The Carry On Films And Carry On Television Series Appreciation Thread

Comments

• SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    I'm struggling to work out which role Anna Karen played in Camping. I didn't recognise her in any of the scenes.

She was apparently credited as "Hefty Girl" and can be seen in the background of the bra fling shot as already mentioned.

There's a couple of screenshots of her in "Camping" as well as another of her in "Loving" here:

http://www.ciaranbrown.com/karen.html
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some more CARRY ON films coming our way over the next week:-

SAT. 20TH:-

CARRY ON CAMPING (1962), ITV3, 6.25-8.10am (+1 7.25-9.10am).

SUN. 21ST:-

CARRY ON LOVING (1970), ITV3, 7.50-9.40am (+1 8.50-10.40am).

CARRY ON FOLLOW THAT CAMEL (1967), ITV 11.30am-1.20pm (+1 12.30-2.20pm).

CARRY ON SCREAMING (1966), ITV3 3.45-5.50pm (+1 4.45-6.50pm).
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »

SUN. 21ST:-

CARRY ON SCREAMING (1966), ITV3 3.45-5.50pm (+1 4.45-6.50pm).

Now that's a cracking Sunday afternoon movie!
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kodaz wrote: »
    Speaking of that...

I've seen Carry on Camping many times before, but when I caught a bit on TV today, it occurred to me that the film would have come across quite differently if the "schoolgirls" hadn't so obviously been grown women in their twenties. :o

"Sid"- played by a guy in his mid-fifties who looked quite a bit older than *that*- peers through a hole in the shower wall to check out a bunch of (I'm assuming) 16-to-18-year-old teenagers and chases after one of them (who also seems quite keen on him)? Yeah, that's legal- well, probably not the first bit, but you know what I mean(!) but regardless of what you think of that, it certainly wouldn't have worked in the risque-but-innocent "Carry On" way if they'd actually looked their age!

I note that Barbara Windsor herself would actually have been (just) past 30 at the time she played the lead "schoolgirl". She does admittedly come across quite a bit younger... but not *that* young.

Anyway, to be fair to the makers of the film, I'm pretty sure they knew this damn well too and the non-literal young-woman "schoolgirls" were more for laughs against Hattie Jacques' and Kenneth Williams' attempts to control them than anything dodgier!

From Please Sir to Grease there's alway been the strange tradition of using actors that look 10 years older than they should.

Maybe this was to allay fears of lechery, it's OK to leer if you know the 15 year old nymphet is actually played by a 27 year old.

However In the 1969 film The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie the actress who plays the 16 year old vamp that the art teacher seduces [ very PC Muriel ] worringly looks rather younger than that.
  • oranges71oranges71 Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just love the food fight scene at the end of CARRY ON LOVING.
    My favourite line is when Charles Hawtrey is following Sid and making notes:
    'left Cock Inn...................saloon bar' !
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up watching Carry on Camping. Have always loved it and it is indeed one of the best Carry On films. However, after watching it today, I couldn't help but think how wrong this film would be if it came out today. You have Sid, a man who looks like he could be 60, trying to get his end away with a school girl. I can't help but feel a bit uncomfortable watching it now. And what would a girl like Babs see in him anyway? In reality, he's punching above his weight going out with Joan Sims who must be a good 20 years younger than him. But that not being good enough, he'd rather chase after a young Babs playing a girl who must be no more than 16. These are things I never thought of once when watching it years ago, but now I can't help see it in a whole new light. Never the less, it's still one of the funniest Carry Ons.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of that...

I've seen Carry on Camping many times before, but when I caught a bit on TV today, it occurred to me that the film would have come across quite differently if the "schoolgirls" hadn't so obviously been grown women in their twenties. :o

"Sid"- played by a guy in his mid-fifties who looked quite a bit older than *that*- peers through a hole in the shower wall to check out a bunch of (I'm assuming) 16-to-18-year-old teenagers and chases after one of them (who also seems quite keen on him)? Yeah, that's legal- well, probably not the first bit, but you know what I mean(!) but regardless of what you think of that, it certainly wouldn't have worked in the risque-but-innocent "Carry On" way if they'd actually looked their age!

I note that Barbara Windsor herself would actually have been (just) past 30 at the time she played the lead "schoolgirl". She does admittedly come across quite a bit younger... but not *that* young.

Anyway, to be fair to the makers of the film, I'm pretty sure they knew this damn well too and the non-literal young-woman "schoolgirls" were more for laughs against Hattie Jacques' and Kenneth Williams' attempts to control them than anything dodgier!
    I grew up watching Carry on Camping. Have always loved it and it is indeed one of the best Carry On films. However, after watching it today, I couldn't help but think how wrong this film would be if it came out today. You have Sid, a man who looks like he could be 60, trying to get his end away with a school girl. I can't help but feel a bit uncomfortable watching it now. And what would a girl like Babs see in him anyway? In reality, he's punching above his weight going out with Joan Sims who must be a good 20 years younger than him. But that not being good enough, he'd rather chase after a young Babs playing a girl who must be no more than 16. These are things I never thought of once when watching it years ago, but now I can't help see it in a whole new light. Never the less, it's still one of the funniest Carry Ons.

I have to admit to thinking this too, although as Centaurion points out there is a tradition of women playing younger girls in these scenes. So many songs from the past seem wrong these days, Young Girl for example, and they sit more uncomfortable with me than these films.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CARRY ON films coming our way soon:-

SUN. 28TH:-

CARRY ON CAMPING (1968), ITV3 7.55-9.45am.

CARRY ON GIRLS (1973), ITV 11.35am-1.15pm (+1 12.35-2.15pm).

CARRY ON FOLLOW THAT CAMEL (1967), ITV3 3.00-5.05pm.
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

CARRY ON FOLLOW THAT CAMEL (1967), ITV3 3.00-5.05pm.

I've still not watched this one. Is it any good?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quixotic wrote: »

Haven't seen it in years, from recollection was fine - think I'll watch it again!
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Phil Silvers takes on what would have been the Sid James role, cannot help but think it was an attempt to widen the appeal to the American market, I assume Sid James was ill?
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its what I term as "ok", but think Phil Silvers was the weak link as frankly he leaves me cold.

He got (double?) the fee of the other actors as the "star" name.....

Edit....PS got £30.000 for his part in "Camel" , compared to the £5.000 that Kenneth Williams and the other main actors did per film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the replies. I've had the big Carry On box set for years now, but I've never watched Follow That Camel. I will definitely give it a watch soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Its what I term as "ok", but think Phil Silvers was the weak link as frankly he leaves me cold.

He got (double?) the fee of the other actors as the "star" name.....

Edit....PS got £30.000 for his part in "Camel" , compared to the £5.000 that Kenneth Williams and the other main actors did per film.

What did the Carry On team think of Phil Silvers getting that much? I bet Kenneth Williams was annoyed.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did the Carry On team think of Phil Silvers getting that much? I bet Kenneth Williams was annoyed.

I don't know if Kenneth knew how much Phil Silvers earned but he certainly didn't like him.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camel starting now.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed watching Carry On Girls again this afternoon....................for obvious reasons.
  • bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed watching Carry On Screaming this morning, I don't think I could ever get fed up with it! :D
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,734
    Forum Member
    I watched Follow That Camel this afternoon and has anyone else noticed that Phil Silvers' specs don't appear to have any glass in them?:D
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed Carry on Girls earlier, despite it being approx the 14th time I've seen it! Missed Kenneth Williams though, its not 'classic' Carry On for me if he's not there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some more CARRY ON films coming our way (Up to & incl. Fri. 17th):-

SAT. 11TH:-

CARRY ON NURSE (1959), Gold - 3.00-4.50pm.

SUN. 12TH:-

CARRY ON AGAIN DOCTOR (1969), ITV3 - 8.30-10.15am (+1 9.30-11.15am).

CARRY ON MATRON (1972), ITV - 10.45am-12.30pm (+1 11.45am-1.30pm).

CARRY ON NURSE (1959), Gold - 10.45am-12.30pm.

CARRY ON REGARDLESS (1961), Gold - 3.00-4.50pm.

CARRY ON CRUISING (1962), ITV3 - 3.05-4.55pm (+1 4.05-5.55pm).

MON. 13TH:-

CARRY ON REGARDLESS (1961), Gold - 10.10am-12.00.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CARRY ON films coming soon:-

SAT. 18TH:-

CARRY ON CONSTABLE (1960) Gold 3.00-4.45pm (+1 4.00-5.45pm).

SUN. 19TH:-

CARRY ON CRUISING (1962) ITV3 7.50-9.40am.

CARRY ON CONSTABLE (1960) Gold 11.00am-12.45pm (+1 12.00-1.45pm).

CARRY ON UP THE JUNGLE (1970) ITV (not Scotland/STV) 11.35am-1.25pm (+1 12.35-2.25pm).

CARRY ON LOVING (1970) ITV3 3.00-4.55pm.

CARRY ON CABBY (1963) Gold 3.05-4.55pm.

MON. 20TH:-

CARRY ON CABBY (1963) Gold 10.05-11.55am.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some more CARRY ON films to come:-

SAT. 25TH:-

CARRY ON SPYING - Gold 3.00-4.45pm (+1 4.00-5.45pm).

SUN. 26TH:-

CARRY ON LOVING - ITV3 7.55-9.50am (+1 8.55-10.50am).

CARRY ON SPYING - Gold 10.50am-12.35pm (+1 11.50am-1.35pm).

CARRY ON CLEO - ITV 11.25am-1.05pm (+1 12.25-2.05pm).
  • ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some more CARRY ON films to come:-

SAT. 25TH:-

CARRY ON SPYING - Gold 3.00-4.45pm (+1 4.00-5.45pm).

SUN. 26TH:-

CARRY ON LOVING - ITV3 7.55-9.50am (+1 8.55-10.50am).

CARRY ON SPYING - Gold 10.50am-12.35pm (+1 11.50am-1.35pm).

CARRY ON CLEO - ITV 11.25am-1.05pm (+1 12.25-2.05pm).

Thank you again, Mr. Sirs. Nice have a heads up with Carry On films as well as Columbo episodes. ;-) :D

Watched 'Carry On Loving' a few weeks ago. Boy did I snigger when Charles Hawtrey's character was spying on Sid James (Mr. Bliss?) and spoke as he jotted down on his notepad: "Subject left Cock Inn..." Fnarr fnarr! :D
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Speaking of that...

It is amazing how social attitudes change -even in a couple of decades - as I too felt a pang of discomfort, if the scenario been literal. As your BIB states though, I feel it was for comedic effect as the women were a lot older and didn't look like teenagers.
    For me, for all their bawdiness, Carry On films have a certain charm - unlike On the Buses films which I think are crass and obvious, with two unlikeable male leads and women as either drudges or nymphos. But then, some may not think they are any different but I used to love Carry On films as I remember them from my childhood.

I think my favourites now are 'At your convenience' and 'Abroad'. I used to like Camping, but have seen it too often. However, I am always amused by the bassoon(?) music that accompanies Hattie Jacques walking down a corridor. :)