Five Daughters- BBC (based on the ipswich murders)- Coming soon.

molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/11_november/30/five_daughters.shtml

I have no idea when it's airing although a BBC 'coming soon' trailer has launched with 'five daughters' included in so i'm guessing soon?

However this looks really interesting and quite harrowing. It has also had permission from the police involved to go ahead.

Comments

• sally ksally k Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Its in the winter/spring line up so expect it in the next few months.
  • molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh okay thanks. It looks to be quite interesting.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molybecks wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/11_november/30/five_daughters.shtml

I have no idea when it's airing although a BBC 'coming soon' trailer has launched with 'five daughters' included in so i'm guessing soon?

However this looks really interesting and quite harrowing. It has also had permission from the police involved to go ahead.

I wasn't aware the police approved BBC1 scheduling,Jay Hunt will be interested to hear that because she thinks she runs BBC1:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone from Ipswich I will be interested to see how they do this and if they can capture the feeling that was around the town for that month.

I believe the producers have been in contact with the familys of the victims so they can try and get the girls personalitys right.

May all 5 girls R.I.P :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone from Ipswich I will be interested to see how they do this and if they can capture the feeling that was around the town for that month.

I believe the producers have been in contact with the familys of the victims so they can try and get the girls personalitys right.

Oh you come from Ipswich? What was it like at the time? Was everyone effected by the story?

I'm not 100% about the story as i don't know much about it, so i will 'look forward' (if thats possible) to see what happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just found the full casting:

i remember 'cherished' (which also starred sarah lancashire) very hard hitting drama bout Angela Cannings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Nice of the BBC's sentimental liberal Social-Conditioning.

"5 Dead Prossies [On a wall]" would have been much more in line with modern televisions conventions of looking for cynical titles that'll jump out on a page of a tv guide and stir up some controversy. :rolleyes:

Though, I'm sure, the BBC PR department will still ensure plenty of worthy coverage across the tv and features pages.

No doubt, they'll all be presented in their career choice as victims who were forced by circumstance to become prostitutes without reference to their upbringing, intelligence or choices.

Kind regards,

MN
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that TV often over-dramatises stuff but then again that's kinda what this is & not all true-life dramas have been as you described.

I remember the moors murders (2006 ITV) was brilliantly done and very hard hitting to how real it 'seemed'.
  • janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    This should be interesting.

Hopefully it will focus on the early life of each of the girls so viewers star to care about them before writing them off as 'just prostitutes'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't really know much about this case so it will be interesting to read and see more about this in the upcoming weeks/months (still no air date?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely an air date must be revealed soon? I'm looking forward to something descent to watch.. (if you can call this descent..but yeah lol!) :o
  • Germany boundGermany bound Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were actually filming at Bristol City football club car parks and surrounding areas in January in the middle of the night

They were also filming at Ashton park just opposite Bristol City's football ground.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were actually filming at Bristol City football club car parks and surrounding areas in January in the middle of the night

They were also filming at Ashton park just opposite Bristol City's football ground.

Yeah i also read they were filming around that area. I guess if the filming has just finished it won't be on TV until April or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought i'd bump this, still no news on when it is due to air?

BBC Press Office havn't updated on it either. Hmm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I don't like the idea of this one bit, you could easily explore the life of prostitutes without recourse to actual events in Ipswich, aren't the families allowed to get on with their lives ?
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    I agree that TV often over-dramatises stuff but then again that's kinda what this is & not all true-life dramas have been as you described.

I remember the moors murders (2006 ITV) was brilliantly done and very hard hitting to how real it 'seemed'.

I think timing is important too, in terms of when it's appropriate to, to a certain extent dramatise a real life series of murders. I think with both Moors Murders dramas, there was a new generation to inform about them, and also I know one, mainly focused on Myra Hindley's brother in law and the role he played in reporting Brady and Hindley to the Police, and I know at the time of the drama being shown, someone on here remarked how it was really due to the brother in law that Brady and Hindley were caught, yet him and Hindley's sister were ostracised by their community and abused regularly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought i'd give this a bump seeing as it must be coming soon. I read spring 2010, so i'm guessing April.

Anyone heard anymore news?
  • Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should change the title, it makes me think of Mrs Palm's five lovely daughters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh you come from Ipswich? What was it like at the time? Was everyone effected by the story?

I'm not 100% about the story as i don't know much about it, so i will 'look forward' (if thats possible) to see what happens.

It was a pretty scary time, people were scared to go out as you can imagine. Every time I went out you could see the change in people, it was like everybody is a suspect and you could see the look in peoples eyes wondering if it could be them.

I can't believe it is going to be 4 years ago this year :( I can still see the tents and lines of police over the two last bodies found :(.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I come from quite nearby to you, so I am also interested in how this subject is going to come across in a drama.

I had heard too that members of Paula Clennell's family had been talking to the writers of this drama.

I hope that they fill out the girls personalities a bit, rather than just focus on what they did for a living and how they were when they were using drugs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a pretty scary time, people were scared to go out as you can imagine. Every time I went out you could see the change in people, it was like everybody is a suspect and you could see the look in peoples eyes wondering if it could be them.

I can't believe it is going to be 4 years ago this year :( I can still see the tents and lines of police over the two last bodies found :(.

Ooops! didn't see this post when i made my last one. :o

It was a horrible time just being in a nearby area, so it must have been dreadful to have been living in Ipswich at the time and a little bit surreal, what with all the media camped out in Ipswich?

I visited Ipswich during that time period and was scared, I also felt pretty scared in my current location, given at one point the police thought he might shift his target location down the A14.

I've read a lot about the case and subsequent trial, but I still feel as if I don't know much at all, if you see what I mean?

What has happened to the red light district in Ipswich now, have you heard? Last I read on it was that the police were now showing zero tolerance to girls working out there and that there was a bit of bad feeling about this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite interesting hearing you guys views on what happened seeing as you are pretty close to the area when it happened.

I think that the girls portrayl is loyal and credit to them and not just what they did. It's more their POV instead of the murderer.

Like i said, not sure when it's going to air, but i'm guessing soon?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bet the actors make a complete c***-up of the local accent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite interesting hearing you guys views on what happened seeing as you are pretty close to the area when it happened.

I think that the girls portrayl is loyal and credit to them and not just what they did. It's more their POV instead of the murderer.

Like i said, not sure when it's going to air, but i'm guessing soon?

Well, I'm in the next town along, but it was still very scary, specially, as I said before, when they thought that because of the police/media attention in Ipswich, he might start targeting nearby towns. I don't think there were many women in Suffolk who felt safe at that time.

It was a surreal time really. One because of the frequency of the girls dissappearing and turning up murdered and two, because of the amoubt of press attention.

I would like to hear more about the girls, to get a sense of what they were like and who they were.

I had heard that Paula Clennell's family were co-operating, I wonder if the other families are ok with it?
    Verence wrote: »
    I bet the actors make a complete c***-up of the local accent.

Depends what accent you mean!

I live in the area, grew up here, moved away, came back and have no Suffolk accent. A lot of people I know have done the same, so none of us have particularly strong accents.

Some of the girls, I'm thinking both Paula Clennell and Anneli Alderton, had lived up north and abroad so I doubt they had strong accents either. I remember hearing Paula Clennell be annonymously interviewed on Anglia news and she didn't have a particular accent.

Gemma Adams had a solid middle class upbringing, so I doubt she had much of an accent. I haven't read much about either Tanya Nichol or Annette Nicholls, but Tanya's father (Jim Duell) made a statement at the time and he didn't seem to have a strong Suffolk accent.

I don't really come across the stereotypical 'carrot cruncher' accent much anymore, do you?

I might hear it occasionally in the older generation in little villages, or on market days, but that's about it. This area is home to a lot of commuters too, so I can't say I hear the old Suffolk Swede accent at all now! ;)
  • merrybiscuitmerrybiscuit Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be interested in seeing this and agree with the other posters, it will be interesting to see if they can replicate the feeling in Ipswich and surrounding areas.

I worked in Ipswich in the council building, which is in the heart of the red light area at the time. It was so close to christmas, but the merry joy of christmas wasnt there. Everything seemed still and calm.

I lived in the next town down, and on my way home (3 of the bodies were found along that part of the a14) you would see the police or sky news helicopter going and just thought, what have they found now? I hope they haven't found anyone or anything.

I also remember the locals, the office where everyone was checking the news hourly and some people had been to school or knew the ladies before their previous life as a prostitute. In a strange way, there seemed to be a real sense of community but a lack of trust within it.

I really hope this never happens again, RIP.