Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    I was at school during the 70s/80s, and from your list we had

A gym
    All weather football pitch
    Rugby pitches
    Music room
    Recording studio (integrated into the music room)

Just the two different dining rooms though.
    I was at School from 1955-1964 and we had.....errrm...

None of those! :(
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I was at School from 1955-1964 and we had.....errrm...

None of those! :(

:D

We had most of those when I was in secondary school (2000-2005).

The only thing we didn't have in that sense was a proper recording studio. We had two rooms in the music dept, separated by a big window - one of the rooms had microphones, the other had a computer and a crude mixing desk.

It wasn't the sort of thing that would have brought joy to any serious audiophile or music artist though. I'm pretty sure acoustically speaking, the rooms just weren't designed for that use.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    hazydayz wrote: »
    They used owls to deliver them.

Did you go to Hogwarts?
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    :D

We had most of those when I was in secondary school (2000-2005).

The only thing we didn't have in that sense was a proper recording studio. We had two rooms in the music dept, separated by a big window - one of the rooms had microphones, the other had a computer and a crude mixing desk.

It wasn't the sort of thing that would have brought joy to any serious audiophile or music artist though. I'm pretty sure acoustically speaking, the rooms just weren't designed for that use.
    Computers hadn't even been invented when i was at School!
    Even Calculators were unheard of! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The school is very American in my eyes even down to having a principal instead of a head."

And you calling it a High School?

The school I went to after primary was call (insert town) high school. So what else would you call it?
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The school I went to after primary was call (insert town) high school. So what else would you call it?

As was mine, [Insert Town] High School of Secondary Education, and the college after that was Newcastle-under-Lyme College of Tertiary Education.
  • MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly had no idea that we used the term High School in the Uk. I had not heard it before.

I had no idea we used anything other than high school! Have never heard of the word secondary being in the actual school title except with the word 'modern' after it and secondary moderns ended a long time before I was born.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it is a high school. Apparently hoping to get academy status next year.

Doesn't that mean it's a failing school?
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly had no idea that we used the term High School in the Uk. I had not heard it before.
    IIRC, the term "high school" originates from Scotland, not from the USA. The secondary schools in this part of Scotland are named either 'Academy' or 'High School', and it's been that way for decades.
    In my day many of our classrooms would double up for other things such as English and re, the science, geography and history . We had 1 hall which was a PE hall, dining room and assembly.
    When was that? When I was at secondary school in the 1980s (in a school built in the 1960s), every classroom had a unique function, and every subject had an entire dept with multiple rooms. There was a dedicated assembly hall, separate male & female gym halls, a dining room, and IIRC, 3 music rooms. Sadly, I think the fenced tarmac area at the front of the school that was used for football & other games, is now an extended teacher car park. They've always had access to local fields for sport though.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    We have a high school near us - up on a hill .
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My school was so small in comparison, we had rugby and football pitches but that was pretty much it. We had maybe 400-600 pupils and that's it. It amazes me how different schools are now
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    The title of a secondary school depends on the original local authority and is nothing more than a name. I began teaching in a secondary modern school in 1974 and it was called a high school. The girls' grammar school in the same town was/is also called a high school.

It's a bit like designer labelling and means nothing. There are academies which are outstanding and some which are failing-the name is simply that, a name, unless it's a grammar school.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    I went to school in western Northern Ireland. All we had was a bible and a potato to play with.

Works for here too :D
  • sy278sy278 Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember that roller/stencil machine - was it called a Gestetner or something like that? I just loved the smell of the ink. I think letters to parents were typed out onto a template and run through the Gestetner (I'm talking late 60's early 70's).

And ...........although my school was known as D
    High School - we all referred to it as secondary school.

The Gestetner in my Schools (Primary and Secondary) were referred to as 'Banda' machines.

In Glasgow and surrounding area we have a mix of Secondary schools, High Schools, Grammar Schools and Academys.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I went to secondary school from 1990-1995 and we had

A drama theatre with lighting and sound rigs
    A drama studio with lighting rig
    2 music rooms with recording studios
    All weather multi-sports pitches
    Classrooms that were for a specific subject rather than just generic classrooms.

That kind of stuff isn't that rare, even back then.
    We even had connectivity to the WWW in my last 2 years there.
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really do loathe the replacing of head teachers with principals. What is the point of that? Why do academies like that kind of rebranding?
  • incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »

Not any more. Academies are funded differently, nothing to do with success rates. One of our local schools recently converted to academy status, it was and still is rated outstanding - ofsted reports before and after conversion both said so.

I went to a high school back in the early nineties. It had been a high school as long as I can remember, even from starting school in the early eighties I was aware that it was First, Middle and High School. Different parts of the country seem to do it differently, it's not an Americanisation. Where I live now have the two tier system but they're Primary and High Schools.
    Forum Member
    I really do loathe the replacing of head teachers with principals. What is the point of that? Why do academies like that kind of rebranding?

Because head teachers usually don't teach anymore! ;-)

You might well ask why do many schools now have a business manager?
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because head teachers usually don't teach anymore! ;-)

You might well ask why do many schools now have a business manager?

But a business manager is just that. A headteacher is someone who has a great deal of experience in teaching and has taken over a school. Unless that kind of experience is now deemed unnecessary.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    My daughter's school has made a yearbook the last couple years. They were nicely put together. I'm hoping she doesn't lose her's because they will be interesting for her to look through years from now. This is an American import that I would have liked when I was in school.
    Forum Member
    But a business manager is just that. A headteacher is someone who has a great deal of experience in teaching and has taken over a school. Unless that kind of experience is now deemed unnecessary.

Hmmmm!! Now then, should I tow the line or tell the truth?

Truth has it!

Teaching experience is of little value when you are part of a business. The 'head' nowadays is as likely to be able to interpret a spreadsheet as the prospectus from a university. (I'm in secondary education so I can't really comment on primary as I don't know how they run!)

I'll give you a little example of how things are changing. Four years ago, I retired (hollow laughter) after 37 years. I was replaced by a training to be qualified teacher. Last month she took up a new post as an assistant headteacher!! She will have completed only 2 years full time teaching as she had 2 years of reduced timetable while she completed her training. Now she will have an even more reduced teaching timetable.

The vast majority of present day heads are of the training and then promotion ladder, but the writing is on the wall!!
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »

I don't think so, I understood it to mean that they don't have to apply for funding etc if they are an academy, I may be misunderstood what the principal was saying but he deffinatly said they would be more self sufficient once the changes are made. He was also saying they had something like 95% A to C grades last year.
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We call it High School in Scotland. I left in 1982 and my school (since demolished) had an indoor swimming pool, tennis courts and canoes.