Options

In the event of a YES vote: England/Wales/NI must be ruthless

Scott ChegScott Cheg Posts: 393
Forum Member
If Scotland votes to exit the UK, then good luck to them. However, we should not be sending them over the horizon laden with the CD collection... Time to draw a line and if it means shafting this newly foreign country in order to help the remaining UK members, then so be it.

There's no 'pre-nup' in this divorce...

Comments

• Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I absolutely agree.

Hard ball all the way.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    And if its a no vote it seems we will concede it all i.e. Devo max and effective independence anyway but with the English and Welsh becoming second class citizens relative to Scottish ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    And if its a no vote it seems we will concede it all i.e. Devo max and effective independence anyway but with the English and Welsh becoming second class citizens relative to Scottish ones.

Yes. That has pissed me off no end.

They already get more than us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly- If I was in charge, I would give them nothing and let them start from scratch
  • Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth would I want to do this? :confused:

If they become independent, I would wish them all the best and hope my country does all it can to help them get off to an exciting and fresh new start.

Just as I hope they would help and support us when we in Wales get our independence :)
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

Cameron kept Devo-Max off the ballot paper as he did not want it, if they vote no its game over for them i fear.

Its about time something however was done for us IE The end of the West Lothian question in the UK parliament.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    I agree with the OP. The rest of the UK is in an incredibly strong bargaining position over an independent Scotland. Our leaders would represent us, not the Scots, and should therefore get yhe best possible outcome for us. The SNP would hate it but thats their self made problem.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'In the event of a YES vote: England/Wales/NI must be ruthless'

TBH, in the event of a NO vote, we should be equally ruthless.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also the scottish MP's should not be allowed into the debate on the UK's side of the settlement
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'In the event of a YES vote: England/Wales/NI must be ruthless'

TBH, in the event of a NO vote, we should be equally ruthless.

Yes i think so too.

They would have had their say and must live with it.

I get Piss-d offf with scottish MPs in the UK parliament voting on things that affect us but not them.>:(>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    I agree with the OP. The rest of the UK is in an incredibly strong bargaining position over an independent Scotland. Our leaders would represent us, not the Scots, and should therefore get yhe best possible outcome for us. The SNP would hate it but thats their self made problem.

If Labour or a Lab/Lib coalition win power at the next election they'll give them anything they want in an effort to win Scottish Labour and Lib Dem parties' seats in the new Scottish parliament.

The Conservatives won't give them anything as they have no chance up there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    pope_tart wrote: »

If they become independent, I would wish them all the best and hope my country does all it can to help them get off to an exciting and fresh new start.

Just as I hope they would help and support us when we in Wales get our independence :)

Wales clearly could not afford to be independent, yet there will be people who would vote for this irrespective of it being flushed down the toilet, much of it borne from voting with a sense of patriotism and not giving any thought to the financial implications.

This is the danger for Scotland as those who just vote yes to get rid of the English who they blame for everything that has gone wrong in their lives will suddenly find they are no better off. Salmond will continue to blame Westminster, but sooner or later, most people will see through his veneer and realise he has sold them a pup.
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    This reeks of the petty politics of the Tories and the divide and conquer mentality. I may disagree with the panic measures of offering more devolution but that has to go ahead now. You cannot offer that prior to a vote and then back out. But what we should be looking for is more devolved powers and federalisation then across the rest of the UK rather than sitting there and getting jealous of what the Scots have.

And if a yes vote occurs it is in both sides interests to cooperate. It will cost us enough to split anyway so trying to save money makes sense. The only reason to play hardball with Scotland is if they try to do that in the negotiations over who gets what.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwould wrote: »
    This reeks of the petty politics of the Tories and the divide and conquer mentality. I may disagree with the panic measures of offering more devolution but that has to go ahead now. You cannot offer that prior to a vote and then back out. But what we should be looking for is more devolved powers and federalisation then across the rest of the UK rather than sitting there and getting jealous of what the Scots have.

And if a yes vote occurs it is in both sides interests to cooperate. It will cost us enough to split anyway so trying to save money makes sense. The only reason to play hardball with Scotland is if they try to do that in the negotiations over who gets what.

Probably in the end,its just that Tony Blairs botched devolution attempt that annoys me about the scots issue,but thats not entirely their fault apart from a few scottish Labour MPs up there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pope_tart wrote: »

Its just the right wingers moaning and some English folk who hate the idea of the Scotland leaving this shithole behind to moan amongst ourselves.

I fully support the Scottish whatever they choose and I`ll respect their choice either way. Though If I was in their position today I would be voting yes.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Exactly- If I was in charge, I would give them nothing and let them start from scratch

That would be rather silly, as they are clearly entitled to their fair share of UK assets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    That would be rather silly, as they are clearly entitled to their fair share of UK debts.

Surely some mistake.:D:D
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    That would be rather silly, as they are clearly entitled to their fair share of UK assets.

They are also entitled to their fair share of UK debts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surely some mistake.:D:D

Please don't edit the posts of others. It's very naughty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the UK is firm but fair. The Scot Nationalists approach to all this has put all our backs up, but we need to try to do what's right.

I also hope they get into the EU as quickly as possible. As then we know the EU can take care of them, rather than us.

Even though I am hoping they will get in the EU quickly, I can see this taking a number of years. Unfortunately. Still, I remain in hope that I am wrong about this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    They are also entitled to their fair share of UK debts.

Indeed. That wasn't the point at issue though.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

Yes i think so too.

They would have had their say and must live with it.

I get Piss-d offf with scottish MPs in the UK parliament voting on things that affect us but not them.>:(>:(

And - what have you done about it?

Have you contacted the London Headquarters of Labour, Conservative and Lib-Dem parties....................................................because they're the ones calling the shots - they're the ones using their Scottish based MPs in votes on English matters.
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are entitled to nothing. If they vote yes, they decide to leave the UK. At best they should get eight percent which is equivalent to their share of the UK population. Anyway Salmond has already said that the debt is the Uk debt, not Scotland's.

I hope to God the UK politicians stand firm and remember they hold all of the cards in this.

If it is a No vote I hope that devo max gets voted down. The Scots have spent too much time insulting the rest of us in the Uk to expect any special treatment.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    They are entitled to nothing. If they vote yes, they decide to leave the UK. At best they should get eight percent which is equivalent to their share of the UK population. Anyway Salmond has already said that the debt is the Uk debt, not Scotland's.

I hope to God the UK politicians on both sides stand firm and remember they hold all of the cards in this.

If it is a No vote I hope that devo max gets voted down. The Scots have spent too much time insulting the rest of us in the Uk to expect any special treatment.

Bitter wee person..........................much?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »

I hope to God the UK politicians on both sides stand firm and remember they hold all of the cards in this.

Absolutely agree.

I shall be writing to my English MP to ask him to vote against it.