Options

Doctor Who: Listen BBC One/HD /09/2014 7.30 pm Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    lindop1993lindop1993 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was expecting jumpscares so i wasn't thinking of the story when i was watching it, i'll watch it again then decide but all in all it was a very interesting episode and hooray for more doctor backstory :D
    who knew it was clara that was responsible for the doctor fighting in the time war
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was incredible.

Absolutely incredible.

Watch it again, knowing that there is no bad guy, there is nothing under the bed, the monster in Danny's room was just a kid. Everything has a rational explanation...

Right?

Right?

Right?

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    So they can just go to Gallifrey whenever they want now?
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so ...

what was the last shot - the hand with the ring putting the toy soldier down , who was that ?
  • Options
    SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So so so much better.

I'm sure the kiddies and the rainbow and sunshine lollipop brigade on here won't think so compared to pantomime Who last week though.

Perfectly possible to like both of them. Everyone watching here certainly did.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the best episodes ever. Simply stunning!
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    These were usually the sorts of episodes that left me disinterested when I'd watched the show before, but I loved that. The contrast between it and last week's episode was... quite something, wasn't it?
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Moffat does good he does very very good! And that was very very good! Excellent episode.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best use of a Predestination Paradox ever..Clara teaching a young Doctor what the old Doctor has taught her.

Lovely stuff.

Doctors personal comments about Clara were very funny and Capaldis performance was sublime.

Clara felt like a real person for the first time.

Loved it 9.5 out of 10
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    El Medico wrote: »

We know the Time War is locked, but has it ever been confirmed that the entirety of Gallifrey's history has also been locked?
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    incredible episode best one for a very long time.
  • Options
    topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    The doctor makes a nighttime visit to a childrens home in the 90's.

Another childhood hero tarnished.....;)

This made me LOL

I missed the first 5 mins and then the whole thing made no sense so I think I need to rewatch.
    I really like Capaldi's doctor so far though
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Thought that was bloody fantastic, acting was superb. But we know who was under the Drs bed, so who was under (on top?!) Rupert/Dan's and under Clara's?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what I've just seen but maybe it was one of the best episodes ever.
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weirdest episode ever. Didn't really get what was supposed to be going on by the time Clara went back to her date but it was worth sticking around with; what an ending!

Having said that, I'm still not warming to the style of this series. I like Capaldi in the role and I love his relationship with Clara but I'm not really enjoying the stories. I feel it's strayed too far from what made DW so successful in recent years; the style of the stories is completely different and to be frank is just odd. I get that they want to try new and different things but I think it's too much all at once. A few more episodes in a vein similar to last weeks wouldn't go amiss. Episodes such as the one which aired tonight should be few and far between. I also felt like this episode was bordering on soap opera at times, especially with all the date stuff.
  • Options
    PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who is at its greatest when it's creepy.
    This was bloody well creepy.
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a brilliant episode for me. Totally forgot that SM had written it, it was that good!

That thing on the bed...just about wet myself...:o
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sombre and funny, thought provoking and tense, probably as good as Doctor Who has ever been...well done Mr Moffat
  • Options
    WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    cracking episode.

but how did the toy soldier get from the Doctor to Rupert's home??

Wibbley Wobbley Timey Wimey stuff??
  • Options
    doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst of a good bunch for me this week.

It was just too confusing and you could tell it was Moffat's work. I found Danny/Colonel a very uneasy character to watch. I think there were many strong elements but I was expecting more. It was still good. Next week's looks fab.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    So what or who was under the blanket? :confused:
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    wow, that was incredable, great sense of building drama, and a really beautifully played out conclusion, pretty close to flawless. Really wonderful performances and terrific script. The first classic of the Capaldi era for me.

Breathtaking wasn't it? Yes it was hyped. Yes it delivered. In fact it was better than I thought. A classic. And that cast! Oh that cast! What amazing performances across the board.

Tell me I'm easily pleased. Tell me I'm a blinkered fan boy. Tell me I'm wrong. I don't even care. That was a joy to watch.
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    We know the Time War is locked, but has it ever been confirmed that the entirety of Gallifrey's history has also been locked?

But it's not locked? As confirmed by Matt's return to the war in the 50th (or so I've perceived it?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Loved that so very, very much. Infinitely better than last week's nonsense. Capaldi swung back and forth between scary, hilarious and tragically pitiful, sometimes within seconds.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    El Medico wrote: »

As the cloister bell was tolling I'd say that the Tardis was not happy at all about being there. So, no, they can't just go to Gallifrey. It was a matter of The Tardis being linked up with the Doctor's subconsciousness.