Wireless/cordless headphones for use with TV

2»

Comments

• rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vivaroman wrote: »
    please be aware there is a very slight chance that like dect phones these pieces of kit or any wireless equipment can cause interferance with the sky box

Whilst that is true, it should not happen if

a. The equipment is CE Marked (implying that it meets all relevant European Directives: in this case the EMC Directive)

b. The installation is correctly carried out to ensure proper double screening of L Band feeds and to ensure good quality leads are used for AV purposes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rai uno wrote: »
    Whilst that is true, it should not happen if

a. The equipment is CE Marked (implying that it meets all relevant European Directives: in this case the EMC Directive)

I have to correct you there - much as I hate to disagree. ;)

A DECT phone system is designed to transmit at a frequency in the range 1897-1914MHz and a mobile phone base station can typically operate at 1800MHz.

This is by design and has nothing to do with out-of-band signals which might be precluded by the EMC regulations.

A satellite receiver happens to be designed to accept LNB signals in the range 950 to 2150MHz, so you can see that there is an overlap for the devices when both are operating normally and within specification. One is a transmitter and one is a receiver and they are simply doing their jobs.

So there is ALWAYS a risk of a fully-approved phone interfering with a fully working satellite TV receiver if the two are too close and, especially, if the LNB cable or connections are not properly shielded. One thing in particular to look out for is the use of a wall socket (for the LNB connection) which is not fully shielded, as this is certain to act as a receiving aerial for the phone signals.

Just for the record, Blutooth (in the UK and USA) operates between 2400 and 2483.5 MHz. (It's slightly different in France, Japan and Spain).
    http://www.mobileinfo.com/Bluetooth/air_&_band.htm

In theory, this is too high to interfere with universal LNB signals.

(There, I knew my university degree would come in handy one day!)
  • rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can be so assertive when sober :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but my brain hurts. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    I use one of these

http://www.connevans.co.uk/store/viewProduct.do?id=3787

It comes with adaptors to plug it in to the headphone socket, phono sockets or Scart socket. If all else fails you can tape a microphone to the speaker.

This version is for hearing aid users with a telecoil. There is also a version with earbuds for non hearing aid users.

http://www.connevans.co.uk/store/viewProduct.do;jsessionid=44D656FF0A7C164CA3134A15B6D54845?id=1334513

These two versions are radio. They work through walls and I can hear the TV anywhere in the house or garden. There are cheaper infra red versions that only work in line of sight.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    I know it's no use now, but one pair of Philips IR cordless headphones I had;
    The transmitter has both RCA stereo and 3.5mm sockets on the back;
    The set came with a single cable - 3.5mm jack to 2xRCA;
    So it could connect AMP RCA socket to Tx jack, at line level;
    Or source headphone out to Tx RCA in at variable level.

A simple scart-RCA adapter block would provide line-out for a suitable IR Tx.

Our 15" IDTV (quite a common rebadge model) has independant controlled speakers and headphone jack, the RF cordless headphones aren't affected by the speaker volume setting.