Have Android phones stopped the innovation in the phone market?

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Samsung could release the same high end phone on Bada OS though.

I'm sure only Samsung use that OS?

Think that's right but they would need to market Bada and why it's better than what is already available - don't think Samsung want to do that,
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilt wrote: »
    ...The reason Sony Ericsson are doing badly is simply because they were slow off the mark bringing decent smart phones to market..

Believe it or not, I'm going back to using my P910i. I just find it SO easy to use, given that I'm that rare beast that wants to use my phone for calls and texts mainly.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Android is so good why is there not one stand out model selling millions?

What Android can sell about 3 million on the first week of launch? That tells me there's a mass market of Androids for people and particular tastes.

Make a good Android phone and I might reconsider.

There are many if you actually bother to try one out.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    Until the ugly brick iPhone 4 that is.

Even the Apple show, umm, Gadget show's small poll of the general public thought the 3GS is a far more aesthetically pleasing design than the 4.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member

What Android can sell about 3 million on the first week of launch? That tells me there's a mass market of Androids for people and particular tastes.

I assume you have been living in a cave or you would know that the Samsung Galaxy 2 sold in excess of 3 million within two months of going on sale. Also, it is important to let you know that those sales were achieved without the overdone hype and marketing and advertising campaign and hero worship of the CEO that comes with every iPhone launch so claims of 1.8 million iPhones sold in less than a week are pointless.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears to be Android that is the most years ahead in the OS software innovation stakes.
    Away from the cutting edge software Android phones are also a generation ahead in screen technology from Samsung and LG.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Even the Apple show, umm, Gadget show's small poll of the general public thought the 3GS is a far more aesthetically pleasing design than the 4.
    Yup, the 4/4S is as brick but no one will admit it. Emperor's new clothes. They are still great phones though. But why have they got tiny screens and MASSIVE top and bottom bezels?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    It appears to be Android that is the most years ahead in the OS software innovation stakes.
    Away from the cutting edge software Android phones are also a generation ahead in screen technology from Samsung and LG.

That's subjective, I prefer the iPhone 4s screen to the Samsung Galaxy S2. The text is much sharper IMO and easier to read due to the high PPI.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd no doubt prefer the Nova Black to the Retina.
    It works outside far better. Likewise with the Super AMOLED Plus.

There are many positive things about how IOS how controls services via the API's. Conversely though, it also stifles innovation.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I'd no doubt prefer the Nova Black to the Retina.
    It works outside far better. Likewise with the Super AMOLED Plus.

There are many positive things about how IOS how controls services via the API's. Conversely though, it also stifles innovation.

The iPhone 4 screen has always been 100% viewable for me outside, I didn't have an issue with my iPhone 3 in that department either.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Android does have a flagship phone, the Nexus series. However, they tend to be rather ugly. Just look at the Samsung Galaxy S2 - it has sold well into the millions. Since Android offers more than 1 choice, obviously the phones don't all sell into the millions. That said, I have recently noticed how many people use HTCs!

Don't forget that the only reason the iPhone 4S sold so well is because it all the folk still stuck on 3GSs upgraded [after their 2 years].
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    Android does have a flagship phone, the Nexus series. However, they tend to be rather ugly. Just look at the Samsung Galaxy S2 - it has sold well into the millions. Since Android offers more than 1 choice, obviously the phones don't all sell into the millions. That said, I have recently noticed how many people use HTCs!

Don't forget that the only reason the iPhone 4S sold so well is because it all the folk still stuck on 3GSs upgraded [after their 2 years].

Ummm exactly how are they ugly? Yes the Nexus S is a bit plasticky, but the Nexus One was gorgeous and the Galaxy Nexus just looks like a sleek Galaxy S II :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    However, they tend to be rather ugly. Just look....
    Ugly plastic, ugly shape, ugly connectivity, ugly screen, ugly battery cover.
    A rather ugly word.
    Gormond wrote: »
    The iPhone 4 screen has always been 100% viewable for me outside,

No current phone screen is always 100% viewable outside. Not even the SGS2's or the Nova Black.
  • zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    That's subjective, I prefer the iPhone 4s screen to the Samsung Galaxy S2. The text is much sharper IMO and easier to read due to the high PPI.

Thats very subjective the 4 is a beautiful piece of hardware and feels like a well crafted handset in your hand compared to Samsung phones which are quite plasticy.

I am looking at making the jump to android and will be getting a Samsung G2 but man its a big change to make been searching all morning for a app that can simply sync with my iTunes library I have put far too much work into it to abandon especially when other kit at home will still use it.

I don't think Android has stifled anything infact it has driven it forward and the thing holding phones back now is battery technology. There is no point in putting all the bells and whistles on when the phone will only last a few hours.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    zantarous wrote: »
    Thats very subjective the 4 is a beautiful piece of hardware and feels like a well crafted handset in your hand compared to Samsung phones which are quite plasticy.

I am looking at making the jump to android and will be getting a Samsung G2 but man its a big change to make been searching all morning for a app that can simply sync with my iTunes library I have put far too much work into it to abandon especially when other kit at home will still use it.

I don't think Android has stifled anything infact it has driven it forward and the thing holding phones back now is battery technology. There is no point in putting all the bells and whistles on when the phone will only last a few hours.
    This may help in your transition. iSyncr
    I think you will find the SGS2 is more sturdy and better built than you suggest....Enjoy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah iSyncr was a recommendation that someone else gave as well just need to get a decent price on a G2 now, never will I believe people when they say a iPhones are expensive, all the shows in town wanted £500 for a SIM free G2 except o2 who just had the most ridiculous unlock process.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    eh? OP what you on about?

quite the opposite if anything,
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    eh? OP what you on about?

quite the opposite if anything,

Then why do all Android phones look the same?

All with the same features

HTC Sensation XE - 8MP Camera, 4.3" screen.

Galaxy Nexus - 4.65 inch screen 5 Megapixel Camera.

Samsung Galaxy S II - 8 Mega pixel camera 4"27 inch screen.

Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S - 4.2" screen 8.1 mega pixel camera

All the same cloned models. :eek:
  • wiltwilt Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then why do all Android phones look the same?

All with the same features

HTC Sensation XE - 8MP Camera, 4.3" screen.

Galaxy Nexus - 4.65 inch screen 5 Megapixel Camera.

Samsung Galaxy S II - 8 Mega pixel camera 4"27 inch screen.

Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S - 4.2" screen 8.1 mega pixel camera

All the same cloned models. :eek:

Mate, you've been given numerous examples of differences between handsets. None of the handsets you mentioned there look the same, each can be easily distinguished from the other.

Unlike the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S. You are talking nonsense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    This arguement is spurious. Regardless of certain cosmetic differences (which i personally think android models have the edge on) all phones have to be of a limited form. mainly because heads have a limited form....an ear on each side and a foodshoot at the front.

and while you're at it... take the time to add up the total sales of all the various android "clones" and weigh that figure against the Iphone monopolistic sales policy.

Still think apple has the edge?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilt wrote: »
    Mate, you've been given numerous examples of differences between handsets. None of the handsets you mentioned there look the same, each can be easily distinguished from the other.

Unlike the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S. You are talking nonsense.

Why no 12 mega pixel cameras or ones with a smaller screen than 4"?

They think 4" is better and the only reason they went up from 5MP is the 8MP Iphone was rumoured not long after the Iphone 4 launch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Megapixels is not the all and be all of the for a good picture the optics sensor and lens is what make a good camera. A decent 8Mp camera will be far better then a 12MP which skimps on everything else.

There are phones smaller then 4" but having had a iphone for so many years I now find the screen far too small to surf on especially since I got an iPad. Also if all andorid phones at least have a similar form factor and screen size it is easier to code apps and games so it is not a bad thing.

Also what do you want a touch screen phone to look like other then what you currently have? They are all going to be little mini tablets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why no 12 mega pixel cameras or ones with a smaller screen than 4"?

They think 4" is better and the only reason they went up from 5MP is the 8MP Iphone was rumoured not long after the Iphone 4 launch.

The same reason there are no 72 megapixel cameras in phones.

<4" screens:
    HTC ChaCha
    Samsung Galaxy Pro
    Motorola Defy+ (And the normal Defy.)
    Motorola Pro+ (And the normal Pro.)

And that is just after a quick 5 minute search. You have both smaller screens, AND phones with keyboards, breaking the screen-only form factor.

Unique enough for you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know about the mega pixel battle it's optics which count but my point is all these phones are "like for like". I really don't see a flagship model from any company perhaps the Galaxy S2 but we all know there will be a third model in six months to keep up with Apple. Infact is the Nexus not trying to beat the S2?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know about the mega pixel battle it's optics which count but my point is all these phones are "like for like". I really don't see a flagship model from any company perhaps the Galaxy S2 but we all know there will be a third model in six months to keep up with Apple. Infact is the Nexus not trying to beat the S2?

The flagship phones are always going to be the ones with the biggest screens, best cameras etc. etc. so you wont get one with a small screen. No doubt 12mp is on its way.

You need to look at the entire line ups. I've even done it for you. Looks up, there's some links. If you dig a bit further there are even some quirky ones like the Motorola Backflip and the Motorola FlipOut.