Options

No X Factor in 2011?

FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
From the Daily Star:
THE X Factor is set to be axed from our screens.

And the Daily Star can exclusively reveal the show is not being planned into the 2011 schedules.

Auditions will not start in the spring, as they usually do, and they will not be screened next August, when they normally are.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/148012/The-X-Factor-to-be-axed/

Maybe considering the project across the pond this is of litle surprise, but it'd be interesting to see when the next series is launched if this is the case.

Comments

• Options
    thinkfunthinkfun Posts: 2,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought this was confirmed last year...anyway if there is another series i doubt cheryl cimon and dannii would return.....maybe louis....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thinkfun wrote: »
    i thought this was confirmed last year...anyway if there is another series i doubt cheryl cimon and dannii would return.....maybe louis....

I don't think anyone is sure what's happening in 2011 yet. ITV will be desperate for the series to continue.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's difficult to see how the two sets of live finals could run at the same time and Simon be a judge on both.
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Well American reality shows air during the week rather than the weekends like they do here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Well American reality shows air during the week rather than the weekends like they do here.

But Simon is Executive Producer of both programmes, which involves much more than mentoring/judging appears to.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think whatever happens the series is going to get a big shake up.

I don't see either Cheryl or Dannii returning for another year (and if even if they wanted too, I can see Simon getting bored of them now)

I guess it really depends what happens with XF USA, which of our lot (if any) do actually go over there and of course if it is actually a success.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    But Simon is Executive Producer of both programmes, which involves much more than mentoring/judging appears to.

It would be very difficult for the two sets of live finals to run simultaneously.On top of that,I'm sure Cowell has making the US one a success his top priority.
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    If Dannii and Cheryl leave it would flop.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see X-Factor being cancelled. It's too big a money spinner for ITV. They might just replace Simon as head judge. Simon has said in the past that Cheryl could carry the show so he's obviously been thinking about leaving for awhile. He'll want to concentrate on the US version but that doesn't mean the UK one has to be axed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see X-Factor being cancelled. It's too big a money spinner for ITV. They might just replace Simon as head judge. Simon has said in the past that Cheryl could carry the show so he's obviously been thinking about leaving for awhile. He'll want to concentrate on the US version but that doesn't mean the UK one has to be axed.

There's no question of the show being cancelled,even though you'd nearly think that from the Daily Star headline.The show is a huge ratings winner for ITV and seems to be getting even bigger each year.
  • Options
    tommygunnertommygunner Posts: 4,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    There's no question of the show being cancelled,even though you'd nearly think that from the Daily Star headline.The show is a huge ratings winner for ITV and seems to be getting even bigger each year.

That is the crux of the matter. Speculation on the degree of Simon's continued involvement is a perennial component of his negotiating strategy for the next season. He's ever determined to get more investment by ITV in guest appearances and production values.

My guess is that there may be some calendar changes, and Simon almost certainly will leave it to someone else to provide an employment scheme for Dannii Minogue. But it's almost dead certain that X Factor will continue on UK television in the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    Desert RatDesert Rat Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be a massive shake up I think for next year depending on the reaction to American Idol without Simon. Simon & Dermot will step down in favour of the American version which paves the way for a new male judge and Christine Bleakley as the host ...

I could see Dannii leaving too and Nicole Scherzinger will most likely be brought in.

Otherwise, X Factor and BGT will be switched around so X Factor airs in spring/early summer with Britains Got Talent from October-December with Simon quitting BGT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I think it could have seen its finest hour already tbh. I think it peaked in terms talent in 2008 and in terms of viewing figures and hype for the show last year, when unfortunately there was no-one really amazing. I can see it following the same pattern as BGT which lost a quarter of its audience for the final this year.
  • Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desert Rat wrote: »
    There will be a massive shake up I think for next year depending on the reaction to American Idol without Simon. Simon & Dermot will step down in favour of the American version which paves the way for a new male judge and Christine Bleakley as the host ...

I could see Dannii leaving too and Nicole Scherzinger will most likely be brought in.

Otherwise, X Factor and BGT will be switched around so X Factor airs in spring/early summer with Britains Got Talent from October-December with Simon quitting BGT.

No Christine Bleakley please!
  • Options
    justjaxjustjax Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like more utter nonsense from The Daily Star. No real reason that both the UK and US shows can't air and co-exist at exactly the same time. The judges don't really do that many days of actual filming for auditions or the later stages and therefore Simon could quite easily do audtions/bootcamps in both the UK and the US.

Also keep in mind that for the past several years, Simon has flown to the states each week while the X-Factor has aired here (including during the weeks of the live shows) to film the audtions/Hollywood stages of American Idol.

In terms of actual scheduling, this again is not an issue. X Factor will air in the same slot/days as American Idol, so live performance shows on Tues, results on Wednesday and that gives Simon plenty of time to ge back to the UK for the live UK shows on Sat/Sun.

Of course, Simon may very well have decided he doesn't wish to continue do such a heavy flying schedule, but unless thats the case the hole idea of he can't be in two places at once is nonsense.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    From the Daily Star:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/148012/The-X-Factor-to-be-axed/

Maybe considering the project across the pond this is of litle surprise, but it'd be interesting to see when the next series is launched if this is the case.

About time. This format died ages ago.
  • Options
    muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd take it with a huge pinch of salt, it will continue as long as they can squeeze money out of it.
  • Options
    justjaxjustjax Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muppeteer wrote: »
    I'd take it with a huge pinch of salt, it will continue as long as they can squeeze money out of it.
    Exactly and given that last years was the biggest and most sucessful to date, ITV or Simon aren't walking away from it anytime soon. In fact, the XF (along with BGT) essentially saved ITV during the 2008/09 advertising recession and if I remember correctly, the XF alone brought in approx £20 million in advertising revenue.
  • Options
    TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    The X Factor USA is due to start in August 2011(exactly the same time that the X Factor Uk would be on air). This is going to be impossible for Simon to manage so it think they will take a year off from X factor UK and then bring it back in January 2012 and from then on run it from January to May instead of August to December.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Tiffani wrote: »
    The X Factor USA is due to start in August 2011(exactly the same time that the X Factor Uk would be on air). This is going to be impossible for Simon to manage so it think they will take a year off from X factor UK and then bring it back in January 2012 and from then on run it from January to May instead of August to December.

It should stay where it is. Moving the show to a completely different time of the year just because one of the judges has other commitments is just ludicrous. :rolleyes:

I suppose the British people's infatuation with Cowell is stil going on. It's amazing how people believe the persona created about him. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    It should stay where it is. Moving the show to a completely different time of the year just because one of the judges has other commitments is just ludicrous. :rolleyes:

I suppose the British people's infatuation with Cowell is stil going on. It's amazing how people believe the persona created about him. :p

I think a lot may depend on how Britain's Got Talent does without Simon in the spring. If it performs as well as the last series then he'll be happier to replace himself on the panel/change the format back to three judges and then leave the production side to his team. If Britain's Got Talent struggles then he may say to ITV that he wants The X Factor moved so both UK and US can run with him present.
  • Options
    dexydaldexydal Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    justjax wrote: »
    Sounds like more utter nonsense from The Daily Star. No real reason that both the UK and US shows can't air and co-exist at exactly the same time. The judges don't really do that many days of actual filming for auditions or the later stages and therefore Simon could quite easily do audtions/bootcamps in both the UK and the US.

Also keep in mind that for the past several years, Simon has flown to the states each week while the X-Factor has aired here (including during the weeks of the live shows) to film the audtions/Hollywood stages of American Idol.

In terms of actual scheduling, this again is not an issue. X Factor will air in the same slot/days as American Idol, so live performance shows on Tues, results on Wednesday and that gives Simon plenty of time to ge back to the UK for the live UK shows on Sat/Sun.

Of course, Simon may very well have decided he doesn't wish to continue do such a heavy flying schedule, but unless thats the case the hole idea of he can't be in two places at once is nonsense.

Simon only flew back to the States on one week for Hollywood week. The Idol auditions were long over by the time the XF live shows started.

Don't forget he isn't just a judge on both shows, but a producer too. He will be at the rehearsals as well as the live shows, so that is three days for each show. That only leaves one day for flying. You couldn't do it with the jet lag back from the States too.

The live shows apart, there will also be the auditions going at the same time in both countries, boot camp and the judges houses.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    XFactor is on ITV, Channel 5 is owned by the same person as the Daily Star. Channel 5 want XFactor for themselves......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    i cant see this happening but i do think the x factor needs a years break and come back in 2012 all refreshed, that way people will not get bored with it
  • Options
    cyrilsneercyrilsneer Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    justjax wrote: »

It isn't utter nonsense, they have spoke themselves of changing things. But its not a case they would delay it for an entire year, they would just possibly jig things about so X-Factor UK started airing spring/summer rather than autumn/winter from 2012 - so while there would be no XF in 2011 the gap wouldn't be an entire year. It's then give him the gap free in Autumn/Winter to do XF USA.

I don't think ITV would axe it, even it if it was stale. It gets 19 million viewers, attracts the most lucrative advertsing contract, and they have a golden handcuffs deal with Cowell himself. They couldn't afford to axe it lol