Spiral (Engrenages) Series Four

Comments

• Forget-me-notForget-me-not Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Bloody hell, last night was a bit bleak wasn't it? Is there anyone we like that isn't in massive trouble now? Aaargh!

I have just started watching this series never having seen anythign previously. Quite enjoying it although sometimes it verges on heavy going, could just do with a little chink of light in the darkness of people smuggling/fanatics/all round scum bags.

I do like that nice Pierre though, he seems as though he has been a man of honour (guessing not having seen previous) but I don't like that Josephine woman :( - am I supposed to? She seems so unlikeable, so currently not happy that he has developed feelings for her when it seems she could destroy him. I take it she has been in all series and yet just going on this she feels like she should be getting her comeuppance - even if she did have a rotten childhood :rolleyes:

It is so dark and the badness seems so all enveloping that it really makes me root for Laure and her band and old Judge Roban. Great stuff.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've all done something corrupt at one time or other, especially Laure and her team! But mostly to protect each other, or other of their friends, whereas Josephine's actions have mostly been to protect or benefit herself, and I suppose Juge Roban would see his as being for the cause of justice.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Josephine. Yes, she's done some awful stuff, and nearly all of it for herself (although she has done nasty things in order to protect Pierre more than just this time, I'm fairly sure?) but I think there's still enough about her to make us empathise with her a bit. Plus, Pierre loves her, and he's a good guy, so he must see something in her. I don't think she wanted to be corrupt and twisted...

Yes, Forget me Not, Pierre has always been a good guy - honest and above board. He has loved Josephine for a long time though - I think he's been hoping he'd be a good influence on her - but I think last night was the first time he's admitted it, especially to anyone else.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted - double post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly - it's part of what the show is trying to say. "Marianne" describes an embodiment of what France stands for, a sort of equivalent to Britannia. All this is playing out in front of Marianne an allegory for how the descent of the French justice system and the endemic corruption is happening in front of the powerless "Marianne" embodying French society

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marianne

Very interesting - hadn't realised this.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up. I think this series is fantastic!!! :)

Anybody know how many episodes are left?
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we're at the half way point, so 6 more to go.

K
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Kenny.:)
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Presumably the implication was that the Sarahoui's had Nabil bumped off with Gilou's gun??
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up. I think this series is fantastic!!! :)

Anybody know how many episodes are left?

So far its the best out of the four. Three and one were about equal. Two was OK but not as good as the others.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Presumably the implication was that the Sarahoui's had Nabil bumped off with Gilou's gun??

Yep a Beretta 92FF with the number scratched off. Good riddance too, the double dealing little so and so trying to nab €30k for himself. How did he think he would get away with that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    overnights:

e5: 452k (2.05%)
    e6: 357k (1.8%)

Table so far:

Overnights:

ep 1/12: 594k (2.65%)
    ep 2/12: 433k (2.2%)
    ep 3/12: 454k (2.0%)
    ep 4/12: 408k (2.1%)
    ep 5/12: 452k (2.05%)
    ep 6/12: 357k (1.8%)

Officials:
    ep 1/12: 823k
    ep 2/12: 653k

(with thanks to NeilVW in the ratings thread)

K

On a downward spiral it seems.
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    VV was speaking in terms of ratings, I think.

Spiral probably suffered from being one of the first BBC4 euro-subbed dramas, which didn't really take off until TK1, by which time Spiral S2 had already been shown, so the new euro-viewers felt they didn't know the characters well enough to invest their time - possibly!

K

Yes, I was refering to ratings. I feel that people are put off as they may find Sprial a little OTT and the fact that it is FRench may put people off. There had been very little exposure to Swedish or Danish prior to Wallander and the Killing and I feel that as they were something different from somwhere different that helped increase people's curiosity.
    Forum Member
    allie4 wrote: »
    Amazon??? I think we got all 3-in-1....
    My personal favourite for story lines is 1 I think. Am getting a bit fed up with illegal immigrants, drugs, nitty gritty. What I love about Spiral is the brilliantly drawn characters and their private stories.
    Borgen is currently my favourite (much to my surprise!)

Borgen is my favourite too, followed by The Killing, the RL Wallander, The Bridge KH Wallander, Bergman and Spiral. Insp Montalbano is my least favourite.
    I love the characters in Borgen, they seem very very real and their emotions and storylines seem very believable too.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a downward spiral it seems.

I see what you did there!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Yep a Beretta 92FF with the number scratched off. Good riddance too, the double dealing little so and so trying to nab €30k for himself. How did he think he would get away with that?

As soon as he tried that on he might as well have painted a massive target on his back
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Officials:

ep 3/12: 649k
    ep 4/12: 599k

Table so far:

Overnights:

ep 1/12: 594k (2.65%)
    ep 2/12: 433k (2.2%)
    ep 3/12: 454k (2.0%)
    ep 4/12: 408k (2.1%)
    ep 5/12: 452k (2.05%)
    ep 6/12: 357k (1.8%)

Officials:
    ep 1/12: 823k
    ep 2/12: 653k
    ep 3/12: 649k
    ep 4/12: 599k

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Borgen is my favourite too, followed by The Killing, the RL Wallander, The Bridge KH Wallander, Bergman and Spiral. Insp Montalbano is my least favourite.
    I love the characters in Borgen, they seem very very real and their emotions and storylines seem very believable too.

I have to admit that I am struggling with Spiral. The characters just seem to be so unpleasant, and it is so dark it is difficult to like any of them. The guy , Robart , who looks like Arsene Wenger is a rare exception. Can't that Laure have a wash at the very least, has she even combed her hair for a month ?

For the Saturday nights rankings I would go for, Borgen in first place , Inspector Monty second and then the other Danish / Swedish ones , but with Spiral coming last
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    This is still depressing the hell out of me, but am still glued to it. What is lovely Pierre doing staying with Jorkal? I know the other guy basically said you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, but it seemed like he could have left it there. Maybe Josephine's influence is rubbing off. Interesting to see her double dealings with Special Branch too, in part to protect Pierre.

I wasn't sure if Tintin was going to make it out alive; he seems to have made a quick recovery, physically at least. Wouldn't be surprised if he called it a day soon though, especially with more sproglets on the horizon. Getting more and more worried for Gilou- why does he get himself into these situations?! Wasn't sure if the Sarahouis would believe him over the 30k but even now he doesn't seem any closer to extricating himself from the mess.

Oh and more greatness from Monsieur le Juuuuuuuuge, love it :D

ETA: Forgot to say, my favourite bit was where Laure slagged off Josephine to Pierre only to have him say he was in love with her. Laure's hasty "oh, I take that back, forgive me" and Pierre's unconvinced look was hilarious!
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    The guy , Robart , who looks like Arsene Wenger is a rare exception. Can't that Laure have a wash at the very least, has she even combed her hair for a month ?

That's funny - Juge Roban is just about my least favourite character because he's such a hypocrite - he comes on all holier-than-thou, but he breaks the rules himself too, for instance when he faked that break-in to his office.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    I have to admit that I am struggling with Spiral. The characters just seem to be so unpleasant, and it is so dark it is difficult to like any of them. The guy , Robart , who looks like Arsene Wenger is a rare exception. Can't that Laure have a wash at the very least, has she even combed her hair for a month ?

It took me a while to 'get' the characters but I love Spiral now. Tintin's one of the less dodgy characters too! Yes it's grittier than the Nordic stuff but I think it's a clever critique of the French justice system. I really like the way the various story strands link in with each other: the 'cogs' or 'gears' - 'Engrenages'.
  • Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .. but I don't like that Josephine woman :( - am I supposed to? She seems so unlikeable,

I've seen all previous three series over the last six years or so and I can confirm she is quite restrained by her standards this series.

Can't remember too many specifics over all this time but she usually gets up to some real borderline evil nonsense in series 1-3... but I still like her a lot. Good job she's only fictional :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen all previous three series over the last six years or so and I can confirm she is quite restrained by her standards this series.

Can't remember too many specifics over all this time but she usually gets up to some real borderline evil nonsense in series 1-3... but I still like her a lot. Good job she's only fictional :D

Indeed she is being relatively well-behaved! I remember when she held back some evidence that could've got a guy (I think he had been a defence lawyer in the past) off a conviction for rape.

I think she's a great character though - never a dull moment.

Oh and also les flics are also well-behaved dans cette series. They used to rough up suspects rather a lot. I think Caroline Proust said in an interview that there isn't any of that now due to them having to be more realistic and respect human rights (I'm paraphrasing) - although quite why they wouldn't have to have done that a couple of years ago, je ne sais pas.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hooked on this show. I was so glad Tintin survived - he's a moral character on the show, a voice of reason and I think the show needs that, seeing as all the other characters are on a slippery slope... even though he's physically recovered though, I think he's going to struggle mentally overcoming this.

I'm really pleased with Josephine's character development over the past episode or two - she's without a doubt, one of my favourite characters and I think her and Pierre have a great chemistry. Pierre seems to be getting himself in deep water though! I think him and Josephine need each other.

I loved the ending to the latest episode! Has Gilou gone too far this time? Surely there will come a time where he ends up being sacked or imprisoned, or even murdered?
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    My personal favourite for story lines is 1 I think. Am getting a bit fed up with illegal immigrants, drugs, nitty gritty.

Me too, am fed up with all the swarthe and dinge, especially after forking out £600 on a beautiful full-HD plasma. However, I prefer 4 to 2 and 3.

In the list of Euro-dramas I would place Montalbano higher - hope Straker doesn't follow this thread :o I watch that when I want a warm and cuddly, insightful companion, only got episode 12 left :cry:

BTW, I have just caught up with the last 4 Spiral episodes so the thread's too long to catch up on, please forgive if this has been covered already:

In two episodes the team have been tailing a baddy's car and the message has been phoned thru by the tailer "They're turning gauche" - but each time the car was shown turning droite. Did they reverse the 'film' or what?

(I rashly deleted the episodes cos PVR is overflowing, so cannot re-watch to check for clues like number-plates to see if they're 'backwards'.)