Options

Why do people get so defensive about artists?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some artists that actually encourage this kind of defensiveness on their fans' part. Some artists get very upset about negative reviews of their work and take it personally and encourage their fans to be the same way and attack anyone who criticizes that artist's work. So some of it is encouraged by the artists themselves to get their fans to be more dedicated to them as a kind of promotion strategy. Some artists' fans are much more defensive than others depending on how the artist deals with criticism.
    Also, I think fans of artists who are criticized a lot by the media are more defensive than fans of artists who are more widely acclaimed in reviews etc. They feel everyone is against their favourite artist.

As far as the term eras, I think it has a meaningful use with certain artists who have a different sound and look for each album. But I think it can be overused and doesn't really apply to other artists who basically always have the same sound and look with every release.
  • Options
    SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me, people take it personally because they feel that its a put down to who they themselves are because they are the fans of whoever is being trashed.

God bless you always!!! :):):)

Holly

P.S. Normally I am pretty laid back in this area. The only time that I say something is when I feel that unfair things have been said by another person.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    embryo wrote: »
    I think to an extent it's just that music is such a personal thing. If you have a strong personal/emotional connection to a song/album/artist and someone starts slagging them off, I suppose to some people it can feel like a personal attack. Also, I think people will always want to defend what they like, and there's always the chance that something you say might get the other person to relisten to the music and change their minds.

nail on head.... its the emotional investment people have made to their artist.