The Alan Moore Episode of Doctor Who? That will never happen

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
Forum Member
I was at talk giving by Alan Moore of the watchmen and one of the question would he ever consider, writing a episode of Dr Who. He would not write on but if was He would have will William Hartnell trying to kill an all power for Prepubescent Boy and David Tennant doctor try and stop he him. The Boy would turn out to be the Last Regeneration of the Doctor. As Alan Stated Doctor Keeps getting Younger.!!!!

Comments

• Miss_QwertyMiss_Qwerty Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    IANS325 wrote: »
    I was at talk giving by Alan Moore of the watchmen and one of the question would he ever consider, writing a episode of Dr Who. He would not write on but if was He would have will William Hartnell trying to kill an all power for Prepubescent Boy and David Tennant doctor try and stop he him. The Boy would turn out to be the Last Regeneration of the Doctor. As Alan Stated Doctor Keeps getting Younger.!!!!

Eh? :confused:
  • brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is there an English translation of this post available?
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brouhaha wrote: »
    Is there an English translation of this post available?

I was at talk given by Alan Moore of Watchmen fame. One of the questions asked was would he ever consider writing an episode of Doctor Who. He said he would not write on the series, but if he were to, he would have the William Hartnell Doctor trying to kill an all-powerful prepubescent boy. The David Tennant Doctor would try and stop him.

The boy would turn out to be the last regeneration of the Doctor. As Alan stated, the Doctor keeps getting younger!

I think that's what the OP was trying to say, but I'm not certain.:confused:
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This obviously says:

"I was at a talk given by Alan Moore - the man who wrote the Watchman - and one of the questions he was asked is whether he would consider writing an episode of Doctor Who. He said he wouldn't but if he did, it would involve a story where the first Doctor - William Hartnell - is trying to kill a powerful pubescent boy and the 10th Doctor - David Tennant - is trying and stop him. The boy would turn out to be the last regeneration of the Doctor because as Alan stated, he keeps getting younger..."

Interesting post and a possible good story. People need to spend less time trying to be cynical and smug and more time trying to understand...
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo_bob wrote: »
    This obviously says:

"I was at a talk given by Alan Moore - the man who wrote the Watchman - and one of the questions he was asked is whether he would consider writing an episode of Doctor Who. He said he wouldn't but if he did, it would involve a story where the first Doctor - William Hartnell - is trying to kill a powerful pubescent boy and the 10th Doctor - David Tennant - is trying and stop him. The boy would turn out to be the last regeneration of the Doctor because as Alan stated, he keeps getting younger..."

Interesting post and a possible good story. People need to spend less time trying to be cynical and smug and more time trying to understand...

Perhaps more time checking posts (and I am guilty of typos and spelling) to make sure they make sense just might help.

My first reaction was - eh!! as well and I'm not being smug or cynical. Just following forum posting guidelines will help

"To avoid misunderstandings, please don't use 'txt spk' and try to ensure your post is relatively typo-free"
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Going off at a tangent fellow comic writer Pat Mills has written two stories for Big Finish's ongoing series of CDs featuring the 8th Doctor and later this year a story he had written for the original series but which never got made is being released as part of Big Finish's Doctor Who : The Lost Stories range
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps more time checking posts (and I am guilty of typos and spelling) to make sure they make sense just might help.

My first reaction was - eh!! as well and I'm not being smug or cynical. Just following forum posting guidelines will help

"To avoid misunderstandings, please don't use 'txt spk' and try to ensure your post is relatively typo-free"

I have a Deaf sister and a number of Deaf friends and when they post entries on Facebook, etc, they type how they would sign the sentence - which is considerably differently. When reading, It can take a bit of working out what they are trying to say - even though I can sign a bit myself.

So, if a Deaf person put a post on here that appeared as unintelligible as that first post did, would you be understanding? or would you berate them and quote the terms and conditions to them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Deaf sister and a number of Deaf friends and when they post entries on Facebook, etc, they type how they would sign the sentence - which is considerably differently. When reading, It can take a bit of working out what they are trying to say - even though I can sign a bit myself.

So, if a Deaf person put a post on here that appeared as unintelligible as that first post did, would you be understanding? or would you berate them and quote the terms and conditions to them?

How would we know they were deaf??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    How would we know they were deaf??

Obviously you wouldn't. But some may read their postings and think "WTF?!" without thinking as to why they have written it that way. All I am saying is that some people read a post that appears unintelligible to them and automatically jump in and make sarcastic comments about it - there's no need for it...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Obviously you wouldn't. But some may read their postings and think "WTF?!" without thinking as to why they have written it that way. All I am saying is that some people read a post that appears unintelligible to them and automatically jump in and make sarcastic comments about it - there's no need for it...

That's fair enough

It might also occur that the writer of a seemingly unintelligble post might not have English as their first language
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's easier to assume that the OP is just a bit thick.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was able to make perfect sense of the original post.

Apart from the obvious technical issues involved in that sort of episode, I think it'd likely be vetoed on the basis of one Doctor actively trying to kill something else. Generally speaking the Doctor doesn't set out to kill things; he often kills things if they refuse to align with his scientific and objective morality, but only after giving them a chance to reform. And even then the way episodes are plotted requires the killing to be a momentary, last-moment defensive surprise rather than something with malice aforethought.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Leaving aside the obvious point that you'd have no way of knowing if the person was deaf, the fact is that a post which is totally unintelligible is utterly pointless as many people's first response will be to simply not bother to read beyond the first couple of lines. I understand the point you're making and yes, allowances sometimes need to be made, but I do think there is an obligation on the part of posters to think about what they are writing and try to make it understandable to others. My wife is dyslexic. She frequently gets spelling and grammar wrong. So she always double checks everything she writes before sending it. That seems to me a sensible precaution. I am not dyslexic, but I still generally read through what I've typed before posting it.
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leaving aside the obvious point that you'd have no way of knowing if the person was deaf, the fact is that a post which is totally unintelligible is utterly pointless as many people's first response will be to simply not bother to read beyond the first couple of lines. I understand the point you're making and yes, allowances sometimes need to be made, but I do think there is an obligation on the part of posters to think about what they are writing and try to make it understandable to others. My wife is dyslexic. She frequently gets spelling and grammar wrong. So she always double checks everything she writes before sending it. That seems to me a sensible precaution. I am not dyslexic, but I still generally read through what I've typed before posting it.

That's exactly the point. The terms and conditions are there for a reason. I initially read the post and thought Eh! and then moved away. It was only when I saw there had been replies that I came back.

I'm sorry but I don't think the deaf analogy applies. If a person has a disability that means they are posting unintelligible posts then they should get it checked, or please just give a little explanation which would make people more sympathetic and try and help them.
  • brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's easier to assume that the OP is just a bit thick.

:D

Or, considering the time of the morning it was posted, a bit drunk? ;)

FFS, lighten up, people!