What isit with UK and concert curfews.

Comments

• uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    Thing is, I don't think the MDNA Tour is low on early hits at all. If anything we get more than we did on previous tours. It's just that some people seem to expect The Immaculate Collection everytime she does a new tour; it's not going to happen (at least not until she does a greatest hits tour) as she's promoting a new album.

And back on topic, I do agree that artists should be out on time to finish before the curfew without cutting out songs or being cut off halfway through. I've watched the two cut songs on YT now, but I was disappointed not to witness them live myself. I think something needs to give in the UK. Either slack the rules a little bit so that artists can actually perform as they wish to or stop stadium/outdoor venue shows altogether. It's ridiculous to have a sound limit to the point where audience members struggle to hear certain segments of the show (I speak from experience) and if an artist is almost at the end of their set when the curfew falls in (I think Madonna would have finished exactly at 11 if she hadn't cut the two songs) then just let them finish. Either the Government and local councils want the extra boost these concerts give or they don't. They can't have it both ways.

but you miss the point that it's not what you think, it's what the majority of the people in the audience think. you have to give the majority of paying punters what they want if you want to keep on getting big tour offers from promoters. if you want to play for the "fans" you need to find more suitable means to do so

if she had cut the newer songs and played the older songs instead to suit the curfew, perhaps there would have been less complaints. you can still play to a curfew and keep the punters happy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    designer84 wrote: »
    I think there would be plenty of people that work the same hours as me... Or near enough to it... Plus you can book a day off if the concert is far enough in the future. There are ways around these things. The longest I ever queued was 7 hours for Kylie's aphrodite tour. My ex made me do it. We got to the front and it was amazing but I swore I'd never queue that long again. I got to the front for several Scissor sisters gigs, Blondie, Pink, Lifehouse and I got there at 6.30. A long time after many were there... Elbows are a great thing sometimes.

Obviously I put standing seats by accident... I know there is no such thing and it makes no sense.
    You've queued from 8am to 2am for front row? I'd flat out refuse to do that. lol... That's just extreme.
    I've also been at the very back at the O2 and it's awful. I am sure our stadiums are just as bad as American ones for concerts. I did The Millennium stadium for Madonna's Sticky and Sweet Tour and we were on the side and we were MILES away from her, despite being "near" the stage.

whilst there might be "plenty" of people who will take a day off and do the things you mention, not everyone can do that or wants to do that. it's supposed to be entertainment and fun. lining up all day from early in the morning isn't really fun. half the folk who do that all day end up stinking by the end of the day. promoters and artists need to put on shows to suit the paying punter, not the other way around. if tickets are costing £80 a pop, people need to work to afford them

our stadiums aren't well suited for concerts, but the american ones are much bigger. even inside venues can be bigger than some of our outdoor ones. they are huge. and being indoors they don't have the same curfew problems as the sound doesn't travel to nearby residents, and that is one main concern for residents that the laws aim to curb, the other is the disruption in the local area, so people aren't wandering about all night and traffic issues aren't prolonged
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tonypennys wrote: »
    Ever wondered why Quo have been so successful for 44 years ?

many times. i know a guy who is a big quo fan. but to say he had a few screws loose would be an understatement. he literally tours with the band when they tour the uk, even staying in the same hotels as them sometimes, and gets invites to drink etc with the band. his musical taste doesn't stretch any further than that band, so if he is representative of the audience, it explains a lot

if i ever saw quo live i would hope for a 9 minute curfew. i couldn't bear to hear more than 3 songs that sound the same in a row. 9pm start, 9.09pm finish
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    whilst there might be "plenty" of people who will take a day off and do the things you mention, not everyone can do that or wants to do that. it's supposed to be entertainment and fun. lining up all day from early in the morning isn't really fun. half the folk who do that all day end up stinking by the end of the day. promoters and artists need to put on shows to suit the paying punter, not the other way around. if tickets are costing £80 a pop, people need to work to afford them

our stadiums aren't well suited for concerts, but the american ones are much bigger. even inside venues can be bigger than some of our outdoor ones. they are huge. and being indoors they don't have the same curfew problems as the sound doesn't travel to nearby residents, and that is one main concern for residents that the laws aim to curb, the other is the disruption in the local area, so people aren't wandering about all night and traffic issues aren't prolonged

But that's what I am saying! By moving/changing times, it suits more people. Rather than have it start at 9pm on a week day and end by 11, causing a mad dash to get home at a respectable hour, start them a little earlier. I don't queue all day but with some concerts I have learnt how dedicated the fans are. Madonna/Kylie fans will queue for up to and over 12 hours to make sure they get to the front.
    Scissor Sisters I have seen 6 times and I know I can be there 2 hours before doors open to guarantee the very front. I refuse to wait too long though. Where I can I get seats near the stage as my feet kill by the end of the day.

Any stadiums are poor for concerts because they are TOO big and you end up being miles away. That's why I refused to pay for Gaga at Twickenham because unless you are standing and near the front, she will be a dot on stage. I didn't see Madonna's MDNA tour because having been to Hyde Park, I know the sound can be bad. Unless you are gold circle, you are quite a distance from the stage. Sound is fine in Gold circle but the price for those tickets was ridiculous. it was also mid week which meant I wouldn't get there until 6.30 and I had seen pictures on twitter at 4pm showing hundreds of people already there.

If the concert actually started at 8pm in these venues then there would be less noise late at night, less heavy traffic, people would get home at a decent time. What is wrong with taking a days holiday? That's what they are for. The odd day here and there is fine. If I want time off I have to give at least a month so someone can be brought in to cover me. I've never had to use a day for a concert yet though... I do know plenty of people who have or have taken half days
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waldstein wrote: »
    As I have never had a problem with curfews before, I can only speak in terms of my experience at Hyde Park for Bruce Springsteen, an experience I was extremely disappointed with in all honesty.

Firstly, I completely understand the disturbances a concert creates for residents and in terms of Hyde Park, I know that Wireless, Stock Aitken and Waterman (although it was cancelled), Hard Rock Calling and Madonna all taking place in the space of two weeks is a big demand for residents. However, surely the above is a case of putting a tighter limit on the number of shows that can be licensed. I know Croke Park in Dublin has a strict limit enforced by the GAA as the grounds is a Gaelic sports stadium. Still, Croke Park is in a residential area and I've been at shows there until 11PM. The same goes for the RDS in Dublin which is in a more affluent area and where Springsteen played, midweek I might add, until 11PM. I remember being at concerts in Landsdowne Road (now the Aviva Stadium) and the residents of the square near the entrance used to gather and have parties/BBQ's on concert days and would generally soak up the atmosphere of the crowd on their way in and out of the stadium. That's not to say they weren't inconvenienced at times, I'm sure they were, but perhaps they accepted that they were living in proximity to a concert/sports venue and made the most of it.

Also to those who mentioned Madison Square Garden, it is subject to NYC laws of an 11PM curfew. There is a couple of minutes grace after 11PM but interestingly for MSG, the crews there are unionized so once it goes past, say 11.05PM, all of these workers have to be paid another hour's wages. That's not to say artists don't ever break the curfew, they do. Neil Young is famous for going well over curfew.

With the Springsteen/Hyde Park show, it was a real struggle to hear the music to the extent that people were shouting, "turn the music up" and "we can't hear you". Even when entering the venue, I couldn't hear the music until well inside the park. Given this, and I know that noise pollution is subject to factors such as wind direction etc., I wonder if the concert was audible to residents at all to be honest when you factor in traffic noise, etc. I think that if concert-goers are struggling to hear the music, then the suitability of the venue is questionable. I'm not exaggerating when I say that people's conversations were drowning out the music.

In terms of shutting the PA off, as someone who's worked at major concerts and been an attendee, I've never ever experienced this happening before and given that it has been reported worldwide I think it's quite embarrassing for Live Nation and the local council. They could've let them finish the song and say 'goodnight ' at least. The common thread of all of the venues mentioned above is an 11PM curfew, so I cannot understand why a Saturday night concert in the middle of London has to end by 10.15PM (although Springsteen wasn't shut off until almost 10.50PM) and again such a curfew brings the suitability of Hyde Park as a concert venue into question in my opinion.

I understand what you're saying here and of course artists should be more responsible but more often than not, artists are late on stage for reasons beyond their control. Generally, a touring artist wants to be out of a venue and moving onto the next city as early as possible and not having to pay a hefty fine for breaking curfew. Springsteen is obviously notorious for breaking curfews but the Hyde Park show was a festival and seemed to be running late all day, which is why (I'm guessing) he was late on stage. Indeed, he was clearly flouting the curfew laws at Hyde Park but I suppose that he knows his fans are expecting a 3+ hour show also (not an excuse but it is a factor to consider).

I know it's a complicated debate but with Springsteen, I think the whole thing could've been handled better by Live Nation. It's certainly the last time I'll willingly attend a concert in Hyde Park.

I've never thought Hyde Park was a suitable concert venue
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that's what I am saying! By moving/changing times, it suits more people. Rather than have it start at 9pm on a week day and end by 11, causing a mad dash to get home at a respectable hour, start them a little earlier. I don't queue all day but with some concerts I have learnt how dedicated the fans are. Madonna/Kylie fans will queue for up to and over 12 hours to make sure they get to the front.
    Scissor Sisters I have seen 6 times and I know I can be there 2 hours before doors open to guarantee the very front. I refuse to wait too long though. Where I can I get seats near the stage as my feet kill by the end of the day.

Any stadiums are poor for concerts because they are TOO big and you end up being miles away. That's why I refused to pay for Gaga at Twickenham because unless you are standing and near the front, she will be a dot on stage. I didn't see Madonna's MDNA tour because having been to Hyde Park, I know the sound can be bad. Unless you are gold circle, you are quite a distance from the stage. Sound is fine in Gold circle but the price for those tickets was ridiculous. it was also mid week which meant I wouldn't get there until 6.30 and I had seen pictures on twitter at 4pm showing hundreds of people already there.

If the concert actually started at 8pm in these venues then there would be less noise late at night, less heavy traffic, people would get home at a decent time. What is wrong with taking a days holiday? That's what they are for. The odd day here and there is fine. If I want time off I have to give at least a month so someone can be brought in to cover me. I've never had to use a day for a concert yet though... I do know plenty of people who have or have taken half days

---i know what you are saying, but i'm not saying to change the times at all. the times have been like that for decades and it suits most people or the times would have been changed. not everyone wants to take a holiday from work to attend a concert and spend all day waiting about the venue or have nothing to do during the day so the rest of the day is a waste. or you might get the day off and the people going to the gig with you can't--stadiums aren't my personal choice for gigs, i prefer small club gigs, but not all bands are crap in stadiums and outdoor gigs. some artists like pink floyd, muse, radiohead, rem, oasis, etc thrive on big gigs with huge crowds and atmosphere. a pink floyd or roger waters gig is best experienced from far back to take in the show fully. it's really just your pop acts like madonna and gaga and kylie that don't know how to put on a large gig like that and connect with the audience with the music alone. the last time i saw the scissor sisters was in a small venue that they specifically played as a break in playing arenas, and i just stood at the back at the mixing desk and have a great view and great sound. the first time i saw them i was front row at a festival and also had a great view and great sound. similarly i've been to small gigs with crap sound. it just depends on the artist and how things are set up. some artists are suited to big gigs and can pull it off, others simply aren't. but blaming a bad show on a curfew is a poor excuse. my experience of seeing madonna at hyde park was terrible. i would have been better off watching it on the telly, and could have louder sound at home. on the other hand seeing the who play hyde park demonstrated that you could pull it off. aside from the curfew issues, you didn't see people complaining that springsteens hyde park gig was crap
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I've never thought Hyde Park was a suitable concert venue

no. if i didn't get free tickets or it was going to be the most amazing show on earth, i wouldn't go there again. even with free tickets i'd have to have a think about it. on a nice sunny day to relax at the back and you are a casual fan you might have a nice time with friends, but not in the usual gig going way. it's just a nightmare getting in and out too. and if you don't leave early it takes hours to get out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ---i know what you are saying, but i'm not saying to change the times at all. the times have been like that for decades and it suits most people or the times would have been changed. not everyone wants to take a holiday from work to attend a concert and spend all day waiting about the venue or have nothing to do during the day so the rest of the day is a waste. or you might get the day off and the people going to the gig with you can't--stadiums aren't my personal choice for gigs, i prefer small club gigs, but not all bands are crap in stadiums and outdoor gigs. some artists like pink floyd, muse, radiohead, rem, oasis, etc thrive on big gigs with huge crowds and atmosphere. a pink floyd or roger waters gig is best experienced from far back to take in the show fully. it's really just your pop acts like madonna and gaga and kylie that don't know how to put on a large gig like that and connect with the audience with the music alone. the last time i saw the scissor sisters was in a small venue that they specifically played as a break in playing arenas, and i just stood at the back at the mixing desk and have a great view and great sound. the first time i saw them i was front row at a festival and also had a great view and great sound. similarly i've been to small gigs with crap sound. it just depends on the artist and how things are set up. some artists are suited to big gigs and can pull it off, others simply aren't. but blaming a bad show on a curfew is a poor excuse. my experience of seeing madonna at hyde park was terrible. i would have been better off watching it on the telly, and could have louder sound at home. on the other hand seeing the who play hyde park demonstrated that you could pull it off. aside from the curfew issues, you didn't see people complaining that springsteens hyde park gig was crap

If you take a day off, you plan ahead what to do... Maybe go out and about in London for a bit or relax, go to the gym then head to the venue at your own pace... Not sit around for hours with nothing to do. I prefer smaller venues too as it is more intimate but you can still get people there hours before hand depending on who it is. Just because the times have been that way for a long time doesn't mean its convenient for everyone... Nor does it mean they shouldn't change....
    Madonna and Kylie put on huge shows! The Aphrodite tour was amazing at the 02... They know how to put on a good show... Hyde Park was a mistake for Madonna though. She should stick to indoor venues with all the effects etc that she uses.
  • tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    many times. i know a guy who is a big quo fan. but to say he had a few screws loose would be an understatement. he literally tours with the band when they tour the uk, even staying in the same hotels as them sometimes, and gets invites to drink etc with the band. his musical taste doesn't stretch any further than that band, so if he is representative of the audience, it explains a lot

if i ever saw quo live i would hope for a 9 minute curfew. i couldn't bear to hear more than 3 songs that sound the same in a row. 9pm start, 9.09pm finish

So thats 1 person of the 36 million that have seen Quo play live ,i know many have have seen them more than once so even 15 million is not bad turnout and whats wrong with followin Quo like that ? i have done it on numerous occasions and will be doing it in 2013, nothing wrong with following a band , Quo,s records speaks for themselves and with 44 years of success why change ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you take a day off, you plan ahead what to do... Maybe go out and about in London for a bit or relax, go to the gym then head to the venue at your own pace... Not sit around for hours with nothing to do. I prefer smaller venues too as it is more intimate but you can still get people there hours before hand depending on who it is. Just because the times have been that way for a long time doesn't mean its convenient for everyone... Nor does it mean they shouldn't change....
    Madonna and Kylie put on huge shows! The Aphrodite tour was amazing at the 02... They know how to put on a good show... Hyde Park was a mistake for Madonna though. She should stick to indoor venues with all the effects etc that she uses.

but can't you just consider the simple fact that not everyone wants to do that? some people want to work to make money and pay bills and keep days off for doing better things than having to get to gigs on time

about the artists it's not a case of they haven't put on huge shows, rather than some don't know how to perform at a hue show, thus all the complaints. standing about 4 miles from the stage at hyde park whilst madonna mimes is hardly an engaging experience. or at murrayfield, the depressing steel and concrete venue built to let scotland suffer more depression in inviting other teams to beat them at sports. the curfew is the only thing that puts visitors to that place out of their misery. i can only think of about 2 gigs there that weren't a shambles that i went to, rem and oasis
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So thats 1 person of the 36 million that have seen Quo play live ,i know many have have seen them more than once so even 15 million is not bad turnout and whats wrong with followin Quo like that ? i have done it on numerous occasions and will be doing it in 2013, nothing wrong with following a band , Quo,s records speaks for themselves and with 44 years of success why change ?

what's wrong with following a band every night on tour who play the same set every night comprising of a couple of hours of songs that all sound the same?

do i sound like a psychologist? where's my argos catalogue...
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Snow Patrol have been given special permission to break the curfew on Friday night at an Olympics related concert.
    Surely this is just a cunning scheme to help everyone sleep after the excitement of the opening ceremony?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but can't you just consider the simple fact that not everyone wants to do that? some people want to work to make money and pay bills and keep days off for doing better things than having to get to gigs on time

about the artists it's not a case of they haven't put on huge shows, rather than some don't know how to perform at a hue show, thus all the complaints. standing about 4 miles from the stage at hyde park whilst madonna mimes is hardly an engaging experience. or at murrayfield, the depressing steel and concrete venue built to let scotland suffer more depression in inviting other teams to beat them at sports. the curfew is the only thing that puts visitors to that place out of their misery. i can only think of about 2 gigs there that weren't a shambles that i went to, rem and oasis

I think you are being over dramatic there. It's not the end of the world. I want to work and earn money but I have 28 days holiday a year to use and I have to give at least 1-2 months notice to take a week off. I know plenty of people who would prefer an earlier start time. I am not saying 6pm, more like 8pm would be good. I have friends who only do concerts that fall on weekends as they have o be up for work at 5am so getting home past midnight is not an option for them. An earlier start time would make it easier.

I saw Shania Twain at Hyde Park and she was amazing but at the same time, an outdoors venue cannot hold sound like The Royal Albert Hall which has great acoustics. it's also the sound system they may use.

An earlier start time would mean less chance of breaking curfew with some artists. Madonna has always been guilty of starting late.
  • tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    what's wrong with following a band every night on tour who play the same set every night comprising of a couple of hours of songs that all sound the same?

do i sound like a psychologist? where's my argos catalogue...

The fact is they dont , Simple , How does Caroline sound like Living on Island ?

U dont like Quo , millions do , you try and use the three chord thingy which i laugh at , end of
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you are being over dramatic there. It's not the end of the world. I want to work and earn money but I have 28 days holiday a year to use and I have to give at least 1-2 months notice to take a week off. I know plenty of people who would prefer an earlier start time. I am not saying 6pm, more like 8pm would be good. I have friends who only do concerts that fall on weekends as they have o be up for work at 5am so getting home past midnight is not an option for them. An earlier start time would make it easier.

I saw Shania Twain at Hyde Park and she was amazing but at the same time, an outdoors venue cannot hold sound like The Royal Albert Hall which has great acoustics. it's also the sound system they may use.

An earlier start time would mean less chance of breaking curfew with some artists. Madonna has always been guilty of starting late.

how is pointing out that not everyone is like you being dramatic?

the curfew has nothing to do with stopping artists starting earlier if they want to. it's the artists that go on late. they could go on at 7pm or 8pm as sometimes advertised, or even (shock horror), go onstage on actual time at 9pm and play a full set before the curfew
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact is they dont , Simple , How does Caroline sound like Living on Island ?

U dont like Quo , millions do , you try and use the three chord thingy which i laugh at , end of

well the 3 chord thingy is the classic joke. you surely must have heard it before? if there ever was a non comedy act that was a bigger joke than quo, i've not came across them. there is a reason why they have such a reputation
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    I see Snow Patrol have been given special permission to break the curfew on Friday night at an Olympics related concert.
    Surely this is just a cunning scheme to help everyone sleep after the excitement of the opening ceremony?

that was the first thing that sprung to mind. the only thing more boring that the olympix is snooze patrol

imagine the riots if they want to play past their extended curfew!
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that was the first thing that sprung to mind. the only thing more boring that the olympix is snooze patrol

imagine the riots if they want to play past their extended curfew!

It wouldn't be a riot more like an apathetic vegetarian zombie attack.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how is pointing out that not everyone is like you being dramatic?

the curfew has nothing to do with stopping artists starting earlier if they want to. it's the artists that go on late. they could go on at 7pm or 8pm as sometimes advertised, or even (shock horror), go onstage on actual time at 9pm and play a full set before the curfew

I still think your comment was a bit over the top... So because someone takes a day off because they are going to a concert, they don't want to work and earn money? That's pretty much what you are saying... Who is to say there aren't people who agree with me.. You are taking your opinion like it's fact. I am saying start concerts at 8pm rather than 9 and you are pretty much just saying what I am by saying some artists should start earlier to avoid the curfew... I am simply saying that to avoid ANY curfew, starting an hour earlier could avoid the problem all together. It's like you are not listening to what I am actually saying and are in some odd way fighting me but also saying pretty much what I said in the first place
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You suggest some people have better things to do than waste a day getting to gigs on time! Surely they actually WANT to go to the gig considering they forked out quite hefty sums of money in the first place and therefore, the gig day itself becomes a pretty big event for them. I always take a day off to get to gigs, AND I take the next day off too so I can get a hotel to save travelling home that night. It's more enjoyable that way. The ONLY time I haven't taken time off is when an event is at the Racecourse because it's just a ten minute walk from where I live.
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    You suggest some people have better things to do than waste a day getting to gigs on time! Surely they actually WANT to go to the gig considering they forked out quite hefty sums of money in the first place and therefore, the gig day itself becomes a pretty big event for them. I always take a day off to get to gigs, AND I take the next day off too so I can get a hotel to save travelling home that night. It's more enjoyable that way. The ONLY time I haven't taken time off is when an event is at the Racecourse because it's just a ten minute walk from where I live.

I normally take 2 days off for a big gig like Madonna.:D First day is to go early, soak up the atmosphere with my mates etc. and normally we head out to some after-party, so the next day off is to recover.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think your comment was a bit over the top... So because someone takes a day off because they are going to a concert, they don't want to work and earn money? That's pretty much what you are saying... Who is to say there aren't people who agree with me.. You are taking your opinion like it's fact. I am saying start concerts at 8pm rather than 9 and you are pretty much just saying what I am by saying some artists should start earlier to avoid the curfew... I am simply saying that to avoid ANY curfew, starting an hour earlier could avoid the problem all together. It's like you are not listening to what I am actually saying and are in some odd way fighting me but also saying pretty much what I said in the first place

--no, i'm not saying that at all. what i'm saying is that some people have their priorities in a different order to you. they put work and famiily life before going to a pop concert.--i'm not saying there aren't people like you either. there are all sorts of people with different opinions. you have to consider this as you won't get on well through life thinking everyone thinks like you.--about the curfew, it only dictates when a band has to stop. they can start any time they like. most bands play a 2 hour set so if they get onstage at 9pm they can finish for 11pm. for an outdoor or large gig it might be an idea to aim for 8.30pm start, so if 15 minutes late they can still end the show 15 mins before the curfew. but the main point is that these times of gigs starting around 9pm in the UK is long established, and there are reasons for it, many mentioned before. so just because some people can skip school, take the day off work or leave early doesn't mean everyone can or wants to. so starting earlier isn't always a good idea. however inside venues don't have so strict curfews as outdoor ones, so if you want to play later, play inside. and turn up onstage at the back of 11pm when you should have been onstage at 8pm like guns n roses
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »

---but whilst YOU may be able to do that, others can't. remember large gigs have thousands or even tens of thousands of people, all with different lives and schedules. you can't expect 60,000 people to all take the day off work to go to a pop concert do you? some people have jobs where they can't just take a day off so easily, or they have responsibilities like picking up kids or caring for people, and look forward to some entertainment from a concert as some light relief from this. or a gig can be rescheduled to a day you have to work, such as the george michael tour. so like my friends, they couldn't originally go to some dates so bought tickets for others in another city instead and booked a trip, a hotel etc as it was at the weekend, then the show is cancelled, and they can't get the money back for the hotel, and now the show they couldn't attend is on a day they could have went, but they don't have tickets as it sold out. originally i was going to go straight after work, but now all my plans are changed, so i'm glad i didn't book a day off
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a riot more like an apathetic vegetarian zombie attack.

--the apathy in the uk tour
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    --no, i'm not saying that at all. what i'm saying is that some people have their priorities in a different order to you. they put work and famiily life before going to a pop concert.--i'm not saying there aren't people like you either. there are all sorts of people with different opinions. you have to consider this as you won't get on well through life thinking everyone thinks like you.--about the curfew, it only dictates when a band has to stop. they can start any time they like. most bands play a 2 hour set so if they get onstage at 9pm they can finish for 11pm. for an outdoor or large gig it might be an idea to aim for 8.30pm start, so if 15 minutes late they can still end the show 15 mins before the curfew. but the main point is that these times of gigs starting around 9pm in the UK is long established, and there are reasons for it, many mentioned before. so just because some people can skip school, take the day off work or leave early doesn't mean everyone can or wants to. so starting earlier isn't always a good idea. however inside venues don't have so strict curfews as outdoor ones, so if you want to play later, play inside. and turn up onstage at the back of 11pm when you should have been onstage at 8pm like guns n roses

Erm you think I live for concerts? No I work hard and I pay my taxes and several times a year I go to a concert. I don't run my life around the next gig I go to. I think it's foolish to think that anyone that would take time off don't care about what they do for a living.

I find it quite insulting that you assume because I can take time off and make sure I have ample time for a concert that I don't care about family life or my career. Also considering I work for a media company and earn a decent wage I am doing just fine. Don't try and tell me I won't get far in life. I am very aware of the fact others have different opinions, I just don't see why you seem to think your view is more valid than mine.
    I don't get why you are arguing so much and why you think that a large portion of people don't take the day off. When I saw Madonna's opening night of the sticky and sweet Tour in Cardiff, the nearest place to stay the night was 40 minutes away as everywhere was booked up for the concert. I have friends with kids and I have people that work all kinds of hours but they still plan ahead with a concert when it comes to getting there and back.

Why do you think your opinion is fact. Have you asked the 60,000 people what their travel plans are for a concert?
    The theatre start times are usually 7.30pm and it works fine for them... but at the same time they have intervals and they last longer than the standard concert