• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will we see any tonight?
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Bubbles101 wrote: »
    Will we see any tonight?

The peak is past now - but yes there will still be some about for the next few nights - far fewer in numbers and frequency than last night - but still possible to see anything from a faint streak, up to a spectacular 'fireball'
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    Carlos, did you see a number of meteors travelling North - South, well away from Perseus? I've seen a number over the past two evenings. I believe they were the North Delta Aquarids? One, which went through the Square of Pegasus top to bottom, was the brightest meteor I've ever seen :)
    Forum Member
    Yes - saw a few Delta Aquarids last night.
    One actually passed through my field of view while viewing the Perseus double cluster through a telescope.
    Faint-ish even through the scope (so it wouldn't have been naked-eye visible) - heading pretty much North.
    Saw a couple by naked-eye passing below Pegasus and Andromed - and one went across the South, towards SW, through Aquila and into the top end of Ophiuchus.

On a side-note...
    One thing that was a 'first' for me last night.
    I manged to manually track the ISS through my telescope (just loosened the clutches and moved it by hand) - Needed to use a lowish magnification in order to line up on it - so it was still quite small in the eyepiece - but was still able to see some detail to it. The two bigggest solar panels stood out best - and actually, as it faded and passed into the Earth's shadow, it glared less in the scope and I was able to see most detail just before it totally faded out. :cool:
    Great bit of tracking - though I say so myself :p
    Six of us tried - two of us managed to successfully track it. :D
    Forum Member
    afcbfan wrote: »
    Carlos, did you see a number of meteors travelling North - South, well away from Perseus? I've seen a number over the past two evenings. I believe they were the North Delta Aquarids? One, which went through the Square of Pegasus top to bottom, was the brightest meteor I've ever seen :)

Actually - if you saw any heading TOWARDS the South - they will have been Perseids.
    Shower meteors aren't seen AT the radiant - they travel AWAY from the radiant - and can be way over the other side of the sky

Delta Aquarids radiant was to the South-East - slowly heading across the South as the night went on.
    So any Delta Aquarids going across the Eastern part of the sky (Pegasus area) would be heading pretty-much North - away from Delta aquarius
    Take a look at this pic
    Typical Perseid tracks are in yellow - typical Delta Aquarids in green.
    http://i16.tinypic.com/6ch4l75.jpg
    As you can see - anything going down through the square of Peg is gona be a Perseid - Delta Aquarids would head up through Pegasus
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    Take a look at this pic
    Typical Perseid tracks are in yellow - typical Delta Aquarids in green.
    http://i16.tinypic.com/6ch4l75.jpg
    As you can see - anything going down through the square of Peg is gona be a Perseid - Delta Aquarids would head up through Pegasus

Thanks for that. I saw a few more Perseids than I thought I did, then :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well i sat watching for over 2 hrs and saw just under 20. However one i saw was like a fireball, it was huge compared to the others, a big ball of light leaving a tail behind and it went slower than the other which if you blinked i could of missed them! Spectacular it was !