Options

Ever bought a different brand of food because it was cheaper and it was vile?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought 2 packs of bacon for £3 as I thought it was a bargain. I do not especially like bacon but my husband does, it was vile, stringy, chewy, tasteless and weird texture. Ended up in the dog. If you see anything and think it is too good to be true, it usually is.
Somethings are cheaper but inedible, but some cheaper brands are not so bad. Sainsbury tomatoe juice is very nice.

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really I have bought cheaper things and then wondered why I didn't do it sooner as they were as good or better than the brand I was buying. Tesco value tomato ketchup 19p as good or better than stuff a pound dearer.
  • Options
    FlickJFlickJ Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Mayo !! - Hellmans is the best bar none. Heinz is OK but anything other than those brands tastes vile and has a strange "fishy" taste to me.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Yes, well not me. Mrs Bleads bought some cash n carry red wine vinegar when I was going through my chutney stage because a great big vat was the same price as my supermarket bottle.

I might as well have used Sarsons malt. It ruined three jars of tomato chutney.
  • Options
    metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supermarket own brand baked beans- never again. It's Heinz or none for me.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    metanoia wrote: »
    Yonks ago, I too thought I'd chance own brand baked beans to save money - NEVER AGAIN, although I have now switched from Heinz to Branstons....
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chicken, bacon and sausages.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Yonks ago, I too thought I'd chance own brand baked beans to save money - NEVER AGAIN, although I have now switched from Heinz to Branstons....

Only Heinz for me (full salt and sugar). Branston are watery and need faffing with to make edible (worcester sauce, pepper etc)
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Lidl's version of Irn Bru. Its nigh on undrinkable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASDA own brand gravy granules, lumpy and tasted awful. Maybe I made it wrong but it was definitely worse than Bisto. I'm not fussy though, I've never noticed a difference between brand and own brand products.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Pepperamis - Supermarket pepperoni sticks
    Herta frankfurters - supermarket/other brands
    Space Raiders - Supermarket pickled onion flavour snacks

Not vile but not as good as the branded
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Cheap coffee is a no no, same with tea and hot choc! Kenco, tetleys and Cadbury all the way!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only Heinz for me (full salt and sugar). Branston are watery and need faffing with to make edible (worcester sauce, pepper etc)

Tesco everyday value are lovely baked beans best I ever had.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Tesco everyday value are lovely baked beans best I ever had.

I've tried ASDA, Co-Op and Tesco value beans and I've never been able to tell the difference between them, or Heinz!
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I've tried ASDA, Co-Op and Tesco value beans and I've never been able to tell the difference between them, or Heinz!

The amount and thickness of the sauce
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Pepperamis - Supermarket pepperoni sticks

I agree with this. I bought ASDA's own brand "salami snacks" and they were quite fatty and also had congealed white stuff on the outside of them. Like when you cook meat and leave the juices in the tray and it turns to white fatty lard stuff. Not nice.

I also find supermarket own-brand crisps to be quite disappointing. I don't eat crisps very often so I now prefer to spend a bit extra and buy a brand name than buy a multipack of cheaper crisps that sit in the cupboard for ages because no-one wants to eat them. Cheap Cheese & Onion is the worst. Barely tastes of anything.

I happily buy own-brand cereal, chopped tomatoes, beans (can't stand Heinz) and other tinned goods. And I always buy value-range cleaning products. However, I won't scrimp on teabags (it has to be Yorkshire Tea or nothing!), minced beef (I find the cheap stuff really fatty), yogurts (Muller), and Coca-Cola.
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coke has to be the brand name for me, really don't like the taste of others.
    Bread has to be roberts, or hovis. Shops own make just seems soggy to me.
    Also cereal can't be the basics stuff, especially cornflakes. Sainsburies home brand (not the basics) is ok but shops like aldi- their cornflakes are just cardboardy, and the texture make me want to spit them out..

And I know its not food but toothpaste has to be colgate total, or blue aquafresh. Others just taste horrible or don't seem to clean my teeth properly. Also washing up liquid has to be fairy, it the only product that keeps bubbles and greese off the items.

Other than that almost everything else I will happily but shops own brand, I really can't taste the difference in most stuff.
    Most people have to budjet sadly, but I can't budget on those product
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amount and thickness of the sauce

Heinz I find too thick and stodgy much prefer a lighter sauce that could be why we have different opinions I guess.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phepia wrote: »
    Coke has to be the brand name for me, really don't like the taste of others.
    Bread has to be roberts, or hovis. Shops own make just seems soggy to me.

Agree with Coke, got to be Coke or Pepsi.

We used to buy Tesco bread and I thought it tasted OK but then suddenly a couple of years ago it started going hard and/or mouldy really quickly. Switched to Hovis and it lasts loads longer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a small glass of tesco value coke last night it was quite nice but I am not a usual coke drinker think last glass I had was about 6 years ago.

Morrisons baked by us 49p a loaf is nice bread. And I cannot make it myself cheaper than that.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Heinz beans are too pricey for me now so I buy cheap beans but snazzy them up with paprika and other spices.

Can't replace my coke or pepsi though. Tried a cheaper supermarket brand and it tasted like one of those cola ice pops you buy. Bleh.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... Branston are watery and need faffing with to make edible (worcester sauce, pepper etc)
    No they aren't/don't.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    FlickJ wrote: »
    Mayo !! - Hellmans is the best bar none. Heinz is OK but anything other than those brands tastes vile and has a strange "fishy" taste to me.

I am quite particular about my mayo, Hellmans is the best shop bought mayo for me also :)

Only other things I have a brand thing for are tea and coffee. I don't like supermarket own or value tea and coffee.

Beans, tomatoes, etc, other tinned items, I'll get the cheapest lol, I mainly use them in stews and curries anyway :)
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with others about supermarket baked beans they are vile!

Cheap bacon is also pretty tank
  • Options
    opal88opal88 Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waitrose Essentials baked beans and their Essentials mayonnaise are better than any big name brands I've ever tried.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm quite happy to try the Basics/Value/Essentials ranges of stuff and generally find them perfectly fine

One exception was Basics cheddar cheese at sainsbury which was just like a lump of rubber............:eek:

I've tried all the baked beans but I keep going back to heinz