Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Old 14-09-2014, 18:08
_SpeedRacer_
Forum Member

Why not have flat kerbs and a pressure sensor that is far enough over so if ran over, they must have cut the corner and it alerts the stewards.
_SpeedRacer_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-09-2014, 13:25
lincsat
Forum Member

Have a couple of sensors, allowed to hit the first one 3 times then a penalty, hit the second one once for a penalty. Could be displayed instantly on screen, no waiting for the stewards to issue a "Beyond track limit" penalty.
lincsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 16:38
codename_47
Forum Member

Just caught the race start of last week's Italian Grand Prix on SSF1, they've evidently got Crofty to re-record the start commentary because in this version the Mercedes drivers are identified correctly.
I have no problem with this, it was obviously another crucial moment in the title fight and will be replayed a few times on season review/lookback type shows for a while.

He might as well get it done now than have to wait to the off season for the season review show

Even with the worst of James Allen and Jonathan Legard, I don't think my mum has ever been more annoyed with motorsport commentary than the Goodwood race on Motors TV this afternoon, too much not knowing what's going on and a lot of complete and utter nonsense.
Nepotism...

Commentary was much better on the official stream/Autosport channel. Henry Hope-Frost and Marcus Pye, I believe.
AND they're still up on Youtube for you to enjoy too, if you want to relive it with better pic and audio quality.

(How far we've come, I remember posting on here with Arius about how Goodwood seemed to be in a media black hole only 1 or 2 years ago, now suddenly we can enjoy the entire 3 day event live. Great work Lord March and team )
codename_47 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 19:49
far
Forum Member

Commentary was much better on the official stream/Autosport channel. Henry Hope-Frost and Marcus Pye, I believe.
AND they're still up on Youtube for you to enjoy too, if you want to relive it with better pic and audio quality.
Definitely agree with that - saw bits of Friday and Sunday and the commentary on there beat the MotorsTV offering but, sadly, the whole day coverage is now blocked to UK users Guessing it's a rights issue as highlights will air on ITV4 at some point in the next couple of weeks.
far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 21:25
scragend
Forum Member

Nah, I'm with FOM Fan on this one. I don't really care how the car is made to move, as long as it produces exciting racing. If that's petrol, diesel, cooking oil, hydrogen, Irn-Bru or the tears of small animals then so be it.
I would actually pay to see that
scragend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 06:33
pzboyz
Forum Member

I finally think the FIA and Charlie Whiting have gone too far with this 'ban on advice' from the pit lane to the drivers. After a decade or more of having the team radio, now they try to impose and enforce the rule, strange.
pzboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 10:08
mrprosser
Forum Member

I finally think the FIA and Charlie Whiting have gone too far with this 'ban on advice' from the pit lane to the drivers. After a decade or more of having the team radio, now they try to impose and enforce the rule, strange.
Have to agree, as there are now as many settings on the steering wheel as there are switches on the flight deck of the space shuttle, how can the drivers know what is the best, and sometimes safest setting to use?

The cars aren't fitted with fuel gauges, so why the ban on fuel saving details, especially as in the past the FIA have penalised drivers for not having enough fuel at the finish.

The drivers don't know what the fuel consumption rate is either, and now the engineers aren't allowed to tell them, so how is the driver going to know if he is using more than 100kg per hour, something Red Bull have been penalised for at the start of the season.
mrprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 10:21
FOM Fan
Forum Member

They're geoblocked (in the UK) now it seems :/
FOM Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 12:25
stevvy1986
Forum Member

Motors TV apparently has coverage of the Bathurst 1000 shootout (not sure what that is) from 10.30pm on Saturday October 11th with live coverage of the race running from 11.30pm-7.30am on the Sunday morning (and for the first time seemingly since forever, it doesn't run on Japanese GP weekend).
stevvy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 13:28
stefmeister
Forum Member

Motors TV apparently has coverage of the Bathurst 1000 shootout (not sure what that is) from 10.30pm on Saturday October 11th with live coverage of the race running from 11.30pm-7.30am on the Sunday morning (and for the first time seemingly since forever, it doesn't run on Japanese GP weekend).
I think thats the qualifying top 10 shootout.

They run a knockout qualifying similar to F1 & then for some races have a single car/Single lap shootout to decide the top 10 (Something thats been a part of Bathurst for decades I believe).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIQI0dvp6ZU
stefmeister is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 14:13
far
Forum Member

I think thats the qualifying top 10 shootout.

They run a knockout qualifying similar to F1 & then for some races have a single car/Single lap shootout to decide the top 10 (Something thats been a part of Bathurst for decades I believe).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIQI0dvp6ZU
They've shown it for the past 2 years at least anyway.
far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:40
stefmeister
Forum Member

So we get DRS in GP2 next year, In which case I won't be watching GP2 next year

As much as I dislike DRS in F1 I get why its there so I tolerate it hoping that one day rules are altered so that its no longer needed.

However the racing in GP2 is fine without DRS, Its just not needed here & if the series owners feel like the racing isn't what they want it to be then as a spec series they have the power to alter the car design to encourage & promote better racing without the need for gimmicks like DRS.
Old Yesterday, 19:12
FOM Fan
Forum Member

DRS will help the somewhat mish-mash GP2 IMO, although IMO GP2 (and GP3) needs a better TV deal. Something to actually take the time to explain the teams & drivers history, their driving styles, their achievements... To actually put the racing in context, so people have a favourite team or driver to support. F1 has that, but GP2 & GP3 doesn't which is a bad thing IMO.
Old Yesterday, 19:47
stefmeister
Forum Member

This is just a few examples of why GP2 doesn't need DRS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U_J_MEUzlQ

Overtaking is plenty possible in GP2 already & we see a lot of it all the way through the field.
Take the last race, Jolyon Palmer stays last after a post qualifying penalty & overtakes his way back upto 8th which gets him the reverse grid pole for the Sunday morning sprint race which he went on to win.

The racing in GP2 since day 1 has been some of the best racing from any category anywhere in the world (Hence why i've watched every single GP2 race since the 1st at Imola in 2005) & thats why to me (And many others based on fan-comments around the web, Including to GP2's official twitter feed) introducing DRS simply doesn't make any sense.

They can talk about training drivers for F1 & encouraging drivers to do GP2 to prepare to use DRS in F1 all they want but its all pure BS as far as i'm concerned as learning to push a button in a specific zone when your given the DRS activation signal via the Beep/cockpit lights is hardly something which needs to be taught in the junior categories.

In 2011 this is what the GP2 owners said regarding DRS:
"GP2 has always been about finding the best drivers, period. Our racing car is an extremely challenging car to drive at the limit, and it is meant to be: when you are one step away from the pinnacle of motor racing, you should be able to race and overtake without assistance from the car you need a selective car and strong drivers more than you need DRS or any other gimmicks, and I believe that fans and experts appreciate GP2 because it is pure racing and the best driver always wins.
I 100% agree with that & its a big part of why GP2 has always been as good as it is & the racing as enjoyable as it has been.
Old Yesterday, 23:00
FOM Fan
Forum Member

See, that example does nothing for me, Yes it's a driver overtaking, but what's it for? What position is he fighting for in the race? What will that mean for his championship position? For all we know he's just gone from 22nd to 21st... (Having the "Battle For" overlays like F1 does during overtakes would really help here to be honest). Also what about the drivers? I react more to an overtake if I know it's say Alonso on Vettel (if they're fighting it out for the race victory or 1st place in the championship) than I would if it was say Chilton on Bianchi. I know nothing about the drivers, their styles, their history (basically whether they're arrogant cheaters or not), and the same goes for a team to. "Russian Time" for example... I know that they took over from iSport I believe, and while I know the latter is a name that's apparently successful, nothing is ever explained about their history or anything, or their financial situation or anything like that, So I can't emotionally attach myself to the team. It's less neccessary to do that in F1 cos we know all about McLaren & Ferrari & their roots, but for GP2 & GP3 it's absolutely vital that the racing and the overtakes are given more context...
Old Yesterday, 23:24
cegueira
Forum Member

See, that example does nothing for me, Yes it's a driver overtaking, but what's it for? What position is he fighting for in the race? What will that mean for his championship position? For all we know he's just gone from 22nd to 21st... (Having the "Battle For" overlays like F1 does during overtakes would really help here to be honest). Also what about the drivers? I react more to an overtake if I know it's say Alonso on Vettel (if they're fighting it out for the race victory or 1st place in the championship) than I would if it was say Chilton on Bianchi. I know nothing about the drivers, their styles, their history (basically whether they're arrogant cheaters or not), and the same goes for a team to. "Russian Time" for example... I know that they took over from iSport I believe, and while I know the latter is a name that's apparently successful, nothing is ever explained about their history or anything, or their financial situation or anything like that, So I can't emotionally attach myself to the team. It's less neccessary to do that in F1 cos we know all about McLaren & Ferrari & their roots, but for GP2 & GP3 it's absolutely vital that the racing and the overtakes are given more context...
Totes amazeballs
/sarcasm
cegueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:38
stefmeister
Forum Member

See, that example does nothing for me, Yes it's a driver overtaking, but what's it for? What position is he fighting for in the race? What will that mean for his championship position? For all we know he's just gone from 22nd to 21st... (Having the "Battle For" overlays like F1 does during overtakes would really help here to be honest).
True for a random bunch of clips like that, But when watching live with the timing screen, graphics etc... You tend to know where everyone is & what position the battle your watching is for (At least I do).

Also what about the drivers? I react more to an overtake if I know it's say Alonso on Vettel (if they're fighting it out for the race victory or 1st place in the championship) than I would if it was say Chilton on Bianchi. I know nothing about the drivers, their styles, their history (basically whether they're arrogant cheaters or not), and the same goes for a team to. "Russian Time" for example... I know that they took over from iSport I believe, and while I know the latter is a name that's apparently successful, nothing is ever explained about their history or anything, or their financial situation or anything like that, So I can't emotionally attach myself to the team. It's less neccessary to do that in F1 cos we know all about McLaren & Ferrari & their roots, but for GP2 & GP3 it's absolutely vital that the racing and the overtakes are given more context...
I get what you mean by some of that actually.

Its the same with a lot of categories really, Especially those which tend to throw you into the world-feed coverage with no pre/post race.

I actually think the podium interviews have helped in that we now at least get to see/hear from some of the top GP2/GP3 drivers.
Would be good to see Sky do more with GP2/GP3, Have a pre-season preview, A post season F1 show style review program & get some GP2/3 people on the channel at times to talk about what these series are.

As I said earlier I've followed GP2 since race 1 (And F3000 before that) so I know a lot of the history of teams etc..., The more casual & newer fans I get why it would perhaps be difficult to really get into/care about them (Unless the racing really blows you away).
Old Today, 01:37
dansus
Forum Member

I 100% agree with that & its a big part of why GP2 has always been as good as it is & the racing as enjoyable as it has been.
The first car had tunnels and great racing, then they copied F1 design to make it relevant and things got a bit dull. Thankfully they went back to tunnels and the racing returned.

Hope this move doesnt lead to drivers waiting for the fun zone to overtake rather than learning and showing racecraft with high aero.
dansus is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:43
FOM Fan
Forum Member

True for a random bunch of clips like that, But when watching live with the timing screen, graphics etc... You tend to know where everyone is & what position the battle your watching is for (At least I do).

I get what you mean by some of that actually.

Its the same with a lot of categories really, Especially those which tend to throw you into the world-feed coverage with no pre/post race.

I actually think the podium interviews have helped in that we now at least get to see/hear from some of the top GP2/GP3 drivers.
Would be good to see Sky do more with GP2/GP3, Have a pre-season preview, A post season F1 show style review program & get some GP2/3 people on the channel at times to talk about what these series are.

As I said earlier I've followed GP2 since race 1 (And F3000 before that) so I know a lot of the history of teams etc..., The more casual & newer fans I get why it would perhaps be difficult to really get into/care about them (Unless the racing really blows you away).
I've been following sporadically since 2008, when we first got digital TV and I could see it on ITV4, and regularly since Sky came in in 2012. I remember seeing an F3000 race years ago (when I was at Butlins on holiday lol) with Heidfeld I belive in a car looking similar to a west-liveried McLaren.

But anyway, from what i've seen in terms of graphics, they have driver name graphics but they don't show you what position the drivers are at in the race half the time (if they're shown at all), it's madness. The graphics do need a major improvement in terms of how frequently they appear on the screen, and with more information.
Old Today, 20:22
stefmeister
Forum Member

After a meeting between the FIA/Teams today there has apparently been a compromise made regarding the team radio restrictions. Specific driving advice will be banned but instructions regarding system setting changes will be allowed.

Meanwhile Bernie is saying that the restrictions were his idea & that he'd like to go after telemetry next.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115916

I'd be against that if it meant we also lost the telemetry graphics that we get on the TV feeds. I especially like having telemetry on the OnBoard channel now.