Football Commentators Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• wit-hamwit-ham Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Slightly OT but Andrew Cotter has gone off air unwell commentating on the Italy V Wales 6 Nations. Co comm Jonathan Davies has took over!

Edit: and now Shane Williams has joined from pitch side to join Jonathan.
  • sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wit-ham wrote: »
    Slightly OT but Andrew Cotter has gone off air unwell commentating on the Italy V Wales 6 Nations. Co comm Jonathan Davies has took over!

Edit: and now Shane Williams has joined from pitch side to join Jonathan.

Just wrote about this on non-football commentators thread but if anyone missed it Cotter started the match then disappeared after 5 minutes and left Davies by himself and now Shane Williams who was doing punditry for the BBC had joined Davies in the commentary box.

Must say they are doing quite well in unforeseen circumstances
  • HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Arsenal v Aston Villa - Joe Speight & Dean Sturridge
    Norwich v Everton - Phil Blacker & Garry Birtles
    QPR v Manchester Utd - Gary Taphouse & Tony Gale
    Reading v Wigan - Jonathan Beck & Efan Ekoku
    West Brom v Sunderland - Gary Weaver & Trevor Francis
  • Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loyalsince wrote: »
    I must say this game isn't too bad. World feed of Tony Jones signifies the importance of it though!

Mlt11's post is very good on the previous page. (Summary of picks)

In practice Manchester United are the most important team to schedule games around. If you were allowed to show 10 games a season (and had an open pick policy) I bet at least 8 would feature Man Utd.

It is worth noting that BT will only be able to show 5 out of Man Utd 33 weekend rounds. Strategic decision for Sky will be whether or not to block out Aug by having picks 1,2 and 3- thus menaing BT cannot show a 'big,' match until September. The downside is that BT would get some better games later in the season. I think Sky will go down this route, even if it means not showing Man City V Liverpool in October for example.

If I was Sky I would 'dare down,' BT a bit though. For example on weeks 2 and 3 this season, Man Utd games were of quite low quality from memory. If Sky don't pick them next season, BT would probably take two in Aug. That would leave BT with only 3/30 Man Utd picks. That would mean that in October (based on this year) Sky could pass first pick on a game such as Newcastle V Man Utd as if BT take they only have 2 picks left, if they don't- Sky can take it as a 4th/5th pick.

Very, very tough call for BT to make next year. Poor start but higher quality later in the season, or big as start as you can get (but still not brilliant) but poor quality later on.

Good post.

I reckon BT's strategy (at least for their first season) will be to frontload their coverage with higher quality matches towards the start of the season if they can. They need to try and attract subscribers from the get-go.

After the first season, they may tone things down a bit and have a more consistent quality throughout the season. However if Sky have priority over first picks (as is expected) then BT won't be able to dictate their own strategy fully. Sky will have a major hand to play in how BT go about their business.
  • jimmyladjimmylad Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sporter92 wrote: »
    Just wrote about this on non-football commentators thread but if anyone missed it Cotter started the match then disappeared after 5 minutes and left Davies by himself and now Shane Williams who was doing punditry for the BBC had joined Davies in the commentary box.

Found the commentary very enjoyable. having two co commentators as opposed to the traditional system with a main commentator could work very well in sports like rugby and football, I like to see more of it.
    Forum Member
    Bristol City vs Barnsley

World Feed - John Roder
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loyalsince wrote: »
    I must say this game isn't too bad. World feed of Tony Jones signifies the importance of it though!

Mlt11's post is very good on the previous page. (Summary of picks)

In practice Manchester United are the most important team to schedule games around. If you were allowed to show 10 games a season (and had an open pick policy) I bet at least 8 would feature Man Utd.

It is worth noting that BT will only be able to show 5 out of Man Utd 33 weekend rounds. Strategic decision for Sky will be whether or not to block out Aug by having picks 1,2 and 3- thus menaing BT cannot show a 'big,' match until September. The downside is that BT would get some better games later in the season. I think Sky will go down this route, even if it means not showing Man City V Liverpool in October for example.

If I was Sky I would 'dare down,' BT a bit though. For example on weeks 2 and 3 this season, Man Utd games were of quite low quality from memory. If Sky don't pick them next season, BT would probably take two in Aug. That would leave BT with only 3/30 Man Utd picks. That would mean that in October (based on this year) Sky could pass first pick on a game such as Newcastle V Man Utd as if BT take they only have 2 picks left, if they don't- Sky can take it as a 4th/5th pick.

Very, very tough call for BT to make next year. Poor start but higher quality later in the season, or big as start as you can get (but still not brilliant) but poor quality later on.
    Igloo_Man wrote: »
    Good post.

I reckon BT's strategy (at least for their first season) will be to frontload their coverage with higher quality matches towards the start of the season if they can. They need to try and attract subscribers from the get-go.

After the first season, they may tone things down a bit and have a more consistent quality throughout the season. However if Sky have priority over first picks (as is expected) then BT won't be able to dictate their own strategy fully. Sky will have a major hand to play in how BT go about their business.

Slightly pedantic point but BT could show 7 Man Utd weekend games if they don't choose Man Utd in midweek. That's obviously pretty unlikely but is certainly possible if there are no big Man Utd head to heads in midweek.

I also think BT will frontload. Setanta frontloaded and ESPN frontloaded. If you have a relatively small number of games I think you have to frontload because that's when the big push is for subscriptions.

Also BT will be doing massive advertising just before the season starts (of all BT services, not just BT Sport). They will want as impressive a list as possible of games in the first 6 to 8 weeks of the season.

I'm sure Sky will want to puncture that as much as they can so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sky goes Man Utd weeks 1,2,3 or at least 1,2,4 but obviously Sky would prefer Man Utd to have pretty decent games.

But it is a balancing act - if Sky use 1st pick in 1,2,3 plus they'll obviously want 1st pick 37,38 and probably 36 then that's 6 used up leaving a 14/13 split for middle 27 weekends.

I suspect it'll depend to some degree on fixture lst - I imagine Sky (internally) plot out the entire season and then weigh up what is best.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Airbus UK Broughton V The New Saints (Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League)

S4C - Morgan Jones hosting from the Hollingsworth Group stadium, with Dai Davies as analyst and expert umbrella holder. Commentary is from Dylan Ebenzer and Malcolm Allen.

Highlights of the Gainsborough Trinity V Wrexham game will be on after this match finishes (sometime after 7pm), but they've already given away the score and showed the Wrexham fans shouting their heads off at full time, so no doubt then, that they weren't going do to a 'we won't tell you the score' mode.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sporter92 wrote: »

You say unforeseen but surely Cotter would have warned his co-commentator and producer beforehand that he was feeling dodgy and might have to dash off if the need arose?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schalke v Dusseldorf - Bundesliga (ESPN HD)

Commentators:
    Peter Drury & Stewart Robson
    Forum Member
    Middlesbrough v Millwall

Sky Sports 2 HD - Bill Leslie & Andy Hinchcliffe
    World Feed - Dan O'Hagan
    Forum Member
    Real Zaragoza vs Valencia

World Feed - Paul Giblin
    Forum Member
    Deportivo La Coruna v Real Madrid

Sky Sports 4 HD - Jon Driscoll & Terry Gibson
    Al Jazeera Sport +3 - Tim Caple
    World Feed - Duncan Bishop & Pete Jenson
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    You say unforeseen but surely Cotter would have warned his co-commentator and producer beforehand that he was feeling dodgy and might have to dash off if the need arose?

He only started feeling ill 10 mins before the game, so clearly then he indicated, probably... then five mins in he had to dash.

Clive T doing commentary for 'Ant v Dec' on Saturday Night Takeaway... If old favourite QPRKeithJ was on here wonder if Clive would start getting called Takeaway along with Jonathan 'Robot Wars' Pearce. :p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me wrote: »
    Airbus UK Broughton V The New Saints (Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League)

S4C - Morgan Jones hosting from the Hollingsworth Group stadium, with Dai Davies as analyst and expert umbrella holder. Commentary is from Dylan Ebenzer and Malcolm Allen.

Highlights of the Gainsborough Trinity V Wrexham game will be on after this match finishes (sometime after 7pm)....

Bryn Tomos and Waynne Phillips did commentary on the Wrexham game, with Dylan Ebenezer doing it via the Red Button English language.

Airbus UK Broughton do play next to an Airfield (but that's as much as Airbus the Aerospace company has to do with the Football club), so he must've used that style of transport to get to the match within 20 minutes :D
    Forum Member
    Palermo v Genoa

World Feed - Paul Visca
    Forum Member
    Heerenveen v FCTwente

World Feed - Richard Kaufman
    Forum Member
    Barcelona v Sevilla

Sky Sports 4 HD - Kevin Keatings & Gerry Armstrong
    World Feed - Duncan Bishop & Pete Jenson
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Minto & Toshack in the studio
  • Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clive T doing commentary for 'Ant v Dec' on Saturday Night Takeaway... If old favourite QPRKeithJ was on here wonder if Clive would start getting called Takeaway along with Jonathan 'Robot Wars' Pearce. :p:D

Jonathan Pearce was brilliant on Robot Wars. What a show - they don't make them like that anymore :(
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Igloo_Man wrote: »
    Jonathan Pearce was brilliant on Robot Wars. What a show - they don't make them like that anymore :(

To be fair his excitable style was good for RW, indeed!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamaica U20 V Panama U20 (CONCACAF U20 Championship Group C)

Mark Tompkins for the World feed.

They've just shown Paulo Wanchope in the crowd (him of Derby County at Old Trafford) fame. He's currently involved within the Costa Rican national side set-up.
  • The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    Andy79 wrote: »
    Can anyone let me know if Sports Tonight on Sky channel 498showed the Polish football tonight? Thanks.

As Homesdale has said, I think they're no longer on Sky, but they did have the Ekstraklasa game according to the EPG on Freeview
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the events at Italy v Wales in the Six Nations today, the BBC were quite lucky in that they could draft in a commentator from a sister station (S4C) at half time.

In football, how would Sky, ESPN or ITV cope with a commentator taking ill during a game? Would they take the "nuclear option" of reverting to the world feed, or do they have someone on standby ready to take over?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me wrote: »
    Jamaica U20 V Panama U20 (CONCACAF U20 Championship Group C)

Mark Tompkins for the World feed.

...and in use again for the World Feed (Well, betting sites and CONCACAF.tv really) on Mexico V El Salvador

Ah, the memories of the crowd chanting a slang for Homosexual, like I would hear when watching the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup held over in Mexico.
This discussion has been closed.