Windows 10 on raspberry pi

2»

Comments

• Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Access to the Pi will be via your main Windows 8 or Windows 10 PC of course.

Using Telnet, since Windows doesn't ship with SSH. :D
  • Options
    PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will probably be the most pointless OS available for the Pi. Without any x86 emulation (which of course would be excruciatingly painful on the Pi) you're stuck with the modern/metro apps and they're mostly crap!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Esot-eric wrote: »

Is Telnet even still around?! :D
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will probably be the most pointless OS available for the Pi. Without any x86 emulation (which of course would be excruciatingly painful on the Pi) you're stuck with the modern/metro apps and they're mostly crap!

But you can develop and sideload your own apps. That's the point of the little thing. And getting an experience with Visual Studio won't be lost should somebody pursue a career as a software developer.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

I use Putty on Windows for ssh support for my Pis
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    But you can develop and sideload your own apps. That's the point of the little thing. And getting an experience with Visual Studio won't be lost should somebody pursue a career as a software developer.

But it does rather lose its point if there isn't actually a real Windows GUI on the Pi for the end-user. The developer might as well use the conventional Pi approach (Python etc.)
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    But it does rather lose its point if there isn't actually a real Windows GUI on the Pi for the end-user. The developer might as well use the conventional Pi approach (Python etc.)

There will be UI, there is no mysterious command line version of Windows, there are no tools to develop native ARM applications. It will be a version very similar to that for a phone with universal apps, which have GUI.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyond the marketing speak are you saying you will be able to load the one full standalone Metro compiled app per time onto the Pi ?

e.g. Angry Birds
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    I use Putty on Windows for ssh support for my Pis

Pis running *nix. Windows doesn't doesn't have an integrated SSH server.

I really don't see the appeal of running Windows on a Pi (well, i don't see the appeal of running Windows anywhere, but even less so on a Pi). It's a non-GUI, extremely limited version of Windows that offers no benefits over the existing rich Linux ecosystem.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really don't see the appeal of running Windows on a Pi (well, i don't see the appeal of running Windows anywhere, but even less so on a Pi). It's a non-GUI, extremely limited version of Windows that offers no benefits over the existing rich Linux ecosystem.

Non-GUI implies text/command line interface. The "Metro" interface is not command line ...

Anyway, the best OS to run on the Pi is what it was spritually supposed to - which is Risc OS. The original OS for the ARM processor (and still probably one of the best implementations of a desktop interface) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes, fair comment