Options

Sky & Satellite Weekly News Thread, Week #51 - The last one for 2013

Comments

• Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, guys, there's always UTV Ireland to look forward to in just over a year and I assume that it'll at least be on the base level Entertainment pack on Sky Ireland like RTE One, TG4, etc. and perhaps even on Saorsat as well at some future stage.
    It's always good to see another channel entering the Irish market to increase competition but UTV will have a job on their hands to fill Saturday night schedules in particular as TV3 retained the big shows ... I hope they develop their own homegrown Irish programming and not fill with archive stuff .
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update

11.992 H, 27.500, 2/3.

"7657"....Now showing a "channel upgrade" screen.

Could someone with a Sky sub please check it for us?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update

12.515 H, 22.000, 5/6.

"50395"....Now showing a "channel upgrade" screen.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Digi Man wrote: »
    Update

11.992 H, 27.500, 2/3.

"7657"....Now showing a "channel upgrade" screen.

Could someone with a Sky sub please check it for us?

Thanks.

7657 is an ROI version of Watch
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    7657 is an ROI version of Watch
    'Watch' (ROI) is currently on 12.610 V, so most likely a transponder change then.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    The BBC has announced that "up to two red button streams will offer live content and highlights from Sochi."

There's one red button stream at the moment, so at some point in the next four weeks another red button stream is expected.

Based on previous major events, "Up to two red button streams" indicates probably Freeview will keep just one and satellite and cable will get two. Six streams available if you have Connected Red Button via Virgin TiVo or supported Sony Freeview HD smart TVs.
  • Options
    djrichdjrich Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here are the changes to the master list:

ADD:
    12.552 V, 22.000, 5/6.
    "54190"....No signal. For HUM TV

11.992 H, 27.500, 2/3.
    "7657"....Watch ROI, Videoguard

11.068 V 23.000 8PSK 2/3 DVB-S2
    20800 showing ITV London HD
    20810 showing ITV Granada HD (no sound)

11.097V 23000-2/3 8PSK DVB-S2
    21000 no signal for RTE HD?

11344H
    'The Style Network' label

12640 V
    Primetime label

CHANGE:
    11.390 V
    "53560"....Now showing 'Sonlife' with EPG

11.307 H, 27.500, 2/3.
    "52240" 2305/2306.... currently Studio 66 TV3 with EPG, will be "Play TV 2"

11.261 H,
    "52170" ....Showing "black screen", no longer EPG data for GEM TV

Txp# 73, 12.515 H, 22.000, 5/6.
    50395______upgrade screen (flagged HD)
    50396______upgrade screen (flagged HD)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digi Man wrote: »
    Update

12.515 H, 22.000, 5/6.

"50395"....Now showing a "channel upgrade" screen.
    This is now back to 'No signal'.

djrich wrote: »
    Txp# 73, 12.515 H, 22.000, 5/6.
    50395______upgrade screen (flagged HD)
    50396______upgrade screen (flagged HD)
    These are both at 'No signal'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update

11.222 H, 27.500, 2/3.

'Klear TV' (was showing Paversshoes.tv) label has been removed.

Update

12.670 V, 22.000, 5/6.

"54073" has been removed.

jimbo, please remove these two from the list, thanks.
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will do...

And, I will update this next week due to imminent changes. Read below and you will see why.

The changes are incomplete. It will be week 3 next week, then weekly thereafter.

UPDATE

NEW

11.097 V

21000 - showing ITV London
  • Options
    staticmanstaticman Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    11.068 V
    20800 showing ITV London
    20810 showing ITV Granada

11.097 V
    21000 showing ITV London

Anyone know what ITV are up to? :confused:

So that's two new Transponders which have been fired up, and both showing HD content. :):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    The BBC has announced that "up to two red button streams will offer live content and highlights from Sochi."

There's one red button stream at the moment, so at some point in the next four weeks another red button stream is expected.

Based on previous major events, "Up to two red button streams" indicates probably Freeview will keep just one and satellite and cable will get two. Six streams available if you have Connected Red Button via Virgin TiVo or supported Sony Freeview HD smart TVs.

There is also squarking from the BBC Blogs and via BT and YouView that the BBC Connected Red Button will be coming to BT Youview boxes in time for the games. we are waiting with baited breaths.
  • Options
    HarshadHarshad Posts: 5,996
    Forum Member
    staticman wrote: »
    11.068 V
    20800 showing ITV London

11.097 V
    21000 showing ITV London

So that's two new Transponders which have been fired up, and both showing HD content. :):D

Thats disappointing I was hoping 21000 would be RTE One HD
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    staticman wrote: »
    11.068 V
    20800 showing ITV London

11.097 V
    21000 showing ITV London

Hopefully it is indicative that they are finally going to increase the number of ITV HD regions on Sky from the current 4. Have to wait and see I suppose
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    Hopefully it is indicative that they are finally going to increase the number of ITV HD regions on Sky from the current 4. Have to wait and see I suppose
    This'll benefit Freesat also.
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    This'll benefit Freesat also.

Once the Meridian SE and Central West regions migrate to the new TP's it should finally see them regionalised on Freesat LCN 119 too. In the medium to longer term there will be more ITV HD regions on DSAT but not in the immediate short term.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    M60 wrote: »
    Once the Meridian SE and Central West regions migrate to the new TP's it should finally see them regionalised on Freesat LCN 119 too. In the medium to longer term there will be more ITV HD regions on DSAT but not in the immediate short term.

You may be right but what is your basis for saying that. There are currently just 4 ITV HD regions broadcasting but the two frequencies seemingly opened up could accommodate 8 to 10 HD channels. They would only need one of those transponders to accommodate the current 4 HD regions so why open 2 transponders.

I am merely speculating but given that ITV already have licences for 2 more HD regions (and could clearly easily obtain further licences for others) why are you so sure they won't launch as part of this process. Do you have direct info or is your view just that - your view?

What do you mean by immediate short term and medium to longer term?
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    You may be right but what is your basis for saying that. There are currently just 4 ITV HD regions broadcasting but the two frequencies seemingly opened up could accommodate 8 to 10 HD channels. They would only need one of those transponders to accommodate the current 4 HD regions so why open 2 transponders.

I am merely speculating but given that ITV already have licences for 2 more HD regions (and could clearly easily obtain further licences for others) why are you so sure they won't launch as part of this process. Do you have direct info or is your view just that - your view?

What do you mean by immediate short term and medium to longer term?

M60 is a solid and credible source so i trust his comments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    M60 is a solid and credible source so i trust his comments.

I wouldn't disagree but i'd still like to know whether he is expressing an opinion or it is more than that. Let's face it these forums are rife with speculation posted as fact so it isn't unreasonable to ask if it is an educated guess or based on something more.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't disagree but i'd still like to know whether he is expressing an opinion or it is more than that. Let's face it these forums are rife with speculation posted as fact so it isn't unreasonable to ask if it is an educated guess or based on something more.

I know DS is rife with speculation and a fair amount of BS claims, but M60 is one i am more than happy to trust without the need for links or whatever.
    But nothing wrong in asking :)
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The info posted by M60 is correct - just wait and see what happens - it has not yet all happened yet - when it does you may be able to work out what is going to happen.

Sorry to be vague, but patience is a virtue
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Also to note that the "missing" ITV HD regions on Freesat are currently on a Sky transponder with UKTV's Watch HD. These regions were until Oct 2012 encrypted by Sky. It makes commercial and contractual sense that once they're all together on an ITV transponder that they will all be added to Freesat.
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member

I can assure you it's based on fact. I appreciate and have seen myself, as we all have, those who come on here who claim they are in the know but speculate. As Jimbo and Popeye13 have vouched I am credible. Things I don't have knowledge of I'll always state when I've made my own speculative comments on other things, for which I do on here from time to time.

In terms of timescales, short term was referring to the next few weeks, medium term being Months away and longer term next year or the year after.

For ITV, expanding HD regions in to smaller non-macros comes at a cost for which doesn't yield the same degree of return as does the main four region macro ad model for them. For example, a business with mainly Northern and Midlands presence may decide to advertise on the Central W and Granada Macro which covers all of the Midlands and Northern England as the ads will also go out on Central E, Yorks E & W, Border, TT SD 'regions' etc. On the other hand a business solely in Carlisle, who will contribute less to ITV, will only be interested in the Border micro region. If ITV regionalised ITV HD down to, say, Border, then what extra revenue versus current viewing figures to ITV HD and associated distribution overhead will they get?

There will of course come a day when either Ofcom make HD channels fall in the PSB remit or ITV do decide to fully replicate all micro regions to do a full LCN swap on Sky and Freesat to 103. I'd like to see them at least add Yorkshire HD, Anglia HD and West HD which and do an LCN swap for those with a corresponding simulcast HD region but ITV have been reluctant to do this up until now. I think they'd like to do some grovelling to Ofcom to merge a few sub-regions before they decided to do full HD regionalisation.

One thing you've got to give to ITV is the fact they are running HD at good bitrates in comparison to what the BBC are now doing. It's a very poor show the beeb have reduced their stat Mux bitrate pool down to levels just to keep within the DTT T2 parameter netto bitrate allocation, all in the name of platform neutrality. >:(
    a516 wrote: »
    Also to note that the "missing" ITV HD regions on Freesat are currently on a Sky transponder with UKTV's Watch HD. These regions were until Oct 2012 encrypted by Sky. It makes commercial and contractual sense that once they're all together on an ITV transponder that they will all be added to Freesat.

That is indeed true and until now ITV have decided not to add them to Freesat although they've been FTA for well over a year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    M60 wrote: »
    I can assure you it's based on fact. I appreciate and have seen myself, as we all have, those who come on here who claim they are in the know but speculate. As Jimbo and Popeye13 have vouched I am credible. Things I don't have knowledge of I'll always state when I've made my own speculative comments on other things, for which I do on here from time to time.

In terms of timescales, short term was referring to the next few weeks, medium term being Months away and longer term next year or the year after.

For ITV, expanding HD regions in to smaller non-macros comes at a cost for which doesn't yield the same degree of return as does the main four region macro ad model for them. For example, a business with mainly Northern and Midlands presence may decide to advertise on the Central W and Granada Macro which covers all of the Midlands and Northern England as the ads will also go out on Central E, Yorks E & W, Border, TT SD 'regions' etc. On the other hand a business solely in Carlisle, who will contribute less to ITV, will only be interested in the Border micro region. If ITV regionalised ITV HD down to, say, Border, then what extra revenue versus current viewing figures to ITV HD and associated distribution overhead will they get?

There will of course come a day when either Ofcom make HD channels fall in the PSB remit or ITV do decide to fully replicate all micro regions to do a full LCN swap on Sky and Freesat to 103. I'd like to see them at least add Yorkshire HD, Anglia HD and West HD which and do an LCN swap for those with a corresponding simulcast HD region but ITV have been reluctant to do this up until now. I think they'd like to do some grovelling to Ofcom to merge a few sub-regions before they decided to do full HD regionalisation.

One thing you've got to give to ITV is the fact they are running HD at good bitrates in comparison to what the BBC are now doing. It's a very poor show the beeb have reduced their stat Mux bitrate pool down to levels just to keep within the DTT T2 parameter netto bitrate allocation, all in the name of platform neutrality. >:(

Thank you very much for that explanation of the current thinking at ITV. Much appreciated, and sadly in line with what I surmised might be their point of view. As with BBC One I doubt ITV will be minded to instigate an LCN swap until they can do so across the board in England (and Wales). The number of sub regions does make that an issue.

Pending that happening it would be nice if either a PSB optional HD swap arrangement was available to Sky viewers or if at least Sky and the PSB channels could rearrange the EPG listings so that the HD versions of the PSBs (or in BBC Two's case the SD version) appeared at say 201 to 205. The major frustration for those like me who watch almost exclusively the HD channels is simply their currently scattered set up 141, 102, 178, 230, 171. I don't see the current situation being the most advantageous arrangement for anyone.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Thank you very much for that explanation of the current thinking at ITV. Much appreciated, and sadly in line with what I surmised might be their point of view. As with BBC One I doubt ITV will be minded to instigate an LCN swap until they can do so across the board in England (and Wales). The number of sub regions does make that an issue.

Pending that happening it would be nice if either a PSB optional HD swap arrangement was available to Sky viewers or if at least Sky and the PSB channels could rearrange the EPG listings so that the HD versions of the PSBs (or in BBC Two's case the SD version) appeared at say 201 to 205. The major frustration for those like me who watch almost exclusively the HD channels is simply their currently scattered set up 141, 102, 178, 230, 171. I don't see the current situation being the most advantageous arrangement for anyone.

Thanks again.

I think 5 consecutive positions anywhere on the EPG would be better than current climate
    even 991-995

It's not rocket science
This discussion has been closed.