2013 Classic Series DVD releases.

Comments

• bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it will be interesting to see if the special editions ontinue to come out next year once all the unreleased stuff is out.my guess is the original series releases will finish this year.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it will be interesting to see if the special editions ontinue to come out next year once all the unreleased stuff is out.my guess is the original series releases will finish this year.

Dan hall said about a year ago the range will "probably not" end after 2013. So in all likelyhood it might Not necessary be finished this year. Plus With animation there is the possibility of it continuing. At the moment they say the limit is 2 but once they have the sales figures (normally taken about a week/month after release) they will have a better idea how well animated stories does in the current financial climate and If sales are healthy enough that higher budgets can be warrented for animations they could possibly change their stance on the 2 ep limit. Most of the budget and time for reign went on developing the software (including months of work wasted on a process that didnt work out) so future animations will be cheaper and faster as the software has already been paid for and developed with the production of reign. There was an interview in the dwm with one of the animators who said as assets (faces etc) can get reused making longer stories more cost effective. Might not make it cheaper though as there will be aditional costs as well
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    Dan hall said about a year ago the range will "probably not" end after 2013. So in all likelyhood it might Not necessary be finished this year. Plus With animation there is the possibility of it continuing. At the moment they say the limit is 2 but once they have the sales figures (normally taken about a week/month after release) they will have a better idea how well animated stories does in the current financial climate and If sales are healthy enough that higher budgets can be warrented for animations they could possibly change their stance on the 2 ep limit. Most of the budget and time for reign went on developing the software (including months of work wasted on a process that didnt work out) so future animations will be cheaper and faster as the software has already been paid for and developed with the production of reign. There was an interview in the dwm with one of the animators who said as assets (faces etc) can get reused making longer stories more cost effective. Might not make it cheaper though as there will be aditional costs as well

This is my understanding as well. Things will continue into 2014 with the Special Editions and the Animations. We have several serials which still fit within the two episode limit (The Crusade, Mission to the Unknown, The Tenth Planet, The Underwater Menace, The Moonbase and The Ice Warriors) as well as the potential for them to expand that limit to serials with even more missing episodes. I figure that the Special Editions will help to fill in the gaps in release dates while they are still releasing the animations. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    Well, it is now January 28th and The Reign of Terror has been released in the U.K.. That makes the updated list:

The Reign of Terror: UK: Available Now, US: February 12th
    The Ark in Space (SE): UK: February 18th, : US: March 12th
    The Aztecs (SE) (plus Galaxy 4 ep 3): UK: March 11th, US: March 12th
    Dalek Movies (Blu-Ray): UK: May 27th, US: NA
    Terror of the Zygons: UK: June 24th, US: NA
    Inferno (SE): UK: June, US: NA
    Spearhead From Space (Blu-Ray): UK: July 15th, US: NA
    The Mind of Evil: UK: July, US: NA
    The Green Death (SE): UK: August, US: NA

and

The Tenth Planet
    The Ice Warriors
    The Underwater Menace: Episode 2
    The Visitation (SE)

With possible future Special Editions:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth
    The Web Planet
    The Mind Robber
    Genesis of the Daleks
    Pyramids of Mars
    The Hand of Fear
    Horror of Fang Rock
    City of Death
    The Leisure Hive
    Earthshock
    The Mark of the Rani
    The Two Doctors
    Revelation of the Daleks
    Ghost Light
    The Curse of Fenric

I count 4 vacant release slots between Aztecs (SE) & Terror Of The Zygons (not counting Dalek Movies Bluray - is this in an official release slot?) & 5 between Spearhead From Space (Bluray), are the months you've listed for Inferno (SE), Mind Of Evil & Green Death (SE) just speculative??
    Forum Member
    5 release slots between SFS (Bluray) & Anniversary, I meant to put!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doomentia wrote: »
    I count 4 vacant release slots between Aztecs (SE) & Terror Of The Zygons (not counting Dalek Movies Bluray - is this in an official release slot?) & 5 between Spearhead From Space (Bluray), are the months you've listed for Inferno (SE), Mind Of Evil & Green Death (SE) just speculative??

The dates are unconfirmed. They are lifted from directly from The Tardis Library:

http://www.timelash.com/tardis/items.asp?type=video&startdate=2013&enddate=2013&bookformat=all&lang=all&audioformat=all&videoformat=all&country=uk&sort=date&x=13&y=8

Many of the dates that I pull are from there. While I only have a couple of years of experience paying close attention to these Doctor Who DVD release dates, they seem to usually be somewhere in the ballpark, so I have no problem using those dates as placeholders if nothing else. Notice that if the date includes an actual day, then it is confirmed. If it is just a month, then it is a vague, unconfirmed date.

I can scour the web, looking at web sites (and others do the same), but I can't have the dates before they are released. :) We usually find and update this list within days of the actual release date being listed just about anywhere, I think. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way, I picked up The Complete Specials (2008-2010) (I know, it is not the classic series, but it is my first foray into owning the new revival and since I want to collect all of Doctor Who, I figured that the first Blu-Rays would be a great place to start on the current stuff) and Destiny of the Daleks (Season 17, Story 104, 1979).

I finished up watching Torchwood Season 4: Miracle Day tonight and I will be watching The Power of Three (Story 232), The Angels Take Manhattan (Story 233) and The Snowmen (Story 234) (all from the current season, Season 33) tomorrow night with a friend. Thus, I won't be able to watch Destiny of the Daleks until next week, but I can't wait until I can do as such. (Maybe I will be able to sneak it in on Thursday- we'll see.)
    Forum Member
    The dates are unconfirmed. They are lifted from directly from The Tardis Library:

http://www.timelash.com/tardis/items.asp?type=video&startdate=2013&enddate=2013&bookformat=all&lang=all&audioformat=all&videoformat=all&country=uk&sort=date&x=13&y=8

Many of the dates that I pull are from there. While I only have a couple of years of experience paying close attention to these Doctor Who DVD release dates, they seem to usually be somewhere in the ballpark, so I have no problem using those dates as placeholders if nothing else. Notice that if the date includes an actual day, then it is confirmed. If it is just a month, then it is a vague, unconfirmed date.

I can scour the web, looking at web sites (and others do the same), but I can't have the dates before they are released. :) We usually find and update this list within days of the actual release date being listed just about anywhere, I think. :)

Thank you, was just curious (if it was official or not)
    :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Review/Test discs for the aztecs special edition have started appearing. The trailer for ice warriors is on it However there is no indication on the trailer whether or not its getting animated. Bear in mind the trailer for reign of terror didnt feature animation.

Edit: Dont expect it too soon though steve roberts just posted the following: I think you'll find Ice Warriors has moved further back in the schedule. These things happen. It's one of the reasons we no longer put "Coming Soon" on the trailers, now it's simply "Doctor Who on DVD".
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read on Twitter that there is a rumour that the Macra Terror in full has be disovered in someones personel collection but they will not hand it over due to a fallen out that they have had with the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jedi matt wrote: »
    I have read on Twitter that there is a rumour that the Macra Terror in full has be disovered in someones personel collection but they will not hand it over due to a fallen out that they have had with the BBC.

Its garbage.

A blog site called rouge cyberman started a campaign to find missing episodes via offering 25k per episode as he doesnt feel that the bbc are taking it seriously by offering a dalek. Originally his plans include not giving the bbc the episodes because he doesnt trust them because of recent events (the lord Mcalphine payout) and releasing it himself as he feels the fans should get it first not the bbc. Richard Bignell didnt take it seriously and ian Levine had an argument on twitter with rogue cyberman offering 25k will ruin chances of finding genuine episodes. Even though he did not explain as such he was meaning : what is stopping people asking for more and more money for real missing episodes when they do appear. 2 days later he claimed he had found abomnible snowman 3 in spain and also found a collector in the kent area who apparently has enough troughton to sink a battleship who inherited from his father who was unfairly sacked by the bbc in 1979. He then went to reveal that the collector has macra terror on vhs (later then claimed to be the original film reels as well)and other episodes in his possesion.Apparently this collector is known to the bbc and Richard and ian who apparently pushed the collector too far and is not willing to give it to the bbc for love nor money and doesnt want richard or ian (bignall and the fat man) anywhere near him. Thing is richard has never had any dealings with any film collectors in the kent area or any area and ian hasnt got a clue who he is. Natually people are asking for a bit of proof and rc has refused to give any as they will get used by hoaxers. Any suggestions about putting up watermarked photos or putting up footage of him with episode playing in the background is either dodged or ignored. Also ignored is suggestions of going to paul Vanezis or dan hall. The anonymos collector had a change of heart over the episodes and said he would happily give it to the bbc but he wants a public appology first (yeah thats right an anonymos person wants a public apology). As so many people doubted rc claim about the find he anounced a screening to see for yourself that the episodes exist. First it was 2 fans that will be chosen, then he invited richard and ian along but with a catch. Richard and ian can go and see for themselves that the episodes exist but they have to first post a video on youtube apologising and say how this is a real find and also write a letter of apology to the collector. Obviously as rc refused to provide any proof that this find is genuine neither complied to his demands. He has also offered karen hill (@motherwho) who he has had history with(he tried to make out that she was a bad mother because she tried to shut his site down) a similar offer but she also refused. He also has been given a small ban from gb as he got caught posting on twitter: Just posted this thread at Gallifrey Base. I wonder how long it will be before the old guard deletes it. He then got caught making fake accounts and got permanatly banned. He then threatened gb with a lawsuit with help from wired tree as copying and pasting without permission is breaking copyright laws. The reason why he has done all this is to get more attention and traffic to his rouge cyberman and time girl kate websites. His time girl katie website has links to a sexkey site and you hand over your card details to get some naked photos. If you are wanting more info on rogue cyberman this is worth a read http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/03/12/beware-naked-doctor-who-fangirls/ Since then he has claimed he has animated the ice warriors. However to get access to them you have to join time girl katie private area. Somebody did and there is no animation
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Its garbage.

A blog site called rouge cyberman started a campaign to find missing episodes via offering 25k per episode as he doesnt feel that the bbc are taking it seriously by offering a dalek. Originally his plans include not giving the bbc the episodes because he doesnt trust them because of recent events (the lord Mcalphine payout) and releasing it himself as he feels the fans should get it first not the bbc. Richard Bignell didnt take it seriously and ian Levine had an argument on twitter with rogue cyberman offering 25k will ruin chances of finding genuine episodes. Even though he did not explain as such he was meaning : what is stopping people asking for more and more money for real missing episodes when they do appear. 2 days later he claimed he had found abomnible snowman 3 in spain and also found a collector in the kent area who apparently has enough troughton to sink a battleship who inherited from his father who was unfairly sacked by the bbc in 1979. He then went to reveal that the collector has macra terror on vhs (later then claimed to be the original film reels as well)and other episodes in his possesion.Apparently this collector is known to the bbc and Richard and ian who apparently pushed the collector too far and is not willing to give it to the bbc for love nor money and doesnt want richard or ian (bignall and the fat man) anywhere near him. Thing is richard has never had any dealings with any film collectors in the kent area or any area and ian hasnt got a clue who he is. Natually people are asking for a bit of proof and rc has refused to give any as they will get used by hoaxers. Any suggestions about putting up watermarked photos or putting up footage of him with episode playing in the background is either dodged or ignored. Also ignored is suggestions of going to paul Vanezis or dan hall. The anonymos collector had a change of heart over the episodes and said he would happily give it to the bbc but he wants a public appology first (yeah thats right an anonymos person wants a public apology). As so many people doubted rc claim about the find he anounced a screening to see for yourself that the episodes exist. First it was 2 fans that will be chosen, then he invited richard and ian along but with a catch. Richard and ian can go and see for themselves that the episodes exist but they have to first post a video on youtube apologising and say how this is a real find and also write a letter of apology to the collector. Obviously as rc refused to provide any proof that this find is genuine neither complied to his demands. He has also offered karen hill (@motherwho) who he has had history with(he tried to make out that she was a bad mother because she tried to shut his site down) a similar offer but she also refused. He also has been given a small ban from gb as he got caught posting on twitter: Just posted this thread at Gallifrey Base. I wonder how long it will be before the old guard deletes it. He then got caught making fake accounts and got permanatly banned. He then threatened gb with a lawsuit with help from wired tree as copying and pasting without permission is breaking copyright laws. The reason why he has done all this is to get more attention and traffic to his rouge cyberman and time girl kate websites. His time girl katie website has links to a sexkey site and you hand over your card details to get some naked photos. If you are wanting more info on rogue cyberman this is worth a read http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/03/12/beware-naked-doctor-who-fangirls/ Since then he has claimed he has animated the ice warriors. However to get access to them you have to join time girl katie private area. Somebody did and there is no animation

Blimey. Still, the optimist inside me think it's possible that he's not lying about everything, and he may just have been a very proud individual. But yes, probably a hoax.

Sadly, the kind of scenario he suggests (old BBC employees who secretly hoarded directly from the archive) is pretty much the only real hope of finding anything close to a whole story these days. Sad state of affairs when this kind of thing is the best hope of finding something. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holy stinking moley, that is quite a story.

On the brighter side, however:
    Review/Test discs for the aztecs special edition have started appearing. The trailer for ice warriors is on it.

Hooray! I can't wait until we can actually purchase this one complete with animated episodes. :)

Like I stated in a previous post on this thread, I think that the continuing animation will take quite some time (years) as of yet.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member

Hooray! I can't wait until we can actually purchase this one complete with animated episodes. :)

Like I stated in a previous post on this thread, I think that the continuing animation will take quite some time (years) as of yet.

If their current limit is 2 per story, it might be worth waiting until they have a blank slate and then they can spend what would have been 2/3 slots on animating 4/6 episodes.

Having said that, I think it's a very long shot that we'll get animations of say, The Daleks Master Plan or Marco Polo as they'd have to basically work out everything from scratch, what with DMP changing setting and characters every few episodes and MP having no surviving footage.

Episodes like Galaxy 4 and The Underwater Menace that have some level of framework to work from are much more likely to get animations, I think.

But if they can get all remaining complete episodes out this year (not unlikely) then hopefully they can keep the department going by focussing on animation. I have no doubt the sales for these DVDs would be just as good if not better than normal releases.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Its garbage.

I was foolish enough to read some of his blog yesterday. Never heard so much bile, hatred and anger in all my life. I would rather that the episodes remain missing forever than end up in the hands of this disturbed individual.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member

I though the latest information about Ice Warriors was that the DVD would contain the VHS reconstruction rather than animated episodes :(
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I though the latest information about Ice Warriors was that the DVD would contain the VHS reconstruction rather than animated episodes :(

No, it hasn't been said that the VHS reconstruction would be instead of animation, it could well be as well as. Especially since the release has been delayed which suggests that they are working on something.
    Forum Member
    Last I heard, the Ice Warriors was definately getting animated eps, IIRC they announced that intention at the same time they announced the Reign of Terror animation in 2011.
    Forum Member
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    If their current limit is 2 per story, it might be worth waiting until they have a blank slate and then they can spend what would have been 2/3 slots on animating 4/6 episodes.

Having said that, I think it's a very long shot that we'll get animations of say, The Daleks Master Plan or Marco Polo as they'd have to basically work out everything from scratch, what with DMP changing setting and characters every few episodes and MP having no surviving footage.

Episodes like Galaxy 4 and The Underwater Menace that have some level of framework to work from are much more likely to get animations, I think.

But if they can get all remaining complete episodes out this year (not unlikely) then hopefully they can keep the department going by focussing on animation. I have no doubt the sales for these DVDs would be just as good if not better than normal releases.

A 62 minute recon of Galaxy Four is on the Aztecs DVD, with episode 3 included, plus some animated sequences
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last I heard, the Ice Warriors was definately getting animated eps, IIRC they announced that intention at the same time they announced the Reign of Terror animation in 2011.

No, you do not RC - there has been no announcement of IW getting animated episodes.
    Forum Member
    from thedoctorwhosite.co.uk:
    There is an anouncment of some sort regarding missing episodes at a convention in australia in the next 3 weeks. Considering the exec producer of the animation is part of the panel i expect news on it.

and The Gatherer - fair enough, don't get your knickers in a twist -- that's what the II of IIRC is for :p

http://whovention.dwca.org.au/?q=blog/more-guests-missing-episodes-and-exclusives
    Plus what about all the other incomplete stories, still unavailable, unrestored and unannounced? You want another world exclusive to enviously tell other fans about after the event?

This is the panel you have to see! Until then… spoilers!
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I was foolish enough to read some of his blog yesterday. Never heard so much bile, hatred and anger in all my life. I would rather that the episodes remain missing forever than end up in the hands of this disturbed individual.

You're not wrong there. I looked at his blog when this story about the Macra Terror broke a few weeks ago. What a deeply unpleasant and selfishly arrogant attitude that blog had. I looked again today, after reading the comments here, and it's not improved. If anything the bilious and overwhelmingly nasty writing has got worse. I rarely get riled by anything on the internet - frankly life is way too short to waste on anonymous burbling that I just don't happen to agree with - but this guy seriously pisses me off. I won't make the mistake of reading it again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    from thedoctorwhosite.co.uk:

and The Gatherer - fair enough, don't get your knickers in a twist -- that's what the II of IIRC is for :p

http://whovention.dwca.org.au/?q=blog/more-guests-missing-episodes-and-exclusives

In what way is me correcting your incorrect posting getting my knickers in a twist?
    Forum Member
    Nothing really, no animosity intended, but I tend to read standard english posts such as this

'No, you do not RC - there has been no announcement of IW getting animated episodes. '

with attitude; not saying that was your intention, but this is why I use smilies most of the time, to make sure my tone is clear :)