What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycat wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've read it but wasn't it because
    She had been beaten up or something just before they went there so her face was all swollen and bruised so not recognisable?

Yes, you're right. Though it still niggled with me slightly. However, it's a minor thing really and I'm relishing the next book in the series!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Devil Rides Out, The Second Coming ---- Paul O'Grady
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Just started The Bat by Jo Nesbo.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rivers of London, Ben Aaronovitch. It's a good read.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Finished The Dinner by Herman Koch, after a promising start, it went a bit soapish in the middle, I didn't enjoy it, I didn't like or care for any of the characters, and I found the central dilemna and the reactions thereto unbelievable.

I've just started Umberella by Will Self.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    newkid30 wrote: »
    Finished The Dinner by Herman Koch, after a promising start, it went a bit soapish in the middle, I didn't enjoy it, I didn't like or care for any of the characters, and I found the central dilemna and the reactions thereto unbelievable.

I've just started Umberella by Will Self.

I had a look at Umbrella but it seemed pretty heavy going.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a look at Umbrella but it seemed pretty heavy going.
    It does look heavy going. Read it last year, only because I said I would read all the Booker shortlist. Can't say I opened it with a smile on my face, but once I got into the rhythm, it was easier than I expected, and is very moving.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've finished 3 audiobooks:-
    Agatha Raisin and Kissing Christmas Goodbye by M.C. Beaton. I don't know whether it's representative of the other Agatha Raisin books, but if this one is anything to go by, I shan't be reading the others!
    The Blue Carbuncle by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. A Sherlock Holmes short story with a slight Christmas theme. Quite good.
    A Question of Identity by Susan HiIl. Very good.

I've just started The Woodcutter by Kate Danley. So far it's a mish mash and rehash of fairy stories. I don't think that it's going to turn into a literary masterpiece but is quite readable. It's the Kindle deal of the day, but I've spent a fortune on "bargain books" over the past couple of weeks, so I've borrowed this one as part of a one month Amazon Prime trial that came with my new Kindle Fire. I shan't be continuing with Prime after the end of the trial so presumably the book will turn into a pumpkin or something if I don't finish it in time.

I'm also about to start listening to To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf read by Juliet Stevenson.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    babysweet wrote: »
    It does look heavy going. Read it last year, only because I said I would read all the Booker shortlist. Can't say I opened it with a smile on my face, but once I got into the rhythm, it was easier than I expected, and is very moving.

I either love or abhor Self's books usually but this did intrigue me. If I see itat a good price ill give ita go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Place of Execution - Val McDermid.

I've not been able to get into anything I've started on in the past few weeks, but this one, once it got going, has drawn me in.
    I've a feeling I'm not altogether going to like the way it ends though!
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1984 - George Orwell - read it many years ago so its a reread, very good so far
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy". I saw 5 volumes of it cheap on Kindle.
  • PenicilinaPenicilina Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Night School: Legacy, Book 2 in the series. Thoroughly enjoyed the first and the second so far has started off pretty well.
  • theiatheia Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recently finished Into The Darkest Corner, Elizabeth Haynes(excellent) and Afterwards, Rosamund Lupton (also excellent).

I'm now halfway through Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn, which I can't put down.
  • jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    Echo Burning by Lee Child. Excellent so far

I'm currently reading that too:D
  • eveningstareveningstar Posts: 19,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Almost finished Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel. Loving it and will be sorry when I reach the last page and it's all over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I'm reading Holes by Louis Sacher. It's a funny little book about a boys detention camp where they have to dig holes for punishment. I remember my little brother being taken to see the film in school but didn't realise it was a book. It's short as its a YA book but it's well written & a great story.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boobyloo wrote: »
    I'm reading Holes by Louis Sacher. It's a funny little book about a boys detention camp where they have to dig holes for punishment. I remember my little brother being taken to see the film in school but didn't realise it was a book. It's short as its a YA book but it's well written & a great story.

Excellent film:)
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Letters from Home - Kristina McMorris
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson.

It's been on my reading list for ages and only just got round to it. Needless to say, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I've just finished readings for three plays so it's nice to be back reading a novel!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently reading Winter in Madrid by CJ Sansom.

Not very far in yet, its not gripping me, but as my kindle tells me, i have only read 4%, so plenty of time to warm to it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazysusan wrote: »
    Currently reading Winter in Madrid by CJ Sansom.

Not very far in yet, its not gripping me, but as my kindle tells me, i have only read 4%, so plenty of time to warm to it!

I downloaded this one too but it's one of a few books I've tried, and failed, to get into over the past couple of weeks - I'll go back to it later when I've got the patience for a slow burner!

Finished A Place of Execution, a good read but slightly predictable - I'll definitely be reading more of Val McDermud's books after this one.

Have moved onto Pride And Prejudice now - I'd forgotten how much I love that book - really enjoying it!:)
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson.

It's been on my reading list for ages and only just got round to it. Needless to say, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I've just finished readings for three plays so it's nice to be back reading a novel!

I watched a documentary about her a couple of weeks ago and didn't realise that 'oranges' was actually based on her. A very charismatic woman.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reading All Fall Down by Erica Spindler, it's taking it's time to enthral me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just started Enclave by Ann Aguirre. It's a YA post apocalyptic affair, I spotted it in the YA thread. :) I'm not very far into it but its really fascinating so far.