Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of the above:
    Quickstep
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Foxtrot or Quickstep because they always look so glamorous and (if the pair do it well) they look so light on their feet, almost like they're flying around the dancefloor.
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like all the dances apart from the Charleston and Salsa. These two dances have to be performed to near Pro standard for me to like them, but rarely are the performances from the Pro/celeb pairings that appealing to me.
  • Options
    LamballeLamballe Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Quickstep and Charleston.
  • Options
    jacksinclairxjacksinclairx Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Argentine Tango
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argentine Tango. Though having started AT a year ago as a result of having seen it on SCD I find that it should be led and not be choreographed.

I really enjoy dancing AT - and salsa which I have been doing for years.

Watching Salsa on SCD is quite painful.
  • Options
    thengp12thengp12 Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    Fave Ballroom. Tango
    Fave Latin. Paso Doble
    Fave "Other". Argentine Tango

Favorite out of the three. Argentine Tango
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    Quickstep every time. I think the Argentine Tango is a great dance but the celebs rarely perform it well. It's usually all jerky movements and weird lifts. When Vincent and Flavia do it it's a different story. I wish they'd come back to the show.
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've actually voted for the Viennese Waltz but I like most of the dances with the exception of the jive and rumba. I just love the flow of the music used for the Viennese Waltz hence this being my first choice.
  • Options
    gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like jive, quickstep and samba, but only when they're danced well, otherwise sambas can be terrible!
  • Options
    Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted for foxtrot, even though the Strictly version is somewhat lacking in the basics. Mega surprised to find some others have voted for it. I actually quite like a nice waltz but find the Strictly version far too static, sentimental and gentle. It is a much more powerful dance when done properly.

My favourite latin dances are rumba and samba but not keen on the Strictly version of the former.
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viennese Waltz is my favourite to actually dance but in terms of Strictly performances I would say the Waltz.
  • Options
    ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    The jive. I have loved it since Jill and Darren that night in Blackpool...
  • Options
    Guapacha2007Guapacha2007 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gone for the paso doble, but would have chosen the short lived rock'n'roll if it had been included, such an interesting style of dance, and it only lasted on strictly for one week!

The results last year seemed to suggest that rumba isn't particularly popular (although clearly popular in the poll above) it was the dance that put Abbey in the bottom two!
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Op you have to divide the 2 categories : Latin and ballroom.
    I can't do that poll because I can't possibly choose one.

Favorite in the Latin is the JIVE.
    Favorite in the ballroom is the Argentine Tango ( since its considered ballroom on strictly most of the times ).
  • Options
    white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need to be able to choose more than one from BOTH 'Latin' and 'Ballroom'--I LOVE Arg Tango but also Salsa and basic Tango; Enjoy Waltz, American Smooth and Quickstep, too. In fact all except Viennese Waltz, their stagey 'Rumba' version which is just extreme positions and NO rumba, and equally odd Cha-cha which also has NO cha-cha steps nor its music.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Quickstep!
    The best Argentine tangoes are great but the iffy ones are often dull. Charleston worst for me - for every sophie or Denise there's four or five that consists of gurning and dicking about. For which I blame hollins and ola completely.
  • Options
    Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cha cha cha! Love it! Also love the Tango, Paso and JIve.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem for the Latin dances in particular on Strictly is that they have mushed them up into a sort of Latin composite with a bit of disco thrown in backed by music that isn't the slightest bit appropriate. If they separated them out a bit more and used the right music it might be easier to say!
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argentine Tango. Though having started AT a year ago as a result of having seen it on SCD I find that it should be led and not be choreographed.

Appreciate your point re AT, but the reality is that all the dances are choreographed, none are led. Not that it matters, in my opinion, for this show and a minute or so, of dancing.
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Difficult choice as none of the dances - or rarely - are ever danced well enough for me to like them, there are a couple of exceptions of course. Perfectly understandable for dancers learning. Danced well, I would like Waltz and Foxtrot for Ballroom and CCC and Rumba or Samba for Latin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quickstep every time. I think the Argentine Tango is a great dance but the celebs rarely perform it well. It's usually all jerky movements and weird lifts. When Vincent and Flavia do it it's a different story. I wish they'd come back to the show.

I thought Vincent and Flavia were great But having danced AT their stuff is AT show dancing and not real AT. No way now that I'd want to pay to see them perform. Much better natural stuff on youtube.

As for the other dances, other than Salsa, I don't know any better.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You are so right about AT, it should be led and followed, but you could say the same about all the ballroom dances as well. In a major competition on a crowded floor it is virtually impossible to stick to any routine.

The thing with Strictly is that the celebs don't have time to learn the dances properly; they only have time to learn a set routine.

As for Strictly salsa's being painful - you mean you've actually seen a proper salsa? :D I always think they look like extremely poor imitations!

Glad you enjoy dancing the AT. Great fun!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Though to give them credit I am incapable of learning a 90 second routine. That's why I love leading at AT. - and the fact that one gets to hold a woman for 10 minutes in one's arms, cheek to cheek (or eyeball to eyeball) and chest to chest without having to buy her a drink or even listen to her ...:cool::D