Options

OZ CBS Action 7th April.

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,157
    Forum Member
    I'm trying to watch it to the end, but the last two weeks I've ended up switchin over after 10 minutes as the plots are simply ridiculous. What took the biscuit was the slow-motion scene of Redding running around McManus's stupid maze like a cissy. This guy's supposed to have taken out a load of hoods and cops for Christ's sake:D
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,025
    Forum Member
    Once you understand its all unbelievable and tongue in cheek :p the more watchable it is.

I have no expectation that Im watching a real life prison documentary. :D
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even at its worst though its still a fab show.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show simply gets worse by the episode
    This dreadful dog training story is pathetic

But i have come this far not to stop watching. Thankfully there is three more episodes of season 5 and then another eight of season 6.

It doesn't get much better I'm afraid. Seasons 5&6 really seemed to lose their direction.

In many ways it's a shame it wasn't cancelled at the end of Season 4 to end with Beecher's (dream) release.

That's not to say it's not worth watching, but it's nowhere near as good as the first four seasons were
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    pericom wrote: »
    Once you understand its all unbelievable and tongue in cheek :p the more watchable it is.

I have no expectation that Im watching a real life prison documentary. :D

Agreed. Up till Adebisi's death, there was at least the semblance of some reality, but since his death, the door's open for any crazy idea. Still, there is something compelling with this programme that makes one want to continue. It's still trying to make a point, raise issues, and has some very interesting characters, but it's lost its anchor to reality long ago.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    Agreed. Up till Adebisi's death, there was at least the semblance of some reality, but since his death, the door's open for any crazy idea. Still, there is something compelling with this programme that makes one want to continue. It's still trying to make a point, raise issues, and has some very interesting characters, but it's lost its anchor to reality long ago.

The Death Row fashion shoot was particularly daft.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    The Death Row fashion shoot was particularly daft.

Keller did look HOT though :blush:
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't take the absurdity of the show so i cheated and went ahead and read everything that occurs from now until the last episode. It's been a few years since I watched a show that really jumped the shark like this has. I know jumped the shark is a thrown around word used when it comes to TV shows but I never really use it unless needed.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It reminds me of the last season of Star Trek where the producers seemed to accept story ideas that would have previously been dismissed as ridiculous. I guess when you have drama stuck in one location with roughly the same characters week in week out, there's only so many times you can do the "I'm gonna shank/kill a Spic/Muslim/Dago/Ayran" storyline without running out of ideas.

The fact that Beecher is back in prison is ridiculous though. I can accept some of the other idiots ending up back in there, but Beecher?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 6 really is dire i did quite enjoy season 5 though.
    Its still a good show but series 1,2,3 and 4 part 1 are the glory years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It reminds me of the last season of Star Trek where the producers seemed to accept story ideas that would have previously been dismissed as ridiculous. I guess when you have drama stuck in one location with roughly the same characters week in week out, there's only so many times you can do the "I'm gonna shank/kill a Spic/Muslim/Dago/Ayran" storyline without running out of ideas.

The fact that Beecher is back in prison is ridiculous though. I can accept some of the other idiots ending up back in there, but Beecher?

I was disappointed but not surprised they stuck Beecher back inside. Almost no one gets paroled and those that do (like Poet) end up back in Oz very quickly.

With friends like Keller Beecher certainly doesn't need enemies.

Was Deadwood Oz's direct replacement at HBO?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed but not surprised they stuck Beecher back inside. Almost no one gets paroled and those that do (like Poet) end up back in Oz very quickly.

Well considering the general behaviour of the inmates I'm not surprised that they rarely get parole.

I thought that the episode where Cyril's brother was sent to the electric chair was quite moving, but I thought that the ending was a real cop out.
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    I thought that the episode where Cyril's brother was sent to the electric chair was quite moving,

Ryan's brother.
    but I thought that the ending was a real cop out.

Well, I was expecting him to get fried, judging from past storylines not going too well for the inmates, so rather than a cop-out it was more an about turn. They haven't shied away from killing sympathetic or interesting characters in the past. Still, only a few more eps to go, so who knows. ;)
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

With friends like Keller Beecher certainly doesn't need enemies.

Was Deadwood Oz's direct replacement at HBO?

No, I think Carnivale was
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that the scene where Ryan breaks down after saying goodbye to Cyril and is sick was hardly acted at all. The bit where he was sick was real due to all of the emotion Dean had put into the scene.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot just how weak the final season was.
    Huge shame the Quality of the storylines just collapsed and they seemed obsessed with just killing off as many people as possible.

Beecher suffered enough during the series his ending was incredibly frustrating and downright lazy writing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    Forgot just how weak the final season was.
    Huge shame the Quality of the storylines just collapsed and they seemed obsessed with just killing off as many people as possible.

Beecher suffered enough during the series his ending was incredibly frustrating and downright lazy writing.

Yeah, to be honest I'm glad that the show had ended as it had become a bit of chore to watch it. Once Saeed was killed I think the show just lost it's momentum and was basically just limping to the finish line.

I actually thought that the ending for Beecher was quite good as it stopped him from betraying his one true love, even if it did meant that he accidentally screwed himself.

And why did Gloria kiss the man who killed her husband?? If someone did that to my partner I wouldn't want to be within 100m of them!

Well now my sentence is over I'm a free man (and not a number!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    Ryan's brother.

Well, I was expecting him to get fried, judging from past storylines not going too well for the inmates, so rather than a cop-out it was more an about turn. They haven't shied away from killing sympathetic or interesting characters in the past. Still, only a few more eps to go, so who knows. ;)

Well after all that it wasn't a cop out, just a postponement. :o
    I do find it odd though that people would want to watch the death of someone they cared about. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 6 really was a mess but overall this was a fab series and there aren't many about these days that come close to how much i loved this show.

I could still happily watch series 1-5 all over again straight away!
  • Options
    Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't finished watching all the episodes of Season 6 yet, but did anyone else who has a Youview box have trouble between the episodes broadcast on 16th June to the 18th June being cut off about five minutes short? >:(

Thank goodness for TV.com where there are episode recaps, so that at least I could a least get to read what happened in the end, but I have so far missed significant portions of episode endings involving Robson the Nazi and Said the Muslim leader. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit surprised they didn't address Islamic extremism in the show after 9/11, I would have thought a jihadist challenging Said for leadership of the muslims at Oz would have been an obvious plotline but perhaps the topic was still too sensitive at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't finished watching all the episodes of Season 6 yet, but did anyone else who has a Youview box have trouble between the episodes broadcast on 16th June to the 18th June being cut off about five minutes short? >:(

Thank goodness for TV.com where there are episode recaps, so that at least I could a least get to read what happened in the end, but I have so far missed significant portions of episode endings involving Robson the Nazi and Said the Muslim leader. :(

Yeah I found that I was having to manually add five minutes to each episode. And apparently there a bit at the end of an episode that I missed that involved Robson and a spoon. :D
  • Options
    mgnsmgns Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Oz is back on CBS Action. I think the first two episodes were on this morning at 1:55am & 3:05am.

It looks like its 2 episodes a day Mon-Fri. This week they start at 2:05am but next week they seem to move to 3:05am.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mgns wrote: »
    Oz is back on CBS Action. I think the first two episodes were on this morning at 1:55am & 3:05am.

It looks like its 2 episodes a day Mon-Fri. This week they start at 2:05am but next week they seem to move to 3:05am.

Do you know what seasons they are showing? Have they gone back to the start or continuing on from where they left off?
  • Options
    mgnsmgns Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Do you know what seasons they are showing? Have they gone back to the start or continuing on from where they left off?

It's from the start - I have no idea if they'll show all the seasons again but I guess the CBS Action website will update any new information:

http://www.cbsaction.tv/uk/shows.php?title=Oz