Scooter/Moped

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
Forum Member
So I am yet to do my CBT which I will soon but want to buy a 125cc scooter/moped. Now I don't want to buy an expensive one, but I'm worried about the cost of the insurance.

How much would you say it should cost and who are the good insurance providers?

I'm in my 20s if that helps anyone

Comments

• CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check out the price comparison websites as they quote for motorbike insurance. Won't be a patch on car insurance though as the main damage you can do is to yourself on a bike, unlike your first car insurance which can easily be a four figure sum these days. I'd expect it to come in under £150.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Check out the price comparison websites as they quote for motorbike insurance. Won't be a patch on car insurance though as the main damage you can do is to yourself on a bike, unlike your first car insurance which can easily be a four figure sum these days. I'd expect it to come in under £150.

See that's what I thought. I looked at a couple with a generic make from a site and I saw it go well into the hundreds and even thousands. Now, I have not had a car so no crashes, not been on any insurance before so not sure why it was so much
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SPM7 wrote: »
    See that's what I thought. I looked at a couple with a generic make from a site and I saw it go well into the hundreds and even thousands. Now, I have not had a car so no crashes, not been on any insurance before so not sure why it was so much

That surprises me, I've just ran some details quickly as a mid-20's male with no biking experience storing a bike in a garage in London and I too have come up with quotes in excess of £600 for the cheapest using a Piaggio as the type of bike.

I've ran exactly the same details through and added 10 years to the age and a mid 30's biker comes in under £300.

I then put the same details back as a mid-20's male and changed the licence type from scooter to full bike licence and that brought in quotes around £500 mark so shaving off £100.

That's all fully comp, if you go third party only (which you'll possibly have to) the prices plummet and you can do mid-20's male with full bike licence for about £200.
    Forum Member
    That surprises me, I've just ran some details quickly as a mid-20's male with no biking experience storing a bike in a garage in London and I too have come up with quotes in excess of £600 for the cheapest using a Piaggio as the type of bike.

I've ran exactly the same details through and added 10 years to the age and a mid 30's biker comes in under £300.

I then put the same details back as a mid-20's male and changed the licence type from scooter to full bike licence and that brought in quotes around £500 mark so shaving off £100.

That's all fully comp, if you go third party only (which you'll possibly have to) the prices plummet and you can do mid-20's male with full bike licence for about £200.

Thank you very much for your effort, much appreciated.

Is it because it is London? I mean car insurances were stupid so decided against a car but a friend out of London seemed to get his for a hell of a lot cheaper despite similar situation.

It's odd. I don't want to buy a bike and then go get insurance and pay as much for that as I did the bike itself. It's ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you very much for your effort, much appreciated.

Is it because it is London? I mean car insurances were stupid so decided against a car but a friend out of London seemed to get his for a hell of a lot cheaper despite similar situation.

It's odd. I don't want to buy a bike and then go get insurance and pay as much for that as I did the bike itself. It's ridiculous.

I suppose naturally if you're in the rolling hills of Yorkshire or the glens of Scotland you'll pay less, I think in London you'll have to go third party only, cheap bike, build up a couple of years experience and no claims bonus and by then you'll have aged couple of years too all making you a lower risk. Not much more help beyond that sorry.
    Forum Member
    I suppose naturally if you're in the rolling hills of Yorkshire or the glens of Scotland you'll pay less, I think in London you'll have to go third party only, cheap bike, build up a couple of years experience and no claims bonus and by then you'll have aged couple of years too all making you a lower risk. Not much more help beyond that sorry.

No problem, it's a struggle. I may as buy a car for those prices but a scooter works to avoid the traffic and weave through if I'm not taking public transport.
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I am yet to do my CBT which I will soon but want to buy a 125cc scooter/moped. Now I don't want to buy an expensive one,

Just for reference a moped by definition is 50cc and not capable of going faster than 31mph. You mean motorbike/scooter and avoid Chinese ones as they are the biggest hunks of junk that have no spare part network so you will struggle. Keeping it on the road would make the insurance costs a thing of the past. Go for Japanese or European brands and you can get parts anywhere should anything happen.