Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P3)

Comments

• JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I didn't just go from big brother to this question, I've asked loads of questions on this...

I only asked this one twice...:blush:

I asked it because it is fundamental to lots of the posts on here.

It goes CU>Refusal of Debt>Acceptance into the EU. So, I wanted to get the fundamental question straight first.

If I misinterpreted, I apologise.

There is no CU. No party down here would vote for political suicide for the next generation.

Refuse the debt if you wish. You will be on the same monetary level as Argentina.

Refuse the debt and have no central bank means the EU will say no.

Is that clearer?
  • AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the SNP are conducting another poll. Just been phoned by someone from their campaign office, first asking which party I most identify with, and then asking the question that's going to be on the ballot paper.
  • saywhatyouseesaywhatyousee Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    I don't think a straight answer has been given , I've certainly not seen one

its actually quite refreshing to see people asking questions and trying to make sure they are making as informed a decision as possible rather than the usual partisan bickering that goes on tbh

Thanks...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    The point was that she asks the same question again and again, despite answers given to her.

She brought up her posting history, not me.

Only because you accused me of being a spy....:o:D
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New poll from Survation for BT

46% Yes, 54% No
  • Scott ChegScott Cheg Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    Latest poll 54% No and 46% Yes,

Looks like the 'don't knows' are finally having the confidence to speak without fear of being labelled as unpatriotic war mongrels.

Common sense will prevail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I misinterpreted, I apologise.

There is no CU. No party down here would vote for political suicide for the next generation.

Refuse the debt if you wish. You will be on the same monetary level as Argentina.

Refuse the debt and have no central bank means the EU will say no.

Is that clearer?

Not really because losing Scotland is political suicide anyway...what would it matter to then do a massive u turn if you're already pretty much out of the game anyway...?

I hope we don't refuse the debt it would be very wrong, just morally wrong.

Thank you for trying to help though...
  • mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Ye gods can anyone be more presumptuous

"No one doubts that all of the issues raised during the extended debate can be solved by the residents of Scotland. They will decide on a currency. They will decide on nuclear weapons. They will decide on membership in the European Union. They will be welcomed into the family of nations."

yes - the views of everyone else are irrelevant. :(

That's Salmond's view to. He said a currency union will happen because the Scottish government will the greatest mandate possible, the sovereign will of the Scottish people. Evidently we in England, Wales and Northern Ireland have no say in that.

The sad thing is so many Scots believe Salmond's fairy tales. I've no objection to Scots voting for independence, it's their right to choose, but if the yes vote wins those who've bought into Salmond's fantasy are going to get some nasty shocks.
    Forum Member
    Only because you accused me of being a spy....:o:D

I did apologise. :)
  • delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes voters would be in for a nasty shock when their employer decides to move their business to the south

What is so unique about Scotland that makes it impossible for businesses to make a profit?
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really because losing Scotland is political suicide anyway...what would it matter to then do a massive u turn if you're already pretty much out of the game anyway...?

different ball game.

Losing Scotland isnt really any politicians fault, its the lot of them together.

Whomever to agrees to CU, and I have doubts they could make such a change without a referendum of the rUK - something salmonds rhetoric has guaranteed there is no hope of being passed - will be done. Not just the politician, their party. The UK does not do currency union with foreign powers, its why the idea of the euro was given short shrift by most people, and taking on the liabilities of Scotland afte rthey fought so hard to get away from us is just not going to happen.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

England has no choice in losing scotland. Or did you mean EU? Losing scotland makes no diff to EU.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did apologise. :)

You did, accepted....
    Forum Member

I think you overestimate what we actually feel down here. Losing Scotland is an 'ah well, off you go' matter. We really do not care that much.

Baling you out with a currency union would, however, galvanise the country into hating whichever party that gave it. You really have no idea what the feeling is down here.
  • tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    they won't call it "currency union", to save their blushes.

it'll be called a fiscal partnership or monetary shadowiing or some phrase, but for all intents and purposes it will be currency union. UK govt will do what the banks tell them to do.

It's a pity the nats on here don't heed the comments made by someone years ago which went something like this........."O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us."

From the same man if I recall correctly sums up the SNP "vision" rather nicely........

"The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
    Gang aft agley,
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member

It is so much a heart versus head decision.
    If you are really set one way or another I don't think any rhetoric from politicians will sway you. The ones hovering in the middle are where the real battle for votes is. Asking questions is good, reading everywhere is good. I hope you find the information you are looking for :)
    I know I still have lots of questions buzzing round my head!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggertiny wrote: »
    It's a pity the nats on here don't heed the comments made by someone years ago which went something like this........."O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us."

From the same man if I recall correctly sums up the SNP "vision" rather nicely........

Gang aft agley,
    For promis'd joy!
    (The best laid schemes of Mice and Men
    oft go awry,
    And leave us nothing but grief and pain,
    For promised joy!"

And in english? :confused:
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is so unique about Scotland that makes it impossible for businesses to make a profit?

Not knowing what the currency is going to be in 2 years time is a bit of a bump.

Businesses are planning 5 years ahead, if we don;t know whats going on in two years, we look for another market. The impact assessment my management team produced is primarily focused on the currency aspect and the possible consequences of getting caught on the wrong side of a currency exchange for our services close tot he transition where the Scottish currency will be highly volatile. We do not do much work in Scotland but we still have to assess the situation.

I've already done the same with regard to the UK leaving the EU, you have to plan for all eventualities.
    Forum Member
    tiggertiny wrote: »

Gang aft agley,
    For promis'd joy!

Was that Gordon's acceptance speech after taking over form Tony? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    different ball game.

Losing Scotland isnt really any politicians fault, its the lot of them together.

Whomever to agrees to CU, and I have doubts they could make such a change without a referendum of the rUK - something salmonds rhetoric has guaranteed there is no hope of being passed - will be done. Not just the politician, their party. The UK does not do currency union with foreign powers, its why the idea of the euro was given short shrift by most people, and taking on the liabilities of Scotland afte rthey fought so hard to get away from us is just not going to happen.

But, it would be damaging for the rUK also, very damaging to the balance of payments and GDP. I can't see them doing that to themselves.

Anyway, I've caused enough trouble today...must get on.
  • AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mRebel wrote: »
    That's Salmond's view to. He said a currency union will happen because the Scottish government will the greatest mandate possible, the sovereign will of the Scottish people. Evidently we in England, Wales and Northern Ireland have no say in that.

The sad thing is so many Scots believe Salmond's fairy tales. I've no objection to Scots voting for independence, it's their right to choose, but if the yes vote wins those who've bought into Salmond's fantasy are going to get some nasty shocks.

What will Salmond care? His only goal is the achievement of a political ideology that has driven him since his teens, and since he first admitted that one of his greatest heroes was the Welsh Nationalist who condoned the burning of English houses in Wales on the grounds that if deaths occurred, then the single death of an English man or woman was nothing as compared to the death of the Welsh Nation.

When all the the bluster is set aside, it's this type of mind set that drives the man, but the politician in him knows that he has to now temper and disguise it with platitudes about a caring, sharing, more just society. After all, surely no one but the brainless rabble (a few of whom have taken to the street in ugly, intimidating mobs just recently) would buy into the inflammatory rhetoric that first inspired Salmond.
  • delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not knowing what the currency is going to be in 2 years time is a bit of a bump.

Businesses are planning 5 years ahead, if we don;t know whats going on in two years, we look for another market. The impact assessment my management team produced is primarily focused on the currency aspect and the possible consequences of getting caught on the wrong side of a currency exchange for our services close tot he transition where the Scottish currency will be highly volatile. We do not do much work in Scotland but we still have to assess the situation.

I've already done the same with regard to the UK leaving the EU, you have to plan for all eventualities.
    general elections provide the same level of uncertainty, surely?

i imagine you had to plan for minimum wage when it was promised in 96.(there were the same scare stories about this btw)

Both sides of the border will be keen to give you certainty as soon as possible after the 19th.

The rhetoric ends, the realpolitik begins on Sept 19th.

i'm not a proponent of corporation tax cuts, but if there is one that outweighs any negatives that arise, surely business would not move away?
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But, it would be damaging for the rUK also, very damaging to the balance of payments and GDP. I can't see them doing that to themselves.

Anyway, I've caused enough trouble today...must get on.
    But would it be as costly as having to bale out Scotland when the SNP's delusions of Independence fail to materialise and Scotland's economy is in the shitter?

If Scotland want Independence fair enough they can have it, they just have to be prepared to pay the price for this themselves.
    They want the benefits of Independence but don't want the risks...
  • BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://wingsoverscotland.com/to-my-friends-in-labour/

A must read for Labour supporters.

But, I already had deep misgivings about where we were headed as a party. I was tribally loyal despite them, but they came to a head in 2002, when the Parliament at Westminster, with a Labour Prime Minister at the lead, chose to send our soldiers to invade a country that had done us no harm, to overthrow its government in contravention of international law, after a fear-and-smear campaign many of us knew was based on lies.

It was one step too far. I couldn’t stomach it any longer. The disconnect between the things I believed in and the things the party appeared to care about was just too great. I gave up political activity, tore up my membership card and I’ve not gone back.

I considered returning when Ed Miliband became leader. I believed he reflected my values and shared my ambitions for what a Labour government should do. He also apologised for Iraq, something neither Blair nor Brown had ever done. Circumstances since have made me glad I didn’t do it.

I’m a keen student of politics and political campaigns. I’m astounded at the way this referendum has galvanised people across the country. Nearly a million who have never voted before – an entire section of our society which has been disenfranchised – have found their voices. If the polling is correct, a majority of them intend to vote Yes.

I understand why. This campaign has sparked something magical. The same awakening that has happened with them has brought me home. Not back to your ranks, not to Labour, but to politics, to engagement, after twelve long years outside.

I came to the Yes side late. I never expected to be campaigning with members of the SNP, for Scotland’s independence. It was an issue that had never resonated with me, something I would have voted against myself, but I’m content that I’ve done it after much thought and I know the decision is right. It chimes with everything I believe in, and care about.

I’ve heard many arguments as to why Labour members and voters should stand on the side of the No campaign. This is the time to put those arguments to bed. Think through what you’re being told, about what you’re really doing. Take the next day or two and consider whether or not you’re fighting for the right side.

Continues
  • hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abewest wrote: »
    What will Salmond care? His only goal is the achievement of a political ideology that has driven him since his teens, and since he first admitted that one of his greatest heroes was the Welsh Nationalist who condoned the burning of English houses in Wales on the grounds that if deaths occurred, then the single death of an English man or woman was nothing as compared to the death of the Welsh Nation.

When all the the bluster is set aside, it's this type of mind set that drives the man, but the politician in him knows that he has to now temper and disguise it with platitudes about a caring, sharing, more just society. After all, surely no one but the brainless rabble (a few of whom have taken to the street in ugly, intimidating mobs just recently) would buy into the inflammatory rhetoric that first inspired Salmond.

The rich idealists and the thick will follow Salmond into oblivion but it is the poor and unloved that will suffer from this vanity project.