Matt's Music

13»

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stricter wrote: »
    I too feel that in general Matt gets given awful music to perform to and makes a good job of things despite everything (ie music and choreography).

Just wanted to ask, are couples allowed to dance to music without any vocals? I wish they were as this would give a greather choice of pieces and reflect a more authentic ballroom feel at times.

Sorry, you're coming at this from the direction, this is a show first and a dance competition second. The producer obviously thinks that vocals "add to the attraction" for the viewing public, that's why they also have guest singers.
    Each year it moves further away from the original concept.

As for the music choices I've not noticed any celebrity given consistently a worse choice than any other.
    Music "good or bad" is I believe down to personal perception.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Wasn't someone dancing a very non-Argentine Tango last night. I think that they should have asked for the services of Vincent Simone to tell them what needed to be included in their rather tame rendering of this dance.
    However, as usual they were over marked by the judges, weren't they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, you're coming at this from the direction, this is a show first and a dance competition second.

Sorry but you're wrong, in my opinion, of course.
    The title of the programme, in case you had not realised it is Strictly Come Dancing and that would lead me to believe the emphasis should be on the dancing skill elements and not what it has now been dumbed down into.
    Even Len doesn't seem to bother any more (most of the time).
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Sorry but you're wrong, in my opinion, of course.
    The title of the programme, in case you had not realised it is Strictly Come Dancing and that would lead me to believe the emphasis should be on the dancing skill elements and not what it has now been dumbed down into.
    Even Len doesn't seem to bother any more (most of the time).

You're not wrong about the title, but "strictly" went out of the window after the first couple of series.

What some think it should be is of no consequence, it is what the producer wants it to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're not wrong about the title, but "strictly" went out of the window after the first couple of series.

What some think it should be is of no consequence, it is what the producer wants it to be.

However, ultimately it is the public that make their choice and influence whether a show is viable and from my point of view it will be the off button in future, as it no longer satisfies my requirements.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member

Yes, I do realise it is a show first and foremost but as I am not a regular viewer I just wondered if couples are allowed to dance to music without vocals. I feel some of the Latin dances are sometimes not suited to be performed to a few contemporary pieces that have been chosen in the past. I would LOVE to see a rumba performed to "Un historia de un amor" but unless one of the singers is prepared to sing in Spanish (or they perform just to the music), I can't see this happening. I really liked them using the "Habanera" from Carmen for Felicity's dance, but I wish the production had given the singer more support and time to master the phrasing and diction of the song. Don't get me wrong, the singer did well but for those of us who speak French it was a bit uncomfortable listening at times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Wasn't someone dancing a very non-Argentine Tango last night. I think that they should have asked for the services of Vincent Simone to tell them what needed to be included in their rather tame rendering of this dance.
    However, as usual they were over marked by the judges, weren't they?

Really? I thought

Scott did Paso
    Kara did Ballroom Tango
    Pamela did Viennese Waltz
    Matt did Jive
    Gavin did Foxtrot
    Anne did American Smooth with a Quickstep base

So none of them were doing the AT :confused:
  • Options
    marinamaumarinamau Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I do realise it is a show first and foremost but as I am not a regular viewer I just wondered if couples are allowed to dance to music without vocals. I feel some of the Latin dances are sometimes not suited to be performed to a few contemporary pieces that have been chosen in the past. I would LOVE to see a rumba performed to "Un historia de un amor" but unless one of the singers is prepared to sing in Spanish (or they perform just to the music), I can't see this happening. I really liked them using the "Habanera" from Carmen for Felicity's dance, but I wish the production had given the singer more support and time to master the phrasing and diction of the song. Don't get me wrong, the singer did well but for those of us who speak French it was a bit uncomfortable listening at times.

I dont remember which dance or even if it was this series, but they did one song in Spanish. It was pretty bad spanish diction, however it was fine in the sense that gave a more latin feel to the dance.

By the way, it is hard for me to judge any AT and furthermore a Paso that does not have the proper traditional music. Although in some occasions it works.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marinamau wrote: »
    I dont remember which dance or even if it was this series, but they did one song in Spanish. It was pretty bad spanish diction, however it was fine in the sense that gave a more latin feel to the dance.

Thanks for the reply marinamau, that's good to know. I live in hope!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marinamau wrote: »

By the way, it is hard for me to judge any AT and furthermore a Paso that does not have the proper traditional music. Although in some occasions it works.
    It was Kara's AT this year :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How the hell was Matt supposed to be able to perform a creditable jive to a samba track! Scott's music wasn't much better, more foxtrot than paso. No wonder Pamela and Kara had the two stand out performances of the night, they at least got to dance to tracks that represented their actual dance.

Hated Matt's music (and the comedy acting). Also agreed with Len that it was a bit light and not into the ground and think that was partly due to the music. What a waste of Matt who could be such a brilliant dancer.

Didn't like Scott's music either (or the clothes). I think it did him no favours since it must have been difficult to get the feel of a paso (as well as the feel of the cape movements when your partner is wearing a bikini).

Agree that Kara and Pamela's music was more suitable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really? I thought

Scott did Paso
    Kara did Ballroom Tango
    Pamela did Viennese Waltz
    Matt did Jive
    Gavin did Foxtrot
    Anne did American Smooth with a Quickstep base

So none of them were doing the AT :confused:

Ah, that would explain my confusion. I thought that they announced the AT. Sorry, my mistake and must pay more attention for the remainder of this series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think that a lot of the music, props and dresses and custumes have ruined this series, in particular. What a waste.
    :mad:
  • Options
    frell-tasticfrell-tastic Posts: 1,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    parthena wrote: »
    We've never yet been allowed to see Matt dance at his best - I'm absolutely convinced he could be stunning with less tricksy, off-piste routines.

I agree, it's such a shame.
  • Options
    MamaboogieMamaboogie Posts: 3,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore Matt but I was sooooo disappointed last night. Not by him - I thought he did his best with the routine. But like so many posters, I just don't think he's been given the chance to shine. He is an amazing dancer but I think my favourite dance of his might be the Cha cha cha from week 1!

I thought he would be brilliant at the jive - but we didn't really get the chance to see:(

Come on Aliona - you have this amazing opportunity - let's see what Matt can do!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually, Tommy has said that he can speak a bit of Spanish, and Lance can too. There have been quite a few Sambas and Salsas in Spanish in the past (examples: Christine and Matt's Samba to Baila Baila Comigo and John and Nicole's Salsa to La Banda (sigh - if only we saw a Salsa like that again)).
    It's just a shame that I don't think they've ever had a Cha-Cha or Rumba in Spanish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cami_27 wrote: »
    Actually, Tommy has said that he can speak a bit of Spanish, and Lance can too. There have been quite a few Sambas and Salsas in Spanish in the past (examples: Christine and Matt's Samba to Baila Baila Comigo and John and Nicole's Salsa to La Banda (sigh - if only we saw a Salsa like that again)).
    It's just a shame that I don't think they've ever had a Cha-Cha or Rumba in Spanish.

Thanks for letting me know about the routines: just watched the one with Christine and Matt and felt the spirit of the dance came out so much better with the appropriate music! I just wish Matt B (or any of the other good dancers) would be given appropriate music like this.

I remember a Cuban friend of mine, who dances salsa, said how she found attitudes so different in Europe to attitudes in the Americas regarding the approach in learning to dance. She said in Cuba the focus was on letting the body move to feel and show the rhythms of the music whereas in Europe things were much more focused on learning steps (big generalisation I know, but somewhat true). I think with inappropriate music (as often happens on SCD) the focus IS definitely on the steps rather than interpreting the music (which for me is a central part of dance) which is shame for the great dancers on the show.

P.S. Is the salsa danced by John and Nicole available online? I couldn't seem to find it on Youtube.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoHaSQWAs38

The song for J&N is actually Ran Can Can; it's Heather & Brian who got La Banda:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YESjFdsaQI

Austin and Erin also had an instrumental Salsa with a proper Clave - great tune; shame the choreography wasn't great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNx8PVbsBjE&feature=channel