Options

Silent Witness Series 18 starts tomorrow 06/01/2015

Comments

• Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the idea of the little girl stabbing her abuser with a screwdriver was a bit weak - how does she come to be carrying a screwdriver in the first place? OK, she might have been planning to do it, but a screwdriver long enough to go in through the back and sever the aorta? How did she keep that hidden? And would she have enough strength even if she managed to avoid hitting bone and cartilage?

Another trivial point - it's mentioned that he was stabbed with a cross-point screwdriver, but at one point we see a picture of an ordinary flat-blade screwdriver.

There are continuity errors............... and then there are continuity errors :)
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People keep predicting the demise of SW but it's currently out performing Broadchurch and winning its slot. The plots and general scenario are as implausible as ever, if not more so but the entertainment value (providing you don't stumble into a plot hole) is higher than ever! The current team works will together. It would be difficult to see it surviving if Nikki were to leave but you never know.:D
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Social Worker was played well. She had folks (audience) not trusting her initially which is how many social workers are viewed. You learned from her talks with Nikki that she was almost paralysed through fear of making the wrong decision. It was Nikki who told her to err on the side of caution regarding the baby.

I predicted the second episode but it was still very enjoyable. Well I thought the social worker may die but pleased she didn't. Not sure she would have been back at work dealing with the workload quickly.

Re: the lad. I took it his grandmother created the story to cover for him.

Do social workers always act alone? If she hadn't met Nikki who would she have confided in? There would have been someone in her department, surely? I was surprised why she didn't trust the doctor's report about the baby's blood deficiency(?) or allow the parents to have a second opinion.
    Paralysed with fear or not, I had no empathy for her. The actress did a good job in portraying that.

How true was that episode to life? Will parents be scared to take their babies to hospital if bruises similar to those on the baby showed up?

I think the boy frightened/ threatened his mother's boyfriend, but don't think he actually killed him. He seemed far too relaxed with his sister at the end. It's more likely the Grandfather killed the boyfriend in order to silence him.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I thought the hamster was very good though.
    Perhaps Lilly could team up with Harry the gecko from DiP in their own spin off show? :D
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the episode was quite good, not as good as the previous episodes of this season, probably was a bit far fetched a 8 year killing a grown man and the representation of the social worker was pretty poor but still a very good episode. The hamster was brilliant :D

Emilia Fox is brilliant!
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All a bit of a mess to be honest. Still Thomas hardly even feautures. Much preffered last weeks 2 parter. This was the worst of the 3 so far and next weeks looks dreadful.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Richard Lintern despairs at being in this programme when his best line is "but why was the hamster in the car?" he just isnt used enough.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    I wonder if Richard Lintern despairs at being in this programme when his best line is "but why was the hamster in the car?" he just isnt used enough.
    It's really strange how little he is used, considering he gets credited at the beginning, while Liz Carr doesn't.

I enjoyed these episodes.
    Okay, there were continuity errors and plot holes, not to mention unanswered questions about hamsters :).
    But the series is still enjoyable and is knocking Broadchurch into the curb.

Not so sure about next week's episodes though. Nothing there has grabbed my interest, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All a bit of a mess to be honest. Still Thomas hardly even feautures. Much preffered last weeks 2 parter. This was the worst of the 3 so far and next weeks looks dreadful.

I thought this weeks one was a lot better than last week. Funny how different episodes work for different people.

But I do agree next week looks awful :(
  • Options
    jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred this weeks to last weeks. I thought it was quite a good look at how hard it is to be a social worker and the pressure of getting it right is so important. I think the social worker put the baby into care because she was burnt by what happened to Lizzie, it made her over cautious. But by ignoring the young doctors advice it didn't look good on her. But again I think this was meant to show the pressures of the job.

I kind of ignored the probability of the forensic crew playing detectives, I mean in Diagnosis Murder you have the surgeon and his team doing police work and finding the killer, even though the surgeons son is a cop, so why not the forensic team?!!!:D

I actually really enjoyed how this was done, 3 cases linked to one person. Yeah there was some plot holes, but found if I don't think about them too much I liked the way the stories went, especially the hamster boy one (sorry, can't remember his name!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Perhaps Lilly could team up with Harry the gecko from DiP in their own spin off show? :D

Oh good idea. :D
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Social Worker was played well. She had folks (audience) not trusting her initially which is how many social workers are viewed. You learned from her talks with Nikki that she was almost paralysed through fear of making the wrong decision. It was Nikki who told her to err on the side of caution regarding the baby.

I predicted the second episode but it was still very enjoyable. Well I thought the social worker may die but pleased she didn't. Not sure she would have been back at work dealing with the workload quickly.

Re: the lad. I took it his grandmother created the story to cover for him.

If I was a social worker I'd be livid with that portrayal just awful
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    If I was a social worker I'd be livid with that portrayal just awful

It was about the realities of the decisions social workers make. At no point did they make out she was doing it for anything other than best intentions. Her decisions led to consequences she could never have envisaged. As for the baby that decision was made when she was at breaking point and it was Nikki who told her to err on the side of caution. I bet social workers could identify with her far more than you think. They are not superhuman with special powers of being able to see the future even though media in particular expects them to be.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »

:D:D
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Despite Nikki and co acting more like police than pathologists, continuity errors and stretching credulity at times I'm still enjoying SW. I thought last nights episode was full of tension.
  • Options
    racey43racey43 Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Despite Nikki and co acting more like police than pathologists, continuity errors and stretching credulity at times I'm still enjoying SW.
    I'm enjoying it too. I overlook the points you mention. It took a while to adjust but I'm now happy that Nikki accompanies the police on interviews. In fact, I'm just happy to see Nikki :D
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Only thing I did not understand was why stoneface Nikki suddenly let her emotions show over this week's case? Is this a precursor to her finding herself pregnant?
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    racey43 wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it too. I overlook the points you mention. It took a while to adjust but I'm now happy that Nikki accompanies the police on interviews. In fact, I'm just happy to see Nikki :D

With Silent Witness being my favourite TV show I too do not criticise any of the scenes that others may find far fetched or not realistic I love the show too much to care ;)

One small moan thou if any would be that I would like a policeman whose usually working with Nickii and Jack to be the same one each week,
    Amanda Burton had the same policeman when she was the main part in the show (she was having a relationship with him in the show so it also tied in) but it would be nice to maybe see that happen with Nickii- that policeman in the episodes "Lost Angels" would have been great to see again so as we could maybe see a relationship build up with the team and more importantly Nickii,
    Does anyone else feel the same about having the same policeman/woman each week and that it would be a good asset to the show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »
    It's really strange how little he is used, considering he gets credited at the beginning, while Liz Carr doesn't.

I enjoyed these episodes.
    Okay, there were continuity errors and plot holes, not to mention unanswered questions about hamsters :).
    But the series is still enjoyable and is knocking Broadchurch into the curb.

Not so sure about next week's episodes though. Nothing there has grabbed my interest, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

I thought the hamster was explained when Nickii and Jack went to the grandads house to ask if Kevin had been home and could they see the room that he had been sleeping In,
    if you remember they found the box that the hamster lived in under his bed,now I took them finding it at the time to prove Kevin had a hamster but afterwards I thought that Kevin threatened his step Dad first, then the Grandad went out with the Step dad in the car afterwards took the hamster out of its box and planted it in the car to look as if Kevin had killed him -plausible?
    or when Kevin threatened him first the hamster was with him and escaped in to the car and hid,Step Dad goes round Grandads to ask him what he's been saying to Kevin then grandad goes with step dad in the car and kills him while hamster still in car! *phew* l-sorry for long post :)
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    With Silent Witness being my favourite TV show I too do not criticise any of the scenes that others may find far fetched or not realistic I love the show too much to care ;)

One small moan thou if any would be that I would like a policeman whose usually working with Nickii and Jack to be the same one each week,
    Amanda Burton had the same policeman when she was the main part in the show (she was having a relationship with him in the show so it also tied in) but it would be nice to maybe see that happen with Nickii- that policeman in the episodes "Lost Angels" would have been great to see again so as we could maybe see a relationship build up with the team and more importantly Nickii,
    Does anyone else feel the same about having the same policeman/woman each week and that it would be a good asset to the show?

I would happily have the young Scottish one back who killed his Dad. Is that the one you're talking about? Don't know the episode names sorry.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess in real life, pathologists don't work with the same detectives on every case which is likely why Silent Witness doesn't have a regular detective each week.

I wonder what they have planned for the 20th anniversary next year? Would like to see Sam Ryan and/or Harry return for a story.
  • Options
    jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella71110 wrote: »

I'm not too bothered about Nikki having a relationship, but I do think a constant copper would be better. It does seem to work better thinking of other shows where they have a constant side kick or person they go to/comes to them for some reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was about the realities of the decisions social workers make. At no point did they make out she was doing it for anything other than best intentions. Her decisions led to consequences she could never have envisaged. As for the baby that decision was made when she was at breaking point and it was Nikki who told her to err on the side of caution. I bet social workers could identify with her far more than you think. They are not superhuman with special powers of being able to see the future even though media in particular expects them to be.

Aurora ,I've said it twice now about your posts being in fact correct imo only because my mums cousin was a social worker (retired now) and she said that it reminded her so much of what they have to go through,-more so now she said as more and more cases are given to just one social worker than when she was working but she empathised with the story of the lady,
    her only gripe was she isn't keen on the actress that played her (she knows her from other things she said)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jende wrote: »
    I'm not too bothered about Nikki having a relationship, but I do think a constant copper would be better. It does seem to work better thinking of other shows where they have a constant side kick or person they go to/comes to them for some reason.

I think so too,
    Oh I don't really mean a full on relationship but what I miss with her and Harry when he was in it (the lovely Tom Ward boy do I miss him!) is the chemistry between them and although nothing ever came of it soppy fans like me always wanted something! :blush::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I guess in real life, pathologists don't work with the same detectives on every case which is likely why Silent Witness doesn't have a regular detective each week.

I wonder what they have planned for the 20th anniversary next year? Would like to see Sam Ryan and/or Harry return for a story.

I really wasn't keen on Sam Ryan,oh I watched Silent Witness from the start but never could feel anything for her as a character,it got better when Tom Ward came in then the trio of him,,William Gaminara and Emilia Fox who to me were the best -but Leo unfortunately can't come back!
    I would love obviously Harry to come back,can anyone remember how Sam Ryan left?