Options

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    No thanks
    zx50 wrote: »
    No. I hope that particular smilie doesn't come back. It smacks of arrogance.

Agree. Arrogance and condescending. Absolutely NO.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Yes please
    The Net wrote: »
    Agree. Arrogance and condescending. Absolutely NO.

In what way is it condescending?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I got rid of rolleyes from our forum once and put the Hitler smiley in its place. Fun times.
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes please
    Lets my the pussy one the new roll eyes :kitty:

that pussy just drips of sarcasm

who does not all love a good wet pussy sarcasm?
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    No thanks
    No, I think it's a terrible smiley. It's so condescending and patronizing, and the fact that most people don't know how to use it makes it even worse.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes please
    I got rid of rolleyes from our forum once and put the Hitler smiley in its place. Fun times.
    Services: Old Boilers??
    Is that right? I find it easier to remember some people if I see more info about them.
  • Options
    Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    No thanks
    Most people will inevitably want to roll their eyes, argue, insult, and generally be arrogant and nasty. Sadly that is human nature. The rolleyes smiley empowers users to simply "press a button" in order to be evil. Taking away that liberty would annoy most people.

The admins therefore have to decide if they want happy users, or a better standard of forum where horrible behaviour is not encouraged.

Since the rolleyes smiley is Digital Spy's only evil smiley, to me it would seem to make sense to get rid of it purely for the sake of consistency. There are plenty of other forums with a range of nasty smileys, where rudeness and arrogance is actively encouraged.

I say either get rid of rolleyes, or bring in lots of nasty smileys, let people be as disrespectful as they like, and be done with it.
    In what way is it condescending?
    In what way does smiling mean someone is happy? People just know what an expression means. That's why we have smileys in the first place. Eye-rolling = arrogance, condescension, haughtiness and disrespect. I have never seen anyone roll their eyes who wasn't putting someone down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes please
    Most people will inevitably want to roll their eyes, argue, insult, and generally be arrogant and nasty. Sadly that is human nature. The rolleyes smiley empowers users to simply "press a button" in order to be evil. Taking away that liberty would annoy most people.

The admins therefore have to decide if they want happy users, or a better standard of forum where horrible behaviour is not encouraged.

Since the rolleyes smiley is Digital Spy's only evil smiley, to me it would seem to make sense to get rid of it purely for the sake of consistency. There are plenty of other forums with a range of nasty smileys, where rudeness and arrogance is actively encouraged.

I say either get rid of rolleyes, or bring in lots of nasty smileys, let people be as disrespectful as they like, and be done with it.

In what way does smiling mean someone is happy? People just know what an expression means. That's why we have smileys in the first place. Eye-rolling = arrogance, condescension, haughtiness and disrespect. I have never seen anyone roll their eyes who wasn't putting someone down in some way.
    i wouldn`t describe rolleyes as condescending, it`s not pretending to hide its disdain, the normal yellow smile very often is though.
  • Options
    merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see ANY smileys at all since the change, I have no idea where they are! So I'm reduced to typing in the appropriate smiley. A bit sad since I only know :) and :(.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes please
    merlinsmum wrote: »
    I can't see ANY smileys at all since the change, I have no idea where they are! So I'm reduced to typing in the appropriate smiley. A bit sad since I only know :) and :(.

have you accidentally disabled them? just scroll down a bit on the reply page and tick the box if you have.
  • Options
    merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have you accidentally disabled them? just scroll down a bit on the reply page and tick the box if you have.

I'm seeing the submit reply box with no extras around it at all, and nothing to scroll.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes please
    I'm seeing the submit reply box with no extras around it at all, and nothing to scroll.

have you tried a different browser?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes please
    have you tried a different browser?
    But several people have posted it is fine and the design is great. Changing the browser won't make a difference.
    Oh, hang on....
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Yes please
    Yes bring him/her back!
  • Options
    Erica CartmanErica Cartman Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes please
    Bring it back I need it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No thanks
    Roll-eyes was a lazy way of dismissing another forum member's post. Perhaps without it people will have to put some effort into their put-downs.
  • Options
    Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    No thanks
    onefineday wrote: »
    Roll-eyes was a lazy way of dismissing another forum member's post. Perhaps without it people will have to put some effort into their put-downs.
    Maybe instead we could have a new smiley that's a lazy way of agreeing with someone else's post (an alternative to saying "This."). Like, a thumbs up with an arrow pointing upwards? I bet that would get a lot of use!
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Yes please
    Cant live with out it.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe instead we could have a new smiley that's a lazy way of agreeing with someone else's post (an alternative to saying "This."). Like, a thumbs up with an arrow pointing upwards? I bet that would get a lot of use!

It could be assigned the code :me too: (ah, now that takes me back a few years!
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Yes please

What browser are you using? its a strange problem.
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 70,800
    Administrator

Hi,

Have you tried tinkering with the options in your User Control Panel? Under Edit Options at the very bottom there is a box that allows you to change the message editor interface. If you have chosen 'A simple textbox', this will disable everything including the smiley and BB code box.

Have edited the function on your account and it should be displaying again in the advanced posting interface (not quick reply). If it hasn't, could you reply here with information regarding your browser and the version of it? A screenshot would be very helpful too if possible.

The rolleyes emote and some of his friends took up arms in our office and wanted a pay rise. When refused, they went into early retirement which we are not pursuing.
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes please
    Hi,

Have you tried tinkering with the options in your User Control Panel? Under Edit Options at the very bottom there is a box that allows you to change the message editor interface. If you have chosen 'A simple textbox', this will disable everything including the smiley and BB code box.

Have edited the function on your account and it should be displaying again in the advanced posting interface (not quick reply). If it hasn't, could you reply here with information regarding your browser and the version of it? A screenshot would be very helpful too if possible.

The rolleyes emote and some of his friends took up arms in our office and wanted a pay rise. When refused, they went into early retirement which we are not pursuing.
    So are we never, ever going to see the rolleyes emoticon ever again on DS? :cry:

Mr :cry: doesn't want no pay rise and is quite happy with his wage. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes please
    Hi,

So, were our smileys out on strike action and have now crossed the picket line? I'm not sure I can make a fully formed decision about the rights and wrongs of this until the tribunal has been heard :(
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Yes please
    yes, i miss the rolleyes smillie
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No thanks
    nah .