AGEISM in the X FACTOR

Tillymint82Tillymint82 Posts: 946
Forum Member
✭✭
I find the attitude towards older singer completely disgraceful

People who have incredible voices, flawless pitch and tone are rubbished

'Butlins fodder'

'The next Jane McDonald'

just because theyre over a certain age they cannot sell records.

Youth today is so disrespectful of older singers.

Whilst the likes of Sam Callahan, One Dimension, Kingsland bore who are mediocre, cannot sing but are young and easy on the eye are put on a pedastal.

What kind of message is that.

The reactions to Cher i saw on social media and on here last night were disgusting

This woman has sold millions of albums, had a career thats lasted decades and shes really honed her craft

Shes won an oscar a grammy an emmy!

Yet these snot nosed little 12 year olds calling her for allsorts last night made my blood boil!

Comments

• earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, non-teens are blasting her (Cher) for her underwhelming performance.
  • Tillymint82Tillymint82 Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    earldbest wrote: »
    To be fair, non-teens are blasting her (Cher) for her underwhelming performance.

It was fine. It was the type of performance Cher has always given.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was fine. It was the type of performance Cher has always given.

But everyone was expecting the single Woman's World and she goes down the ballad route? Not the Cher the youth of the day know about.
  • DebbEatonDebbEaton Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    The people who gave Cher bad comments aren't fit to wipe her ass.
  • Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I highly doubt Cher gives a sh!t what a bunch of kiddies on the internet say about her or her music.
  • HermanazoHermanazo Posts: 2,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Social media is ruled by teenagers, and guess what: they do not like old performers, same way we did when we were young! So I wouldn't worry that much.
  • Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hermanazo wrote: »
    Social media is ruled by teenagers, and guess what: they do not like old performers, same way we did when we were young! So I wouldn't worry that much.

Cher WAS an old performer when many of us were young! :o:D
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC most of the comments are about her and her excellent surgeon
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a big difference between a Cruise Ship singer like Shelley and someone with a mature sophisticated voice i.e Sam Bailey. I believe the audience can discern the difference. A lot of older people also watch XF and vote. Lorna is only 26 and she said today in the paper that whoever styled her made her look too frumpy and tried to make her look 34. I was saying that all along but I say Lorna should have taken charge of herself more and said NO!
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a big difference between a Cruise Ship singer like Shelley and someone with a mature sophisticated voice i.e Sam Bailey. I believe the audience can discern the difference. A lot of older people also watch XF and vote. Lorna is only 26 and she said today in the paper that whoever styled her made her look too frumpy and tried to make her look 34. I was saying that all along but I say Lorna should have taken charge of herself more and said NO!

she would always be edged out as she'd be competing directly with the girls who, incidentally, are actually in the Girls category :sleep:
  • hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    But everyone was expecting the single Woman's World and she goes down the ballad route? Not the Cher the youth of the day know about.

But why would she sing her OLD single that as been out forever now it seems as a cher fan it is nice to see her sing her new single :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the trouble is though - all of the overs look like middle aged mums and therein lies the rub. age is irrelevant IMO, as long as you have the package. I've said it elsewhere but the overs this year has really highlighted why you need more than just a good voice. shelly looks like a club singer - shes styled that way and she performs like a club singer. she'll bomb out in the next few weeks.

if the overs want to survive they've got to consider their styling, song choices and arrangements. its not ageism, its reality - they look and sound frumpy
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised to hear people were criticising Cher I thought she sounded as good as ever and looked amazing for her age.

Having said that, young people like young singers. It's not exactly surprising, it's just human nature.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am from Cher's era. My first love and I's special record was *I got you babe*:D So am I ageist in saying I thought she was awful! Time to give her vocal chords a rest. I reckon she has had so much facial work done she can no longer move her muscles which affects her voice.

I want to remember her as she was way back and before that bloody autotune!
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was nice to see that Cher is still alive and kicking but at some stage you do wonder if it wouldn't be more graceful to retire.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was nice to see that Cher is still alive and kicking but at some stage you do wonder if it wouldn't be more graceful to retire.

I do agree. But the overs aren't as old as Cher are they? They are spring chickens compared to Cher.

Another one who doesn't sound good with age is Paul McCartney and I was shocked that David Bowie sounds so bad. And yet Leonard Cohen sounds good at 80 something..
  • Peter EPeter E Posts: 7,746
    Forum Member
    I've always ageism was rife in the X Factor.

The 'Overs' catgory is pointless because unless you look / behave like someone who's under 25 (like Kye Sones from last year) you have no chance of doing well!!

I feel sorry for the overs as I feel they are jsut being used a 'token oldies'!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be interesting to see how Lillie McCabe fairs in US version. She is 54 but looks half her age, has got a tremendous voice, has the experience of staging and live performance of a wide range of styles. I think she could tear up a few modern tracks and teach the youngsters that their stuff can be done with more class!
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the trouble is though - all of the overs look like middle aged mums and therein lies the rub. age is irrelevant IMO, as long as you have the package. I've said it elsewhere but the overs this year has really highlighted why you need more than just a good voice. shelly looks like a club singer - shes styled that way and she performs like a club singer. she'll bomb out in the next few weeks.

if the overs want to survive they've got to consider their styling, song choices and arrangements. its not ageism, its reality - they look and sound frumpy

Have to say I agree. I can't believe that they are only in their 30s! Lots of older people can have good figures, great styling and decent elegant clothes. There are plenty of older glamorous women on TV. The show is called the X-factor and image is part of the package.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    Have to say I agree. I can't believe that they are only in their 30s! Lots of older people can have good figures, great styling and decent elegant clothes. There are plenty of older glamorous women on TV. The show is called the X-factor and image is part of the package.

It didn't help Caroline Goode, though. I was gutted when she was first out. I loved her on Fame Academy and she looked and sounded terrific :(
  • smurftcsmurftc Posts: 2,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not so sure about voting for Sam... she said on xtra factor Saturday that she didnt think she would stay in the competition as she thought that the over 35's wouldnt know how to use a computer or an i phone to vote for her !!! WTF:eek::o

She certainly implied anyone over the age of 35 had a very low IQ... and were thick!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the real issue, they treat the Over 25's like they're 55. Make overs make them look like middle aged cabaret singers and they get to all sing nothing put dated power ballads and soft rock.

If you look at some of the biggest stars in the world, most of them are well over 25 but they release contemporary songs and are styled like normal people of their age.

Sam, Shelly and Lorna are all under 35 but styled like they're not far off their pension.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    It didn't help Caroline Goode, though. I was gutted when she was first out. I loved her on Fame Academy and she looked and sounded terrific :(

Do you mean Carolynne Poole? Caroline Goode is a senior police officer :o
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rangermick wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how Lillie McCabe fairs in US version.

No sign of her when I tried to Google :confused:
  • commentcomment Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No sign of her when I tried to Google :confused:

I think they mean Lillie McCloud :)