Options

Would you eat Horse meat?

Comments

• Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I tend to eat any meat that's in front of me so, apart from rodents, if its cooked properly, i'll try it.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I would.
  • Options
    aligailaligail Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    No I wouldn't though I have no problems with other people eating horsemeat - but I would not eat them because I have had much loved horses of my own and have emotional attachments to them - like I do with my dogs - and I could never eat dog meat either.
    I have also worked with cattle, sheep and pigs but don't feel the same connection with them and am happy eating their meat. It may be illogical but that's how I feel .
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not touch it with a 10 ft barge poll.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say I'd have any serious objection to trying some if it was plonked in front of me, but have heard it's meant to taste a little pony....
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have done. Its good.
    And goat, like lamb but fattier.
    And ostrich, just horrible. And theres a farm near us that rears bison. They have a takeaway that does superb burgers.
    Its all just meat.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I would. I eat chicken, beef and veal, lamb, pork. I've eaten frogs legs, snake, buffalo and pigeon, I'd give horse meat a go.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a vegan so no.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I ate horse meat as a child as well as rabbit which is also a taboo meat nowadays.

Both meats are rather nice to eat.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    cantos wrote: »
    I ate horse meat as a child as well as rabbit which is also a taboo meat nowadays.

Is it?
    If anything i'd say it's made a resurgence the amount of times I see it on menus and TV shows.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Is it?
    If anything i'd say it's made a resurgence the amount of times I see it on menus and TV shows.

Yes I have noticed Rabbit being used on Masterchef recently, but it has been out of favour for a few years
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had horse pate. But I'd love to try a horse steak or horse burger.
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didnt watch countryfile but I dont understand the point about eating horses that would otherwise starve. If the horse has had any unrecorded or unsuitable veterinary treatment it cant be eaten. The starving horses would have to be accompanied by the right passport at the slaughter house and I doubt owners who leave their horses to starve would be that vigilant about their passport.

I have owned horses for decades so couldn't eat one. Its not a moral objection because I dont mind other people tucking in but I have treated too many wounds and seeing bloody meat would remind me of the wounds so it would put me off.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to cut down on meat eating so I wouldn't feel any need to try another species.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I'd try any kind of meat as long as it wasn't human or rotten.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cantos wrote: »

I had rabbit once in France. It's nice. Although a few of the girls refused to eat it once they heard it was rabbit.

Tell you what it was better than the spinal cord of god knows what animal that we got a week before.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with horse meat, except sometimes it tastes a little sweet.
    I often eat it when I'm back home, you'll see it on a menu as 'viande de cheval'.
    Before my wife was as proficient in French as she is now, she'd leave it me to order for her in restaurants.
    She expressed a preference for steak one evening in Lille, and I ordered viande de cheval for her.
    This was years back, and when she was almost done with her dinner, I said, "You do know that you've just eaten Shergar, don't you?"
    She had been saying how much she was enjoying her dinner up till then, but she went bananas when I told her, I think that it was the first time she had called me "un branleur" and got the pronunciation correct!
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Yes I have had horsemeat in France, tongue was very tasty, with green beans and a nice gravy. I would eat it here. As Jean says it is sweet, but succulent and meaty as well to me!

Don't like rabbit, not a pleasant taste for me.
  • Options
    FooxFoox Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes

i eat pigs, cows, lambs, duck etc why not horse? draw the line at dog unless im in korea
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I would and probably already have on my trips abroad.
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    When I was in colledge we went on a trip to Paris. On the first night we had dinner at a place that seemed to have only two mains - roast chicken or steak.

Most asked for steak well done, including me, but the staff refused and said it could be medium at most :D
    Good for them. Quite right too. Steaks should be bleu or, if you really insist, saignant. A good steak should have a fighting chance to to get up off the plate and run away before you get your fork in to it. :D
    The tutor joked that it was horse steak but i'm unsure that he was joking because it was a different steak to any i've tried since.
    Very, very unlikely to be horse meat in the sort of place that just serves up poulet roti and steak for students. You'd know it if was horse - if only from the price!
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was in a 'horsemeat' eating country then yes.

They must do something with them when they die anyway - glue?

I draw the line at dog, and monkey.

Rabbit tastes just like chicken, I don't get the hate for that either. Rabbit pie an' all, traditional.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep with no worries whatsoever :)
  • Options
    BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A horse is no more sacred than a cow, tuck in horse meat is lean & tasty.

I'd avoid pork though.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Considering I eat other types of meat, I would be a complete hypocrite if I refused to eat horse meat. So yes.

Bex said it for me.