Anybody here use Visionary 2 on Xbox?

gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
Forum Member
Have been looking at this, but all the videos I look at on YouTube etc. show an image bouncing in and out all the time.Is this just on the game preview/select screens and the actual in-game display is without this?

Comments

• gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vision is based on XBMC basically it's a dashboard to launch emulators etc Visonary is like an emulator a sorta best of pack with games included
    the skins of which you speak are only visable on the gamelist screen they disappear after you launch a game to play it
    I dont use Vision personally but if you use google you'll soon find the offical dev site for Vision/CoinOPS
    but be warned alot of weird rules on that forum
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I use a modded Xbox and XBMC front-end, I personally think the long discontinued Slate theme is the best and always has been, it's professional looking and very neat, if you find the right scripts and get a menu music plug-in with milkdrop visuals in the background it can look really cool.

I don't use Vision or Coin-ops since they are memory hogs and dedicates a huge amount of HDD space simply for a fancy looking front end with video preview footage for every game (which runs into the thousands so you can imagine how much space that takes up alone). A lot of the games featured are not emulated to my personal standards of satisfaction, with some PS1/Arcade/N64 games that just shouldn't be there and plenty of games that should, but aren't.

I'd much rather just use high-res icons and run the emulators independently from XMBC, that way you have much more control over the config for each game including video filters and controller options. There's some nice emulator themes too, a lot of XPorts emu's as standard look a bit crap so I understand why people wanted to create fancy front end but it's all a little too much for my tastes, it's overkill. I find Hyperspin skins to be just perfect and they do the job in making each emulator look professional but also help to give them some personality too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah im the same i only use CoinOPS for best of arcades really. like you i have seperate emulators for consoles
    Im sure you know another developer has picked up the sources for alot of the ole Xport console emus and has made some huge improvements
    with them for example i use a certain PSX emu and it plays games coinops cant plus lots of em also play better
    Forum Member
    gamez-fan wrote: »
    Yeah im the same i only use CoinOPS for best of arcades really. like you i have seperate emulators for consoles
    Im sure you know another developer has picked up the sources for alot of the ole Xport console emus and has made some huge improvements
    with them for example i use a certain PSX emu and it plays games coinops cant plus lots of em also play better

Yeah I am aware if the updates to the XPort emulators by Madmab and the Resurrection Xtras packs but tbh again I find they generally don't improve upon the emulator code (such as the sound glitch in ViceX 64 so I'm stuck using V7) and focus primarily on fancy looking front ends and plastering their name all over it. The box art and movies are quite cool if you're into that but it's mostly based on Project Mayhem III which is a theme I don't use. I just like to keep things simple but I do keep the emulators updated.

I use MamedOX for general arcade emulation as I find it has the best overall comparability and FBA Legends for Neo Geo, Toaplan, CPS 1/2, Cave, Sega that sort of stuff, FBA has always been amazing on Xbox, love the overclock feature too. I use it with a Saturn controller it's arcade heaven! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use MamedOX for general arcade emulation as I find it has the best overall comparability and FBA Legends for Neo Geo, Toaplan, CPS 1/2, Cave, Sega that sort of stuff, FBA has always been amazing on Xbox, love the overclock feature too. I use it with a Saturn controller it's arcade heaven! :)

A wise choice sir i used to use MameDOX myself good solid arcade emu with good compatability but it's missing some really cool
    arcade games that only work in later versions of Mamedox which im sure you know are called CoinOPS
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Well I had delivery of the Xbox today, in retro heaven at the minute, some very old memories coming back!
    Forum Member
    A wise choice sir i used to use MameDOX myself good solid arcade emu with good compatability but it's missing some really cool
    arcade games that only work in later versions of Mamedox which im sure you know are called CoinOPS

I recall I did use CoinOPS at one point mainly to play Osman but still found overall performance and compatibility better on older version of MamedOX so I just stuck with that.

Do you use the Wii for emulation at all? If so what are your thoughts?
    gamercraig wrote: »
    Well I had delivery of the Xbox today, in retro heaven at the minute, some very old memories coming back!

Nice! You just can't beat a modded Xbox. It's games aren't too shabby either :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recall I did use CoinOPS at one point mainly to play Osman but still found overall performance and compatibility better on older version of MamedOX so I just stuck with that.

Hmm Coinops uses the same mame84 engine as Mamedox performance and compatability should really be the same
    Do you use the Wii for emulation at all? If so what are your thoughts?

Never owned a Wii so cant really give any thoughts about it
    Forum Member
    Hmm Coinops uses the same mame84 engine as Mamedox performance and compatability should really be the same

I confused myself lol. I'm actually running a much older revision v0.71 but using a MamedOX theme as it looks better so that would explain why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I confused myself lol. I'm actually running a much older revision v0.71 but using a MamedOX theme as it looks better so that would explain why.

No worries :) Did you know CoinOPS has 4 arcade cores under one launcher leaving out FBL you get
    mamexb6 mame72 mame84 the benefits of this are some games perform better control better and you get the troublesome
    midway games NBA Jam Rampage world Tour Mortal kombats Narc etc with sound

Anyway ive promoted CoinOPS enough on this board now reason being anyone who runs an older version of mame
    i think should really update to a newer set benefits far outweigh the negs
    Forum Member
    That is pretty cool feature and I've tried it out but I'm happier with what I have cheers. :)