Matt smith leaving

Comments

• GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    It could be true, but it's also possible it's an industry standard typical contract renewal negotiating position.
  • yidarmy123yidarmy123 Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Who knows but the bbc have not confimed he is staying just say that he is back to film a Xmas special. The writing is on the wall I think
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my God! I did not expect this at all!! :eek:
    Matt Smith is definitely leaving! It says so in the Sun so there's absolutely no way that it isn't true!
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Daybreak didn't really comfirm it. They said 'it looks like matt smith is off at christmas' so they are just reporting on the runmours and speculation. If it was definate they'd have said 'matt smith is leaving at' and probably quoted the BBC source.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Matt leaving? I do hope David Tennant comes back!

(Not really, I just said that to annoy CD93. :p:D)
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet again he's denied it.

no he hasnt - very careful wording.

If it wasnt true, why not just outright deny it.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he hasn't renewed his contract yet, there's nothing to confirm / deny.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Total non-story...
  • FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    The Sun is written by idiots for idiots. I'd have to double check what day it is if they told me. Utter utter utter garbage. Lies, mistruths and slander. Oh and tits. I wouldn't pick up a copy of that gutter-rag even if there was a free DVD of the entire back catalogue of Doctor Who with it. I'd rather peel my eyeballs and dip my head in vinegar. I'd rather have every hair on my body plucked out. Simultaneously.
    Have I mentioned that I really hate The Sun?
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yidarmy123 wrote: »
    JCR wrote: »
    It's like predicting rain, if you say it often enough there's a chance you'll be right sooner or later.
  • DuncanEmeryDuncanEmery Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Matt Smith has developed into a good Doctor and would love to see him continue for some time yet. I think he would want to know how many episodes the next series will be and when filming would be until committing to any new contract. The way they are being spaced out these days must increase his chance of staying - hopefully we will get more than half an dozen episodes in 2014 but wouldn't be surprised to see it split again with episodes in autumn 14 and then again in spring 15 - if Matt stayed until end of that series he would then be have been doctor for 5 years which is a good run,
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Facepalmer wrote: »
    The Sun is written by idiots for idiots. I'd have to double check what day it is if they told me. Utter utter utter garbage. Lies, mistruths and slander. Oh and tits. I wouldn't pick up a copy of that gutter-rag even if there was a free DVD of the entire back catalogue of Doctor Who with it. I'd rather peel my eyeballs and dip my head in vinegar. I'd rather have every hair on my body plucked out. Simultaneously.
    Have I mentioned that I really hate The Sun?

The Daily Mail
    The Daily Star
    The Sport

These papers are all far worse than the sun, and the last two are far more worthy to be known purely for tits.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    If he hasn't renewed his contract yet, there's nothing to confirm / deny.

Yep. This is one of those things that are almost impossible to tell simply from what they say. The things an actor will say would be the same whether they were simply in negotiations for contract or did intend to leave but couldn't say so.

If he stays - people who guessed he would will be vindicated. If he goes - people who guessed he would will be vindicated.

There are circumstantial things to make one think he might be wanting to get his film career on the move. For example, he said last year that he was keen to do that, and said he might be staying for one more year - which would have made 2013 his last full year on screen as the Doctor. (Of course, his words then might still have just been negotiation tactics.) He will have been on screen in the role for four years by the end of 2013 and working on it since 2009. It would be no surprise that he would move on.

But none of that, even if he does leave, can be predicted from what he did and didn't say. He can't say the truth one way or the other.

The Sun - as said by several others - predict the actor will leave every year. One year they will be right. The Nebosphere Gazette has predicted the return of Ice Warriors every year since 2005. One year it will be right. But it's still a tawdry rag.
  • FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    The Daily Mail
    The Daily Star
    The Sport

These papers are all far worse than the sun, and the last two are far more worthy to be known purely for tits.

I wouldn't read those misogynistic lie-peddlars either but I save my vitriol for The Sun. My Dad was a coal Miner during the strike and I lost family at the Hillsborough disaster so I may be a tad bias.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh please, please, please be true!

I have waited so long for this and maybe Dr Who Lite (AKA Dr Who Zero Gravitas) can get back it's old adult audience and still be suitable for the whole family. Basically the great drama that it became under Eccleston and Tennant.

So stunningly good, you forgot that it was Dr Who. Then Smith arrived...

My view is the opposite of yours.

Although I liked it with Eccleston and Tennant, I didn't think it was PROPER Doctor Who, i.e. the show I had loved back in the 20th Century, until Matt Smith was given the role.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't read those misogynistic lie-peddlars either but I save my vitriol for The Sun. My Dad was a coal Miner during the strike and I lost family at the Hillsborough disaster so I may be a tad bias.

Your bias is completely justified
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member

I understand and sympathise, knowing about The Sun and the headline/ story it printed.

If it's any help, their source was genuine, and turned out to be the police chief who was put in the public eye last year for leading the cover up of the disaster. The vitriol The Sun poured on him was something to read, and they have since acknowledged that the headline they printed was one of the biggest mistakes they have made.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/09/13/hillsborough-tragedy-sun-apology-mackenzie-mohan_n_1879649.html

I know it doesnt make anything better, but thought you would like to know :)
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Sources say..."
    "Insiders say..."

Unattributed piffle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YiY50dGoZQ
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope he is .Been watching DW for 40 years and he's the worst one theres been by a million miles .Entirely unbelievable as the doctor .
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ic wrote: »
    I hope he is .Been watching DW for 40 years and he's the worst one theres been by a million miles .Entirely unbelievable as the doctor .

My view is the complete opposite of yours. I've watched for a smiliar length of time and Matt is my favorite by far.

I cannot believe that you would place any of them above Matt particularly: Sylvester McCoy & Colin Baker???? :eek:
    The show was a laughing stock in those days.
  • nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching for 39 years and I rate Matt Smith as the best Doctor since Tom Baker.

But, he will have been in the role for 4 years come Christmas, which is more than the average stint. That will make him the fourth longest serving Doctor (Ignoring off air years) after TB, JP and DT. He also wants to move to America and work in movies. Therefore it would be an appropriate time to move on.

I don't particularly want him to go, but I would be surprised if he stayed any longer.

I must admit that I would like the next Doctor to be a bit older.
  • GillrayGillray Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    He's refused to confirm it. There is a difference! :)

'Doctor Who': BBC plays down Matt Smith Christmas departure reports

. . . the BBC said in a statement: "Sorry folks, but even we don't know what's going to happen at Christmas. It's not been written yet!

"But Matt loves the show and is to start filming the unmissable 50th anniversary, and the new series starting on Easter Saturday."

I wouldn't normally give much credence to a tabloid story but that's not much of a denial from the BBC.

Although he's the first actor in the reboot who feels like a proper Doctor and it would be a shame to lose him, for his own sake he needs to move on before he's too associated with the role to get other parts.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching for 49 years and 4 months and I think Matt is one of the best Doctors there's ever been.

He has captured the essence perfectly, and has managed to echo several other Doctors in his portrayal, most notably the 2nd. Very well done, considering he wasn't a fan before he got the part, and hadn't watched the programme before.

Not only has he never put a foot wrong in his portrayal of the Doctor, he has thrown himself with enthusiasm into all the off-screen stuff that being the Doctor entails, which I think is pretty well essential for such an iconic role.

I'll miss him, when he goes, but he'll have done 3 series by the end of this year, so I do expect his leaving to be fairly soon after that.

As nebo says, I don't think his filming the 8th series has been mentioned anywhere, has it?
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Of course Matt Smith is leaving Doctor Who, he was never going to play the part forever, it's just a matter of when, not if.
    No actor would ever commit to playing any role indefinitely, except perhaps William Roache, and look what happened to him, he went bonkers!
    If Matt decides to call it a day next year, he will have had a good run, comparing favourably with most of his predecessors. I'm sure neither he nor the producers would want him to plod on after his heart wasn't in it any more, you can see that's what happened even with Tom Baker in his last series. Once you've done all you can with a part as an actor, it's time to move on.
    I'm not saying it will happen soon necessarily, but it will happen.
    :)
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    It's really quite tedious because before this some people were convinced that Matt would be leaving during the 50th anniversary episode. Then that stopped when he announced that he would be filming the Christmas special after it but now people are convinced that he will be leaving during that instead.

I'm sure at some point Matt will either confirm or deny that he will be filming series 8 and then and only then, will we know for sure, and who knows maybe one day the BBC will be good enough to confirm when filming will start for series 8 :)

It's really quite simple. We know that we're getting another 8 episodes of series 7, an anniversary special and a Christmas special and we know that Matt Smith will be in all of those. Anything beyond that is just hot air until there are any official announcements.

And I've been watching Doctor Who for 72 years and I happen to think that he's the best doctor since Peter Cushing.