Do albums matter anymore?

2»

Comments

• Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ben_122 wrote: »
    Gareth from Los Campesinos was talking the other day about the final stages of their new record taking so long because they wanted to arrange the songs in an order which meant people would listen to the record the whole way through, the way it was meant to be listened to.

That's why AC/DC refuse to allow iTunes and the others sell their tracks online. They have always said they release albums, not isolated tracks, and the tracks are in the order they are because that is how the band wanted them to be.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Albums are far more relevant than singles, as the charts demonstrate.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    I thought it was singles that didn't matter anymore.
  • MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    O.Michel wrote: »
    I'm so glad somebody else is annoyed by that.However, I've kind of come to terms with people calling themselves big fans without listening to the albums, because the industry is so multi-dimensional that they do indeed contribute to their 'favorite' artist's success.For example, a little hype at blogs can do wonders for an artist and also some of the 'fans' that don't listen to the album may actually go to see the artist on tour.An album costs 10$ while a ticket could cost from 50-250$.So, those 'fans' do play their part in the artist's success.

Yeah good point and I agree there are different ways you can support an artists. Just with this guy he's never been to a concert and I've never known him to buy anyones album or single before lol.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaspanic! wrote: »
    With the digital era people seem to pick off the tracks they like instead of buying an album. It's much harder to sell albums now and I find that concerning.

thoughts?
    The times are long gone when labels and artists could get away with having a few good songs and a load of filler. Nowadays you can listen to a whole album on the internet before you decide to buy it. Hard core fans will buy the album but casual fans are more likely to buy just the songs that have instant appeal.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have albums and yes I think they're still important.

However I am definitely more of a "single track" person.
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course albums still matter.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see the point that the digital era does obscure peoples views of an album. For instance, you can get consumers who listen to a song or see a video on MTV and just download the track without a care for researching the album. However, it is important for the artist to create a quality album in order to define their quality of work.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    Yes.

I would much rather have a physical copy than a digital copy.
  • myscrapbook2011myscrapbook2011 Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Physical over Digital
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently all new Ford cars now have iPod docks rather than CD slots and you get the CD slot as an extra! :confused: :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I think albums are almost more important for the artist than the listener nowadays, they're less release formats but more stages of development and in some cases milestones of achievement. Just my humble opinion anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they do matter a lot, I think the problem at the moment is there isn't enough crackdown and monitoring of illegal downloading. Surely there must be some legislation they could introduce?
  • MikeyDLuffyMikeyDLuffy Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Albums do still matter, some people prefer to be able to hold the album in their hands so they can take it around with them without having to buy an expensive iPod/MP3 (CD players are cheaper by far).
    The real problem is that iTunes makes it so easy for people to be lazy.

That's just not true.
  • 1TrueNorth1TrueNorth Posts: 4,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the digital era people seem to pick off the tracks they like instead of buying an album. It's much harder to sell albums now and I find that concerning.

thoughts?

The real problem is that the mainstream media have wrote off real music. There needs to be rock metal revolution in this country.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1TrueNorth wrote: »
    The real problem is that the mainstream media have wrote off real music. There needs to be rock metal revolution in this country.
    Or real music got too far up their own arse and isolated the mainstream media. Everything works both ways!
  • BatmanLaBatmanBatmanLaBatman Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do albums matter anymore?

thoughts?

I find it interesting whenever this is suggested, seeing as less than a decade ago it was the death of the single that was being hailed and albums were seen as the future of music.

As for picking off tracks that I like, I tend to do that with artists who occasionally produce the odd song I may like but with artists I like I want the whole album and it's always cheaper to buy the album than the songs individually.
  • SummerShudderSummerShudder Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Physical over Digital

Who says you can't listen to an album digitally?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1TrueNorth wrote: »

No we don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they still do but singles are just as important now with new ways of purchasing music. I still buy albums of my favourite singers but not that many tho.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always feel it is better to buy albums that are considered 'classics' because it is a more worth while experience and you feel that you have brought into a piece of art.