Tesco Lightbulbs

Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
Forum Member
Their 'own-brand', that is.....

Cheap carp :(

Bought some maybe 9 months ago (various types) and so far have used about 6 in total - 3 of which have packed-in this week (3rd one this morning)
Nothing unusual in that - BUT.....
Every one of the three - the glass 'bulb' was loose from the metal bayonet cap. One of them even came completely off, and I had to remove the metal cap (complete with filament amd it's little glass and metal mount) out of the light-fitting with pliers.
And it's not simply a bad batch - these were 3 different types of bulb, a standard round 'pearl', a standard round clear, and a clear 'candle' bulb.
I've checked the others that were still working, and two of the three had loose glass bulbs :eek:
It can't be just bad luck that 5 out of 6 have gone the same way - this is obviously a common problem. :(

All in the bin now, and have been out to buy another brand.

Comments

• fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried the Tesco variety for our halogen lights (GU10?), anyway, they blew with frightening regularity (and not that cheap either at £10 for 3) so I changed to GE ones which have so far lasted much longer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried the Tesco variety for our halogen lights (GU10?), anyway, they blew with frightening regularity (and not that cheap either at £10 for 3) so I changed to GE ones which have so far lasted much longer.

My wife got some of those from asda.
    They all blew within a very short time in spite of it saying that they would last for 1200 hours on the box.

She took back the six bulbs and asda didn't even query it.
    They said that loads of people had complained about them.

They were still selling them though.
  • LilaLila Posts: 6,780
    Forum Member
    I've got a 16p(I think) one dangling up above my head. You've made me paranoid now. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,973
    Forum Member
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    Their 'own-brand', that is.....

Cheap carp :(

Bought some maybe 9 months ago (various types) and so far have used about 6 in total - 3 of which have packed-in this week (3rd one this morning)
    Nothing unusual in that - BUT.....
    Every one of the three - the glass 'bulb' was loose from the metal bayonet cap. One of them even came completely off, and I had to remove the metal cap (complete with filament amd it's little glass and metal mount) out of the light-fitting with pliers.
    And it's not simply a bad batch - these were 3 different types of bulb, a standard round 'pearl', a standard round clear, and a clear 'candle' bulb.
    I've checked the others that were still working, and two of the three had loose glass bulbs :eek:
    It can't be just bad luck that 5 out of 6 have gone the same way - this is obviously a common problem. :(

All in the bin now, and have been out to buy another brand.

what has the price of fish got to do with it :confused: