Options

Powerline Network Adaptors And My Smart TV Probs

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
Forum Member
Hi DS'ers

Just recently bought three TP-Link TL-PA211 Powerline Adapters (data over mains cables)

One for Virgin Media BB; one for my D-Link 524 WiFi router and one for my Panasonic TX-L37E30B smart TV.

Here is my problem:

I can only connect to the internet over WiFi; my smart TV cannot get access for online services such iPlayer etc.
Now, if I connect my Virgin Media to my TV via the TP-link pairing system (paring works perfectly fine with the three units)
my TV's online services works perfectly but the internet over WiFi doesn't!

Someone I know reckons it could be DHCP settings in my router.

Can anyone shine some light on the matter?

Thanks

Connection flow chart:

Internet> Virgin Modem>

TP Link> TP Link> D-link 524 WiFi router
TP Link> Smart TV (all ethernet RJ45 connection)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Let's start with why three? Assuming that the Virgin set top box and the TV are next to each other, you only need two HomePlugs and a cheap Ethernet switch. (The third HomePlug is unnecessary and will cause needless congestion over your mains wiring.)

Plug one HomePlug into the router and a second into the Ethernet switch. Now plug the TV and Virgin STB into the switch. I have this setup at home and it works well.

Back your your question. Most domestic routers and downstream devices like internet TVs and STBs are set for DHCP and so unless you have monkeyed with them, they should serve/acquire IP addresses fine. Have you checked via the router and on the setup pages of the downstream boxes whether they have valid IP addresses?
  • Options
    bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need the router to be between the Virgin modem and the first powerline adaptor.

The output from the router would feed into the powerline network thus the router would assign LAN ip addresses using DHCP to every other device.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the whole point of buying three Powerline's is that I dont have to rip up floor boards to network my house!

My Virgin modem is at the front of the house, my WiFI router is in the middle and my smart TV is next door to the room with the modem. Thats why I need three!

If push comes to shove, could I use a switch in between the modem and the Powerline and run a ethernet cable from the switch around the edge of the room to the telly?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alamac wrote: »
    the whole point of buying three Powerline's is that I dont have to rip up floor boards to network my house!

My Virgin modem is at the front of the house, my WiFI router is in the middle and my smart TV is next door to the room with the modem. Thats why I need three!

If push comes to shove, could I use a switch in between the modem and the Powerline and run a ethernet cable from the switch around the edge of the room to the telly?
    I'm not sure you can get them to work in the way you have them set up.

Presumably the adapter at the router is connected to the WAN port to give you the link back to the modem? However this is the "wrong" side of the router as far as the TV is concerned. If you pair the TV adapter with either of the other two it will try to attach to the WAN side of the network which may well explain why it all goes belly skywards.

You need to attach the TV to the LAN side of the router. Unfortunately unless you have two isolated mains feeds you can't do this with another pair of Powerline adapters.

One possible solution might be to use a WiFi adapter for the telly if you can get a suitable signal where it is.

Another might be to move the router next to the modem so you use a cabled connection between the two. Then plug one Powerline adapter into a LAN port on the router. Where the router used to be install a simple switch (with or without WiFi as necessary) to connect up whatever the router was previously serving.

The use the third to connect to the telly. Now as all three Powerline adapters are on the LAN side of the network it should work properly.
  • Options
    littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, as above, it sounds like you're trying to send both the LAN and the WAN side of the router over the same powerlines network, which you cant do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I'm not sure you can get them to work in the way you have them set up.

Presumably the adapter at the router is connected to the WAN port to give you the link back to the modem? However this is the "wrong" side of the router as far as the TV is concerned. If you pair the TV adapter with either of the other two it will try to attach to the WAN side of the network which may well explain why it all goes belly skywards.

You need to attach the TV to the LAN side of the router. Unfortunately unless you have two isolated mains feeds you can't do this with another pair of Powerline adapters.

One possible solution might be to use a WiFi adapter for the telly if you can get a suitable signal where it is.

Another might be to move the router next to the modem so you use a cabled connection between the two. Then plug one Powerline adapter into a LAN port on the router. Where the router used to be install a simple switch (with or without WiFi as necessary) to connect up whatever the router was previously serving.

The use the third to connect to the telly. Now as all three Powerline adapters are on the LAN side of the network it should work properly.

Thanks for your effort, it is appreciated. I'll buy you a digital beer ;)

I cant move the WIFI router because its strategically placed for best signal throughout the house.

I have a cunning plan Lord Blackadder.

Can I place a simple four-way ethernet switch between the modem and Powerline adapter 1?

My idea is this: Ethernet Switch input comes from modem.

Socket switch 1: Goes into the Poweline adapter 1 to the Powline adapter 2 WIFI router;

Socket switch 2: run a 15M ethernet cable to the TV via edge of the room and just leave the 3rd adapter out the equation

Is this feasible?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your effort, it is appreciated. I'll buy you a digital beer ;)

I cant move the WIFI router because its strategically placed for best signal throughout the house.

I have a cunning plan Lord Blackadder.

Can I place a simple four-way ethernet switch between the modem and Powerline adapter 1?

My idea is this: Ethernet Switch input comes from modem.

Socket switch 1: Goes into the Poweline adapter 1 to the Powline adapter 2 WIFI router;

Socket switch 2: run a 15M ethernet cable to the TV via edge of the room and just leave the 3rd adapter out the equation

Is this feasible?
    No.

The problem is you are using the Powerline adapters to convey the WAN side (internet) between modem and router. Putting a switch in there won't make any difference.

The WAN side of the system most likely doesn't do DHCP, depending on the capability of the modem. So any devices you attach to the WAN side may well be getting the same IP address which screws up things.

You need a router by the modem and a switch where your router now is. That would let you use the three Powerline units as you would now have them on the LAN side of the router.

So one "master" adapter by the router and one "slave" at the switch and the other "slave" for the TV.

You can get switches with WiFi for example

www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7228APN-150Mbps-5-Port-Extender/dp/B004JV42A0

Configure it's WiFi to use the same SSID and security key as the current router and you can use both units to give you even better coverage than you get now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No.

The problem is you are using the Powerline adapters to convey the WAN side (internet) between modem and router. Putting a switch in there won't make any difference.

The WAN side of the system most likely doesn't do DHCP, depending on the capability of the modem. So any devices you attach to the WAN side may well be getting the same IP address which screws up things.

You need a router by the modem and a switch where your router now is. That would let you use the three Powerline units as you would now have them on the LAN side of the router.

So one "master" adapter by the router and one "slave" at the switch and the other "slave" for the TV.

You can get switches with WiFi for example

www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7228APN-150Mbps-5-Port-Extender/dp/B004JV42A0

Configure it's WiFi to use the same SSID and security key as the current router and you can use both units to give you even better coverage than you get now.

Excuse my colossal ignorance but are you saying use one of these routers http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG1005D-Gigabit-Unmanaged-Desktop/dp/B000N99BBC/ref=sr_1_18?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1380228290&sr=1-18&keywords=TP-Link from my modem into the line-in to the master Powline via LAN?

From the slave Powerline, can I use my existing WIFI router (click link) and third slave Powerline to TV?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-AirPlus-DI-524-Wireless-Router/dp/B000122KVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380227745&sr=8-1&keywords=d+link+524

Thanks for your efforts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excuse my colossal ignorance but are you saying use one of these routers http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG1005D-Gigabit-Unmanaged-Desktop/dp/B000N99BBC/ref=sr_1_18?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1380228290&sr=1-18&keywords=TP-Link from my modem into the line-in to the master Powline via LAN?

From the slave Powerline, can I use my existing WIFI router (click link) and third slave Powerline to TV?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-AirPlus-DI-524-Wireless-Router/dp/B000122KVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380227745&sr=8-1&keywords=d+link+524

Thanks for your efforts
    That first link is not a router it is a network switch. They are not the same thing at all and their functions are not completely interchangeable. A switch is not suitable for your set up next to the modem.

Move your existing router next to the modem. Then use something like the WiFi access point I linked to above where your router currently is. This will give you WiFi where your current router is plus four ethernet ports exactly as your current router does. (it has 5 ports but you need one for the Powerline adapter).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That first link is not a router it is a network switch. They are not the same thing at all and their functions are not completely interchangeable. A switch is not suitable for your set up next to the modem.

Move your existing router next to the modem. Then use something like the WiFi access point I linked to above where your router currently is. This will give you WiFi where your current router is plus four ethernet ports exactly as your current router does. (it has 5 ports but you need one for the Powerline adapter).

Here goes...

Okay, after a bit of research about the differences between routers and switches, I now get your point.

I am going to use my router plugged into the modem with the wireless turned off as I don't need it because I shall get this WAP http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA701ND-Wireless-Access-Point/dp/B002YETVVE/ref=sr_1_2_m?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1380231972&sr=1-2&keywords=wireless+access+point I shall plug this into my Powerline slave adapter

I hope this is right. I shall follow on with this tomorrow because I'm off to Bedfordshire :yawn: :)

Thanks again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here goes...

Okay, after a bit of research about the differences between routers and switches, I now get your point.

I am going to use my router plugged into the modem with the wireless turned off as I don't need it because I shall get this WAP http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA701ND-Wireless-Access-Point/dp/B002YETVVE/ref=sr_1_2_m?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1380231972&sr=1-2&keywords=wireless+access+point I shall plug this into my Powerline slave adapter

I hope this is right. I shall follow on with this tomorrow because I'm off to Bedfordshire :yawn: :)

Thanks again
    That access point is OK as long as you don't need any wired connections where you plug it into the Powerline adapter. The one I linked to earlier also has a built in network switch if you do need cabled connections.

Either will do the job, just depends on what you actually need at the various locations you need network access.
  • Options
    electronelectron Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    You have purchased bad technology. Power line adapters steal other peoples frequency allocations and cause interference to other radio users. You may not want to remove floorboards but polluting the spectrum for others is not the answer. Run CAT5 cables round the skirting until you next decorate and can remove floorboards. It will work better as well.

http://www.ban-plt.co.uk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/whitepaper195

Go AWAY YOU ANTI POWERLINE FAN:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    You have purchased bad technology. Power line adapters steal other peoples frequency allocations and cause interference to other radio users.

This has been discussed umpteen times and found to be nonsense. Starting with confusing two different power line technologies and then lumping them together.
  • Options
    Wolfie_SmithWolfie_Smith Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    It is not nonsence. It is a proven and very serious issue.

I use them, no problems, no serious issues :)

OP crack on and use them, they're good bits of kit, easy install and no hassle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No serious issues, but some issues then? The fact of the matter is that these things radiate interference all over the RF spectrum. If you ate not using the HF spectrum you may not notice. It is still there and could be causing issues to your neighbours.
    They are certainly not goods bits of kit. They are bad technology and some have been shown to exceed permitted radiation levels by 10 times. There are far better ways of distributing ethernet round the home.

Ok I'll clarify, NO issues at all.

Are they illegal, answer = No

So I'll keep using them, and encouraging others to do so as they solve a problem the majority of folk have.

They are good bits of kit, OP go for gigabit ones if you can.

As for my neighbours, not my problem, as I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal :D
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,458
    Forum Member
    As for my neighbours, not my problem, as I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal :D
    Maybe, maybe not. Power line adaptors are required by law to avoid certain frequencies to minimize interference. Some do, some don't, however since the manufacturers are allowed to self-certify, and Ofcom won't do anything until someone complains, there's no way of knowing if yours are legal or not until the Ofcom engineer knocks on your door :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You are f*****g selfish then if that is your attitude.

Causing interference is doing something wrong. Knowingly causing interference is illegal.

You don't know me or whether I'm selfish or not, you just interpret things the way you want, but hey don't let that get in the way of things.

It is not wrong or illegal to own or operate these devices, which by law must avoid certain frequencies. FACT

Can you please point out where I said anything about "knowingly" causing interference?

Like I said before, I'm well within my rights to own and use them, so you'll excuse me if I don't really give a flying f**k about what you think, and exercise my lawful rights to use such equipment.
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,458
    Forum Member
    I'm well within my rights to own and use them, so you'll excuse me if I don't really give a flying f**k about what you think, and exercise my lawful rights to use such equipment.
    As the user you are responsible for any interference they might cause, and taking an "I'm all right jack" attitude won't help. You'll excuse us if we don't give a flying f**k if your neighbours lodge a complaint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wibble wibble
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are f*****g selfish then if that is your attitude.

Causing interference is doing something wrong. Knowingly causing interference is illegal.

One could argue that it is YOU who is being selfish by preventing someone from using legally available (approved by OFCOM) kit in their homes, just because you are part of a TINY MONORITY who suspects that it MAY be causing interferance on your hobby.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have purchased bad technology. Power line adapters steal other peoples frequency allocations and cause interference to other radio users. You may not want to remove floorboards but polluting the spectrum for others is not the answer. Run CAT5 cables round the skirting until you next decorate and can remove floorboards. It will work better as well.

http://www.ban-plt.co.uk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/whitepaper195

Radio HAM FUD, what a load of cobblers. Im sure my homeplugs are blasting out at a million watts knackering the job up for the professional citizen banders out there and if they are good, it might knock the holier than thou tosspots down a peg or two.