Options

Are Take That miming?

HermanazoHermanazo Posts: 2,304
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not such a hard song to sing, but still sounded pre-recorded. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They had to focus on dancing too.
  • Options
    lkherelkhere Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say yes IMO
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Common. My granny could have done those steps after two cups of eggnog. Fleur they are not!
  • Options
    CMcKinleyCMcKinley Posts: 3,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    They had to focus on dancing too.

Exactly, all those complicated moves.
  • Options
    amanda daisyamanda daisy Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Are you actually serious? Take That have done way more complicated routines and still sang live.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it was definitely live because they took it down a key to make it easier to sing, like they did with The Flood, Greatest Day etc. There was some pre-recorded backing vocals on the track though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    They were pretty clearly miming, I'd say.
  • Options
    Kenneth_ChowKenneth_Chow Posts: 3,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come every week there is a thread about some guest miming. .???..what's next week. ..Ella Henderson miming... Lol...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two words; John Legend. That's why.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hermanazo wrote: »
    Two words; John Legend. That's why.

You do know there's a reason Take That have so many awards for best live act, don't you? What would have been the need for them to mime, when Gary has said over the past couple of days how excited he was to perform the song live? Besides, they did it 2 nights ago at a private concert and it was most definitely live and sounding great.

And what does John Legend have to do with Take That? I think you're confusing Take That with Cheryl.
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Are Take That miming?"

They don't even pay their taxes!!! - Yes I said it. #Tour4Tax #Music4Schmucks
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How come every week there is a thread about some guest miming. .???..what's next week. ..Ella Henderson miming... Lol...

She was never much good during the contest, so...
  • Options
    robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen Take That on TV and live on numerous occasions and I am sure they have never mimed. Why would they start tonight? They certainly sang live on tonight's X Factor.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robot wrote: »
    I have seen Take That on TV and live on numerous occasions and I am sure they have never mimed. Why would they start tonight? They certainly sang live on tonight's X Factor.

They didn't sing live. Gary was seen tapping his mic with his hands during the performance, and none of that was audible on the sound output.

And when Dermot interviewed them afterwards, they used his mic to talk, probably because their mics weren't switched on, or the volume was set very low on purpose.

I thought the performance was awkward, and the lack of live vocals made it feel very flat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    They didn't sing live. Gary was seen tapping his mic with his hands during the performance, and none of that was audible on the sound output.

And when Dermot interviewed them afterwards, they used his mic to talk, probably because their mics weren't switched on, or the volume was set very low on purpose.

I thought the performance was awkward, and the lack of live vocals made it feel very flat.
    I watched the performance back and Gary didn't once tap his mic.
    The performance was pre-recorded minutes before XF began for technical reasons, but it was very much live.
    Right after the performance, when Dermot said "they still have those moves" and Gary replied, he used his own mic, which kinda contradicts the basis of your theory.
    Again, we return to the cause: WHY would Take That need to mime?

The music was too loud, though, and you can see Gary at the beginning making signs for the mics to be turned up.
  • Options
    Winchester LadyWinchester Lady Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know whether they were miming but I quite liked them in their heyday but they seemed very outdated tonight.
  • Options
    Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either miming or singly softly to a loud backing track
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What we heard was not live vocals. Asking why they would mine is irrelevant. They did mime, or at least had their mica so low that they may as well have been.

But to answer why would they mime? Because they're a pop act to promote their new song, and doing it live would likely sound very different to the real track. Artists used to always mine early performances of new songs.
  • Options
    Kenneth_ChowKenneth_Chow Posts: 3,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was never much good during the contest, so...

Well...thats subjective... I don't see why she would mime with the song she's gonna sing...
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the performance back and Gary didn't once tap his mic.
    The performance was pre-recorded minutes before XF began for technical reasons, but it was very much live.
    Live mics and speaking mics sound differently, that's why they used Dermot's mic.
    Again, we return to the cause: WHY would Take That need to mime?

Clearly you didn't watch it back properly. When he's singing "I can see the future..." he's using his other hand to clap, tapping the mic in the process.

In normal conditions, this would have made more than enough vibration to affect the audio output, but there was zero change in the vocals.

As for "live mics" and "speaking mics" sounding differently, I highly doubt that's the case in this instance. And in any case, it didn't stop Rihanna using her own mic to talk during this performance for example. (In fact she claps with her mic, just like Gary did, but low and behold, her mic made some noise).

The vocals were pre-recorded at best, but I think it was just a straight lip-sync to studio vocals. Quite shameful really given all the effort Gary made to make sure everyone noticed his "credentials".

They probably mimed because they are past it and couldn't handle moving and singing at the same time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Clearly you didn't watch it back properly. When he's singing "I can see the future..." he's using his other hand to clap, tapping the mic in the process.

In normal conditions, this would have made more than enough vibration to affect the audio output, but there was zero change in the vocals.

As for "live mics" and "speaking mics" sounding differently, I highly doubt that's the case in this instance. And in any case, it didn't stop Rihanna using her own mic to talk during this performance for example. (In fact she claps with her mic, just like Gary did, but low and behold, her mic made some noise).

The vocals were pre-recorded at best, but I think it was just a straight lip-sync to studio vocals. Quite shameful really given all the effort Gary made to make sure everyone noticed his "credentials".

They probably mimed because they are past it and couldn't handle moving and singing at the same time.

Gary clapped his hands, but didn't touch the mic. He knows how to use mics and how to cover them - there's a whole technical article about his skills in this matter in a specialized magazine.
    Second of all, Gary did use his own mic to answer to Dermot right after the performance.
    And last of all: are you for real? Gary has just ended an acclaimed solo tour, where he moved around the stage, danced and sang for over 2 hours each night, sometimes more nights in a row. This routine was just the boys having a bit of fun and not taking themselves too seriously. Those movements don't pose any problem for Take That's singing. They've done really demanding choreographies on their tours; they're not exactly Lauren to be afraid of moving their legs.
    I'm sorry, but to me, this sounds like looking for a reason to pick on them just for the sake of diversity.
    Maybe you should listen to the studio version more carefully. The other poster was right. They took it down a key for this performance and, although it sounded very good, it wasn't the same as the studio one.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was 100% pre-recorded - I saw the performance on facebook before X Factor had started this evening, was taken on a mobile and there where lots of audience pics too popping all over the TT fb groups. They got the audience in, did the pre-record. TT left, some met Mark Owen and then the show went out live. I've also seen pictures of the audience watching the TT performance back on the big screen in the studios as it was going out on tv with Louis and Mel sat watching it and the two other chairs empty.

As for whether they where miming during the pre-record .. It looked and sounded like they did mime on top of a track.. but I don't know for sure. They can definitely sing live and do it so well, just dont think they did it tonight for this track.