Conservatives dropping European referendum pledge?

RS11RS11 Posts: 219
Forum Member
Just read some election propoganda from my local Conservative MP and not a mention of it.. or immigration.

Comments

• MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conservatives dropping European referendum pledge?

wouldnt surprise me in the slightest
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully they do. More votes for Farage. (I can't stand the man or his policies but want Cameron the coward to get a bloody nose).
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be an issue for me if they did. I want an end to the EU debate once and for all.
  • RS11RS11 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    If they do drop it, it won't be until after the election that they tell us. I just wondered whether they were laying the ground..
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tories are funded by big business, and they don't want us out of Europe.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    RS11 wrote: »
    Just read some election propoganda from my local Conservative MP and not a mention of it.. or immigration.

Well the lack of immigration is no real surprise and the MP maybe pro-EU - not so sure that the lack of mention is a reflection of Conservative Party policy or the views of the MP him or her self.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    terry45 wrote: »

Bigger than that, corprates and big buisness run the country. But have no loyalty to the country or the uk workforce. Never forget what thier job is to make profit for themselves and sharholders nothing else.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a view that the UK would definitely be leaving the EU, if the public had a vote on it.

Times change, people who were in favour have changed their minds about the EU and what it would mean for the UK to leave.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    wouldnt surprise me in the slightest

Even if they get elected this May to form the government, Cameron will almost certainly seek to back out of the referendum in the same way that he's backing out of the TV debates. He's reneged on so many of his own EU promises and it's certain that he'll do so again.
  • OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Be an issue for me if they did. I want an end to the EU debate once and for all.

Me too. A 'yes' or 'no' will allow us all to move on one way or another.
  • worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oxygenated wrote: »
    Me too. A 'yes' or 'no' will allow us all to move on one way or another.

A yes or no won't happen.
    He will dress up a few little adjustments to our membership as a big deal like they have with selling of our assets to foreign own companies then telling us its a great deal for the workforce [maybe he means like Craft or Bombardier ].
    This country is now owned by foreign nationals and has long as they are making money and paying little in taxes they done care what happens to those that fall by the wayside.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he wins power in May there is no way he will get away with backing out if it. His backbenchers will not let him. Neither will the public stand for it.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    If he wins power in May there is no way he will get away with backing out if it. His backbenchers will not let him. Neither will the public stand for it.

The majority of backbenchers want to stay in the EU, he might have to contend with them in order to have even a chance of getting a referendum bill through, then it has to get through the Lords. The only way he can be certain is to get an overwhelming majority and a three line whip....or he will have to invoke the Parliament Act.

The man is a two-bit twister who's going nowhere with a referendum and nowhere with trying to get substantial changes with the EU
  • mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member

Labour is funded by the unions
    What do the unions want?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    The majority of backbenchers want to stay in the EU, he might have to contend with them in order to have even a chance of getting a referendum bill through, then it has to get through the Lords. The only way he can be certain is to get an overwhelming majority and a three line whip....or he will have to invoke the Parliament Act.

The man is a two-bit twister who's going nowhere with a referendum and nowhere with trying to get substantial changes with the EU

I realize that he will get nowhere with substantial changes. I'd have thought you'd have known I am a Eurosceptic by now!! I just don't believe he'd be able to get away without giving us a referendum. And it's up to UKIP and other Eurosceptic MP's from all parties to tell the public the truth when Cameron comes back from Brussels and bs' us that he's renegotiated anything.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wont back out of an EU referendum, it's too much of a hot potato within his own party. He will obviously campaign against it, just as he did with the Scottish referendum.

Most people in business don't want out, but it will be down to the people to decide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    I realize that he will get nowhere with substantial changes. I'd have thought you'd have known I am a Eurosceptic by now!! I just don't believe he'd be able to get away without giving us a referendum. And it's up to UKIP and other Eurosceptic MP's from all parties to tell the public the truth when Cameron comes back from Brussels and bs' us that he's renegotiated anything.

I know you're a eurosceptic.;-) but I still think he'll struggle to get a bill through Parliament. If that happened, I think he would shy away from invoking the Pasliament Act, blaming instead all those who voted against, such is the nature of the man.
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt anybody has printed election leaflets yet.
    Forum Member
    Jilly wrote: »
    I doubt anybody has printed election leaflets yet.

We've had some from our local Lib Dem candidate
    But something as important as this should be clearly spelled out in the party manifesto.
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mungobrush wrote: »
    We've had some from our local Lib Dem candidate
    But something as important as this should be clearly spelled out in the party manifesto.

They actually say to vote Lib Dem at the General Election.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He wont back out of an EU referendum, it's too much of a hot potato within his own party. He will obviously campaign against it, just as he did with the Scottish referendum.

Most people in business don't want out, but it will be down to the people to decide.

It's unlikely the people will decide unless it's an "out" vote and the terms of the referendum is that it's legally binding. If, as is almost certain, it is a non-binding "out" vote and he tries to legistale to get us out he'll be up against the same problem as getting a referendum bill passed. He knows all this and will be praying for a hung parliament that will have the effect of keeping us in.
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member

This. Cameron will find a way to wriggle out of it just like he's trying to with the TV debates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    It's unlikely the people will decide unless it's an "out" vote and the terms of the referendum is that it's legally binding. If, as is almost certain, it is a non-binding "out" vote and he tries to legistale to get us out he'll be up against the same problem as getting a referendum bill passed. He knows all this and will be praying for a hung parliament that will have the effect of keeping us in.

If he does that we'll get a referendum eventually. The people want it. Someone will have to give it at some point.
    Forum Member
    Jilly wrote: »
    They actually say to vote Lib Dem at the General Election.

Half of it was devoted to extolling the benefits that the LibDems have brought to the coalition
    The other half was devoted to trashing Labour
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would seriously dent the Tories' chances of being the largest party in the election, if true.