Options

Callback Issues from Multiroom

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    easy1355 wrote: »
    I didn't actually see the reply, given I changed my email adress, so this reply is a little late. However, shortly after my last post, many were annoyed that I would even request a CLI exemption, due to Sky or Virgin's line problems. BUT, I got my CLI exemption, (admittedly after 3 more engineer visits) and I have had no more problems, or letters since, and was given 1 month free (after I threatened to leave) due their stupid, out of date, annoying call back requirement.

Their 'Stupid, out of date, annoying call back requirement' is to prevent Stupid, annoying customers from trying to fleece them by saying there's a problem with the line. Anyone can say that and then hand over the second card to a mate for a small fee so they get premium channels for next to nothing. If i had been the operator taking your call when you threatened to cancel I would have said bye bye for being such a numpty.
  • Options
    rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite.

I wonder what other vaguely realistic anti-fraud measure our friend could suggest?
  • Options
    Devil_NightsDevil_Nights Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    I frequently get asked about issues with 2nd box call backs, so heres a few points to all multiroom subscribers:-

2) if broadband in house, then filters must be fitted to each sky box (just like ur phones)

I had a sky engineer round today,and this is not the case.As long as you have a broadband filter on your main telephone socket in the house,then this is fine,no need to have broadband filters on all boxes
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a sky engineer round today,and this is not the case.As long as you have a broadband filter on your main telephone socket in the house,then this is fine,no need to have broadband filters on all boxes

This all depends on your master socket. Most people will not have a filtered master socket and will need to make sure there is a filter somewhere between their Sky boxes, Phones etc.. and the master socket.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    giny30 wrote: »
    Their 'Stupid, out of date, annoying call back requirement' is to prevent Stupid, annoying customers from trying to fleece them by saying there's a problem with the line. Anyone can say that and then hand over the second card to a mate for a small fee so they get premium channels for next to nothing. If i had been the operator taking your call when you threatened to cancel I would have said bye bye for being such a numpty.

Yeah, well, you weren't the operator, and now Sky better start taking their customer's seriously, freeview, more choice on Virgin. As a 'numpty' as you put it, I no longer have annoying telephone lines from each box, annoying letter's coming through the door, a month free, so Giny, who is the 'numpty now. By the way, I knew the point of the call backs, which is still an out of date annoying, backwards system, which I have seen many people moaning about. And given the amount of engineers they had to send out.... i suppose they thought it was worth keeping my custom.... good ole Sky.... they seem to learning....... bad luck giny........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rai uno wrote: »
    Quite.

I wonder what other vaguely realistic anti-fraud measure our friend could suggest?

Well friend, that's not my job, it's theirs.
    I don't need to suggest anything. In this day and age, i am pretty sure they could rustle something up... after all, it's all going Wireless now, and Sky still want to stick bloody phone lines all over the place...... Interesting question though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member

Late post, but this is incorrect.

Unless your master socket is ADSL filtered internally, and all your extensions come off the Telephone filtered part, you will need an ADSL filter on ALL extensions.

Otherwise when your sky box picks up the phone line, it'll kill your ADSL connection and/or kill the sky box's connection.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    sorry/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    easy1355 wrote: »
    Yeah, well, you weren't the operator, and now Sky better start taking their customer's seriously, freeview, more choice on Virgin. As a 'numpty' as you put it, I no longer have annoying telephone lines from each box, annoying letter's coming through the door, a month free, so Giny, who is the 'numpty now. By the way, I knew the point of the call backs, which is still an out of date annoying, backwards system, which I have seen many people moaning about. And given the amount of engineers they had to send out.... i suppose they thought it was worth keeping my custom.... good ole Sky.... they seem to learning....... bad luck giny........
    And you still dont get the message, I'll break it down for ya.

Skys callback policy started as a means to assure all subscription cards that were subsidised were in the same house, so you couldnt ship the box to Spain etc, give your mate your box and he gets all the channels you get for £10

I would do it if I were them ;)

Now here's where you are a Numpty, The HD upgrade is a transition, after HD what do you think they have planned???

They plan to install BB modems in the boxes to bring the internet and PPV to your TV's.

So enjoy your "Not able to order box office" and cant "Vote on debates" and "Cant bet on the box" while it lasts, cant wait til you have to get BT out to install your telco, £160 callout LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SatMan247 wrote: »
    And you still dont get the message, I'll break it down for ya.

Skys callback policy started as a means to assure all subscription cards that were subsidised were in the same house, so you couldnt ship the box to Spain etc, give your mate your box and he gets all the channels you get for £10

I would do it if I were them ;)

Now here's where you are a Numpty, The HD upgrade is a transition, after HD what do you think they have planned???

They plan to install BB modems in the boxes to bring the internet and PPV to your TV's.

So enjoy your "Not able to order box office" and cant "Vote on debates" and "Cant bet on the box" while it lasts, cant wait til you have to get BT out to install your telco, £160 callout LOL

well satman, your post started off so well, and then went on a strange tangent. and a weird one,

My post was to do with Sky's inability to fix my problem, numerous engineer visits, and them talking to Virgin, and and those stupid letter's they kept sending out. keeping up?

I don't want modems to my PPV or TV, I don't wont to vote on anything, and I certainly don't purchase anything from box office. And, I still have that option on my main box, just not the other two in the house.

See Satman, simple really.
  • Options
    RjhsteelRjhsteel Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Does the 2nd sky box require a phone line as well? Having mine installed tomorrow.
  • Options
    Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, both boxes require the phone connection at all times
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hey guys,

Resurrecting this thread again but we're having major bother with our phone lines with SKY+ Multiroom.

Firstly - I have a genuine reason for unplugging the phone line that my upstairs sky+ box is going into, and thats because with it plugged in, my bloody wireless router stops working grrrrrr!

Obviously I have no problem at all in having the multiroom line plugged in, and this reply isnt about how to get away with it not being plugged in - its asking for advice on how I can get it all to work PLUGGED in lol.

Currently got two phonelines (one down, one up). Downstairs sky+ box dials out fine.

Upstairs, we've got the phone line running to the master bedroom, and on that socket we've got what looks like a hard wired extension lead for the upstairs sky+ box, which then goes into the adsl and phone lines for upstairs (see attached 8 year old style photo)

Click me

Now, the only other thing is the extension lead for the upstairs sky+ box runs into my bedroom. When its plugged in, sky works great, but internet dies. Sometimes, its not straight away - sometimes both will run fine (and I think I've cracked it), but when I do a callback from the upstairs sky+box, the internet dies.

So, please - PLEASE - can anyone help me get it running together and playing nicely? I appreciate I'm probably doing something really stupidly wrong - but I dont know what it is :(

Cheers,
    John
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .........And your micro filters are where ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    i think an actual diagram might help with that odd issue very confusiing
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    .........And your micro filters are where ?

My thoughts exactly
  • Options
    mpk81mpk81 Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You Have
    BT Socket -> Sky+ lead -> ADSL Microfilter -> Router
                                               -> Upstairs phone

I would try:
    BT Socket -> ADSL Microfilter -> Router
                                  -> Sky+ Lead -> Upstairs phone.

There is more techy detail on ADSL Microfilters here (not my site)
    http://sam-radford.me.uk/phone.htm
  • Options
    AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Since all the equipment is connected to the same dish, would it be realistic to have some sort of system whereby all boxes could 'sense' each other's presence via the a multi-way LNB and keep working? If any box disappeared (due to going round a mates and suchlike) then the others would go 'on strike' until the box reappeared? Similarly, the 'removed' box wouldn't work anywhere else as it wouldn't be able to see the other boxes. This is sort of how it works now, but with a delayed disconnection (after the next time Sky send out a callback request to the boxes?)
    This would remove the need for a phoneline altogether (if you chose not to have one)

It's actually cheaper (in some cases) to have 2 Sky subs instead of multiroom if you factor in the cost of a phone line to keep Sky happy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Appleseed wrote: »
    Since all the equipment is connected to the same dish, would it be realistic to have some sort of system whereby all boxes could 'sense' each other's presence via the a multi-way LNB and keep working? If any box disappeared (due to going round a mates and suchlike) then the others would go 'on strike' until the box reappeared? Similarly, the 'removed' box wouldn't work anywhere else as it wouldn't be able to see the other boxes. This is sort of how it works now, but with a delayed disconnection (after the next time Sky send out a callback request to the boxes?)
    This would remove the need for a phoneline altogether (if you chose not to have one)

It's actually cheaper (in some cases) to have 2 Sky subs instead of multiroom if you factor in the cost of a phone line to keep Sky happy.

That would probably require updating the dish/LNB hardware and software for Sky's 10 million customers. Can't see that happening soon :D

It's more than just multiroom callbacks. Currently the telephone line is Sky's only way of obtaining information about your Sky system.

Generally I don't think having a phone line is a massive issue for most customers. Anyone that has multirooom has/had this facility initially anyway. It tends to be the customers who have had a change of circumstance (moving home, reshuffle of current home) that experience problems, where phone connections may no longer be available.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Do sky care if you use DECT wireless phone sockets?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do sky care if you use DECT wireless phone sockets?

Nope.

We don't care how your boxes call us, as long as they all call from the same non-witheld number at the time the request is received. Be it through a classic wired extension or a new DECT wireless one.
  • Options
    Paul000Paul000 Posts: 286
    Forum Member

I refer you to my new thread about cancelling, and the fact that neither of my HD Mulitiroom boxes have ever been connected to a phone line save for the first 20 Minutes and both work perfectly fine and have never received one of these so called mysterious warning letters or excess billing despite having frequently asked for someone to publish the text of this letter. I think if I fall into your catagory of numpty - I tried to cancel because 1000 Pounds a year is plain ridiculous and was offered , yesterday, Saturday - 50 % off of my entire package for 6 Months. Now who,s the numpty ?:)
  • Options
    NectarNectar Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul000 wrote: »
    I refer you to my new thread about cancelling, and the fact that neither of my HD Mulitiroom boxes have ever been connected to a phone line save for the first 20 Minutes and both work perfectly fine and have never received one of these so called mysterious warning letters or excess billing

...but you've been told many many times that you were lucky and slipped through the net. The fact that you don't want to believe this is up to you - as long as you don't go suggesting to other people that they also don't need both multiroom boxes connected to the phoneline - because very few people do get away with it. You were lucky - congratulations. Don't spoil it eh, by getting somebody else caught out because they don't have both boxes connected to the phoneline.

If I had retained the letters which I received I would publish the text word for word - but as it was about six years ago now, and since then I have made sure that my boxes are connected to the phoneline so I don't receive any more letters, I'm afraid I can't tell you exactly what the wording was. They could certainly identify which box (or at least which card) did not have the phoneline connected - which is to be expected, as they send out a signal to each multiroom card instructing a callback, then validate that all callbacks come from the same phoneline.

I don't know why I'm bothering telling you this - it's not going to persuade you to reconnect your boxes, and as you have bragged at least half a dozen times on this forum you've never received the warning letters - but anyway, top and bottom, Sky do check, the letters do exist, and they will replace your multiroom payment with a second full subscription payment if you don't connect the phonelines.
  • Options
    Paul000Paul000 Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Nectar wrote: »
    ...but you've been told many many times that you were lucky and slipped through the net. The fact that you don't want to believe this is up to you -
    I don't know why I'm bothering telling you this - it's not going to persuade you to reconnect your boxes, and as you have bragged at least half a dozen times on this forum you've never received the warning letters - but anyway, top and bottom, Sky do check, the letters do exist, and they will replace your multiroom payment with a second full subscription payment if you don't connect the phonelines.
    Ok you call it bragging I call it shareing information that is of importance to all sorts of people who for one reason or another are unable or unwilling to connect their box or mutiroom box to the phonelines. Whilst I can imagine many people in this situation would prefer not to discuss their reasons technical or otherwise., You do mention that I have previously mentionned this on the forum, half a dozen times . That being the case nobody has yet come forward with the texts and reference of your mysterious warning letters nor have they come forward with their additional bill details.
    In other words SKY people pounce on any suggestion that the boxs work perfectly well not connected to the phoneline but no genuine customers are coming forward with statements of being "caught". Which is again a strange terminology as being "caught" for having a big house where all the rooms do not have phonelines nor incidentally does my out house.
    As you check my previous entries you will notice I have published and been challenged on my 96 Pound monthly bill for SKY World HD HD multiroom EPSN and the measured broadband for which interestingly I have not as yet reaceived so much as an email warning despite exceeding my quota 3 times in the last 5 months alone and by quite a large margin. Afterall the most thirsty element is watching SKY Player, I think if you care to think about it that becomes somehow double paying.
  • Options
    NectarNectar Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul000 wrote: »
    Which is again a strange terminology as being "caught" for having a big house where all the rooms do not have phonelines

Erm, you don't have to have a separate phoneline in each room of your mansion. Sky will happily run two cables to two separate Sky boxes from a single phoneline point anywhere in the house - which can be equidistant between both boxes, or can live in the same room as either box. A phoneline cable can be pinned to a skirting board and run behind door hinges - and is thin enough to be invisible on the skirting boards and to not prevent a door from opening and closing. So don't use the excuse of having a big house for not having both boxes connected to the phoneline.