Options

Brakes on car...

2»

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its best to get discs changed at the same time anyway, they dont cost much more

I changed my pads myself for £10 a few months ago.

The discs are still perfect.

How much do you pay to get your pads and discs done?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    f@ithful wrote: »
    Did the garage tell you the discs needed replacing?:rolleyes:

no they just did it anyway. but everything was pretty worn down so I'm guessing they needed replacing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its best to get discs changed at the same time anyway, they dont cost much more

umm i think not!

Disks should long outlive the life of the pads... thats just wasting money!

Also recently changed my front disks on my Toyota celica.. with some black diamonds, discount price (parts only) for the pads were only £30, while the disks cost me £160 + shipping.. so they can cost a lot more!
    I just changed the brake-pads myself. Cost about £20 for new pads. Was surprised how relatively easy it was, even for a girl like me ;)

I took the wheels off yesterday to check and indeed the pads were worn. The car only had it's service and MOT done in June, so I'm pissed off with the garage to be honest.

I'm tempted to do a mechanics course and do it all myself now, I rather enjoyed it. ;)

OMG i am in love! I am well impressed. Took me 2hours to do mine, after a lot of swearing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    aquazi wrote: »
    OMG i am in love! I am well impressed. Took me 2hours to do mine, after a lot of swearing!

:D:D:D
  • Options
    blade_922blade_922 Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine have been sqeaking for a long time. Recently while braking they were squeking even louder. I have the car booked in to the garage for tomorrow morning. Does driving the car while it squeks when braking ruin the discs? How quickly do the discs get ruined?
  • Options
    ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blade_922 wrote: »
    Mine have been sqeaking for a long time. Recently while braking they were squeking even louder. I have the car booked in to the garage for tomorrow morning. Does driving the car while it squeks when braking ruin the discs? How quickly do the discs get ruined?

Out of curiosity, does the squeaking fade away if you drive for a fair amount of time, or in other words as the brakes warm up? My brakes squeak something terrible when they're cold, I sound like a double decker bus but I'm only in a Ka!