have a loan but you are not in arrears.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickWhite wrote: »
    I thought you had to earn over a certain amount before you pay them back... It can't be your fault if you never have surely?
    Build up more debt maybe

Its not a question of "fault" they just want to know the amount you owe because that will affect the new loan/finance he is granted