Nexus 5 details leaked

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    Yes, some people can. Some people wont want to nor have the skillset to do so. Also to flash another ROM will more than likely invalidate your warranty.

Which can be reversed anyway with no traces so it's a non issue.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, some people can. Some people wont want to nor have the skillset to do so. Also to flash another ROM will more than likely invalidate your warranty.

Indeed but it certainly makes it less of a problem for those who want a true Android experience.

I for one wont by an N5 if its over £300, for me £259 and £299 seem like the logical price points. Making it £60 more than the N4 for the 16GB edition.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Client side yes server side no.

and it could of course stop working whilst flashed.

it is a long way from a non issue.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »

Which could be a problem if your phone wont boot up. I had rooted my S3 and was running a custom rom. Then one day, my phone failed to boot up (around 6 months into my contract). There was noway I could 'un-root' it. Luckily, when vodafone repaired it, they had to replace the circuit board. So I dont think they realised it was rooted.
    Gormond wrote: »
    Indeed but it certainly makes it less of a problem for those who want a true Android experience.

I for one wont by an N5 if its over £300, for me £259 and £299 seem like the logical price points. Making it £60 more than the N4 for the 16GB edition.

True if you are willing to root and put on a custom rom, then things like bloatware and manufacturer skins wont really bother you that much.

Dont get me wrong, I want the N5 to be as cheap as possible. The point I was making, even at a price point of £75-100 more than what jabbamk1 quoted, it would still be worth it (when you look at prices of other similar specced phones).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont get me wrong, I want the N5 to be as cheap as possible. The point I was making, even at a price point of £75-100 more than what jabbamk1 quoted, it would still be worth it (when you look at prices of other similar specced phones).

Yeah but is it worth such a big increase over the N4s current price point?
    Forum Member
    Yeah but is it worth such a big increase over the N4s current price point?

Thats the mistake some people are making. The N4 was very cheap. Hence people are judging the price of the N5 to the N4 prices. If the N4 was £75 more, it would still have been good value for money. Would it have sold as many? Probably not, but it would still have sold loads. It would still have been a cheap phone.

Google have 'spoilt' us with the cheap price of the N4, so we now expect a cheap N5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats the mistake some people are making. The N4 was very cheap. Hence people are judging the price of the N5 to the N4 prices. If the N4 was £75 more, it would still have been good value for money. Would it have sold as many? Probably not, but it would still have sold loads. It would still have been a cheap phone.

Google have 'spoilt' us with the cheap price of the N4, so we now expect a cheap N5.

You could be right but the fact that they are still making a profit shows how overpriced phones have become.

I think Google would be silly to suddenly up the price of the latest N4/5 as although a good device it does have shortcoming compared to the competition such as smaller battery, no SD card slot, no removable battery, mono speakers, mediocre camera...

The other thing is you can really compare it to the retail price of other phones as they are really made to be sold with a contract and not SIM free like the Nexus range.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    What do you mean 'toy' camera?

Just a figure of speech a mobile phone camera seems like a toy compared to a dedicated high end digital camera.
  • charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barcajaden wrote: »
    does anybody get the nexus on a contract?

Ive got it on a contract. unlimited texts, 600mins, 500gb data + 250gb wifi, £21 per month
    Forum Member
    charger21 wrote: »
    Ive got it on a contract. unlimited texts, 600mins, 500gb data + 250gb wifi, £21 per month

I think you mean 500MB of data not 500GB :D
    You could be right but the fact that they are still making a profit shows how overpriced phones have become.

I think Google would be silly to suddenly up the price of the latest N4/5 as although a good device it does have shortcoming compared to the competition such as smaller battery, no SD card slot, no removable battery, mono speakers, mediocre camera...

The other thing is you can really compare it to the retail price of other phones as they are really made to be sold with a contract and not SIM free like the Nexus range.

Yep, some companies are making a killing from phone sales. If the consumer is willing to pay those prices, then they will continue to do so.

I would agree that Google would be silly to up the price by a lot. Although a small increase £20ish may occur.

As I am sure you are aware you can buy other phones sim-free. The main difference here is that google profit model is different from the other manufacturers. Others make money from selling the phone. Google make its money from advertising (and a small amount from selling the phone). Thus they can sell the phone, at cost, and then make money from the advertising that the person will see on the phone. This is a revenue stream not open to the other manufacturers like Samsung, LG, HTC etc. Not sure why I am telling you this, as I am sure you are well aware of this. :D
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a reputed tip that'll the Nexus 5 will start off at $299.

That's the same price as the Nexus 4 8Gb originally sold for, but the Nexus 5 is supposed to have 16Gb at that price.

The tip goes on to say that the pricier models will have increased battery capacity in addition to increased storage.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't you just flash it with the ROM from the google experience S4 thats sold in the USA?

No, I couldn't. I don't have sufficient technical knowledge to fix it if it goes wrong. I know plenty of people who do, but I just don't want to go down that route, especially as there's already a device that has what I need.
  • charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you mean 500MB of data not 500GB :D

Oops, yip mb of course.
    Forum Member
    Esot-eric wrote: »

That's the same price as the Nexus 4 8Gb originally sold for, but the Nexus 5 is supposed to have 16Gb at that price.

The tip goes on to say that the pricier models will have increased battery capacity in addition to increased storage.

So the 32GB 3000mAh version would be $400 which is £249 when you add VAT makes 300 alans.

Interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Esot-eric wrote: »

Both models have already went through the FCC and are identical except the storage so I'm calling this BS.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    If it has uprated battery compared to the N5 16Gb version (I'm sceptical of this BTW) then the price may break through the £300 barrier. Would be great if they could get it to market at £300 though (especially as used N4 16GB are going for around £200 on ebay at the moment). If the battery is not uprated I'm going for £279, same as the 16gb N4 when it was launched.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which could be a problem if your phone wont boot up. I had rooted my S3 and was running a custom rom. Then one day, my phone failed to boot up (around 6 months into my contract). There was noway I could 'un-root' it. Luckily, when vodafone repaired it, they had to replace the circuit board. So I dont think they realised it was rooted.

True if you are willing to root and put on a custom rom, then things like bloatware and manufacturer skins wont really bother you that much.

I broke the screen on a phone a couple of years ago. It was running a custom rom and this would have been very obvious when I sent it back to Tesco. So I microwaved the git and fried it good and proper. I eventually ended up with a new phone. I was very pleased with myself over that outcome considering I was at fault.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Well no, the Galaxy S4 is under £400 at the moment.

I think you're wrong there, it's still high-end and hasn't reached that status. If you check the usual online retailers the S4 sim-free isn't anywhere near under £400.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I think you're wrong there, it's still high-end and hasn't reached that status. If you check the usual online retailers the S4 sim-free isn't anywhere near under £400.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00BULAUWG/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1381267124&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+galaxy+s4&condition=new
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Problem there is that they're all from 3rd party sellers I've never heard of .
    I would be a bit hesitant giving such an amount to one of those .

Mind you I don't know much about these things :o. :D
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    I broke the screen on a phone a couple of years ago. It was running a custom rom and this would have been very obvious when I sent it back to Tesco. So I microwaved the git and fried it good and proper. I eventually ended up with a new phone. I was very pleased with myself over that outcome considering I was at fault.
    Surely if you broke the screen, you'd be paying for the repair anyway (it's not covered under warranty) so it doesn't matter if it's rooted or not. Either way I don't really get how you "ended up with a new phone" - accidental damage insurance? In which case just breaking the phone's screen would have been enough. Unless you manage to find some hidden clause saying that damage caused by microwaves is covered under warranty, I really don't see what you achieved other than running the risk of damaging your microwave.

I had an issue on a GalNex a while back where it basically charged slower and slower and slower (it got to the stage where even an 8 hour overnight charge would only increase the battery % by 50%, then 40%, then worse). I initially thought software issue so I did a factory reset and then even flashed a custom ROM - I'm not sure why anymore to be honest as in hindsight it was obviously a hardware issue. Anyway long story short it eventually wouldn't charge and I couldn't restore the original ROM or relock the bootloader, so I just sent it off to Samsung for repair as it was hoping they wouldn't notice. They either didn't notice or they didn't care, because it came back repaired and with no repair fee, so I do question how "void" your warranty becomes when you root or flash a ROM. That said, I don't want to find out the hard way...
    Forum Member

Just looking at the cheapest seller there. Dispatches in 1-3 weeks, no feed back at all, from Germany.
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    Problem there is that they're all from 3rd party sellers I've never heard of .
    I would be a bit hesitant giving such an amount to one of those .

Mind you I don't know much about these things :o. :D
    Just looking at the cheapest seller there. Dispatches in 1-3 weeks, no feed back at all, from Germany.

There is one seller at £399 with 98% feedback.

Amazon themselves fulfil it for £405.

So it's not "nowhere near £400". Amazon and other retailers have it for £400 and under.

I thought you guys would be smart and scroll down a bit rather than look at the obviously fake seller. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    There is one seller at £399 with 98% feedback.

Amazon themselves fulfil it for £405.

So it's not "nowhere near £400". Amazon and other retailers have it for £400 and under.

I thought you guys would be smart and scroll down a bit rather than look at the obviously fake seller. :rolleyes:

You said it was under 400.

You were asked to support that. You have not.
    Forum Member
    You said it was under 400.

You were asked to support that. You have not.

Since when was £399 not under £400... :confused: