Options

Your mobile predictions for 2013

Comments

• Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    What a random comment, a pentile screen will never come anywhere near the iPhone 4S screen, most peculiar.

Maybe because GTAIII on a 4.8" Super AMOLED HD screen looks better than the same game cramped into a 3.5" screen.

Anyway, this argument against pentile screens is rather old and out of date now. I have a Note with a 5.3" HD pentile screen and I challenge anyone to say it is is a poor display.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the end of 2013 EE will have the best 4G coverage and O2 will have the worst 4G coverage.

4G will be Premium Priced by all networks except 3.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I will stick with my S2 for the time being but might move over to three and get unlimited 3G plan in steed if it stays below £15 for a sim free one.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    What a random comment, a pentile screen will never come anywhere near the iPhone 4S screen, most peculiar.

What is it with you? Why is everything random, odd, peculiar etc etc... The iphone 4S screen was absolutely rubbish. Pentile means absolutely nothing and im betting you don't even know what the real life differences are. Beginning to think your just trolling to be honest. You never counter any argument.

Anyway, im still waiting to see where rockstar said vice city looks better on ios devices....I like how you dodged that..
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Maybe because GTAIII on a 4.8" Super AMOLED HD screen looks better than the same game cramped into a 3.5" screen.

Anyway, this argument against pentile screens is rather old and out of date now. I have a Note with a 5.3" HD pentile screen and I challenge anyone to say it is is a poor display.

Indeed. That argument is always thrown about by people who know absolutely nothing about screen technology.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we get back to predictions for 2013 please?
  • Options
    poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I really want to see some compact but high end smart phones, like the Sony Xperia Mini was when it came out. The Xperia U is the closest thing but could do with a better camera and a higher res screen to qualify.
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be no consumer devices with flexible screens released this year.
    Battery tech will improve marginally but there will be no major leap forward.

In general the rest of the market will continue as before:
    • Android:
      • OS as a whole will continue to increase in marketshare
      • Samsung will continue to cement their place as number 1 Android OEM/smartphone manufacturer in general with increased marketshare and profits - will continue to make big in-roads in tablet market
      • Chinese brands like Huawei, Meizu, Xiaomi and ZTE to start to eat into the market, most likely at the expense of LG
      • LG may even give up on phones
      • Sony to have some success, HTC to lose marketshare

• iOS:
      • Apple will continue to make obscene amounts of money
      • Marketshare will drop, though volume of sales will increase
      • Next iPhone will be a minor improvement, still lacking certain features that become mainstream on other handsets
      • iPad will lose overall majority marketshare in tablets, though again volume of sales will increase

• WP8/Win8:
      • WP8 will see a modest increase in marketshare, driven primarily by cheaper handsets and the last few Blackberry customers jumping ship - flagship handsets will continue to get their asses kicked by Android models (wouldn't be surprised if the Galaxy S4 out-sells the entire Nokia range)
      • 50/50 whether Nokia will be bought out by MS
      • HTC to focus more on WP8 as their position as an Android OEM continues to erode
      • Samsung will continue to put little focus on WP8 unless sales increase dramatically, in which case expect much more focus and probably a quick ascent to the top of the WP pile
      • Win8 tablet sales will slowly increase - serious marketshare will hinge on WinRT tablets dropping sharply in price to compete better with Android offerings; full Win8 tablets will carve out a small niche at the top of the market but never take off in the same way due to price

• RIM:
      • BB10 to fail fairly spectacularly
      • OS will be solid but uninspired with only a few mobile geeks and proper BB die-hards paying it much attention
      • RIM to either be bought out, divided up and sold off, re-emerge as a software/services company trying to push BBM on iOS/Android or simply cease to exist in no more than 18 months
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    [*]RIM:
    • BB10 to fail fairly spectacularly
    • OS will be solid but uninspired with only a few mobile geeks and proper BB die-hards paying it much attention
    • RIM to either be bought out, divided up and sold off, re-emerge as a software/services company trying to push BBM on iOS/Android or simply cease to exist in no more than 18 months
    [/list]

I'm really not sure sure that BB10 will fail spectacularly; the devices look better than anything from MS/Nokia/WP8, and the users will have a choice of touchscreen alone or touch and keyboard. With an interface that makes Android look like the clunky inconsistent interface that it has been all along (but people fail to realise because "ooh, its shiny").

I work at a corporate that has moved from being BB only to a choice of BB/Android/iOS for phones, and its been discovered that (shock, big surprise, etc.) that BB is by far and away the best as a corporate mail platform - and we aren't just talking about a small margin. The problems experienced in supporting multiple platforms that don't work anywhere near as well as the BB/BES solution are quite ridiculous.

If there is to be any problems with RIM, the company will be split up, as parts of it are doing very nicely. Look at the QNX platforms, its not just used in BB10 and the Playbook. Its also used in a huge number of in-car solutions (way, way more), and cannot simply just disappear.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A long shot but I predict the square smartphone.

Be square with a useful 1280 X 1280 phone.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first £40 Android on PAYG is released for the Christmas market.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want to see some compact but high end smart phones, like the Sony Xperia Mini was when it came out. The Xperia U is the closest thing but could do with a better camera and a higher res screen to qualify.

I'd like this too, but I don't expect it.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    A long shot but I predict the square smartphone.

Be square with a useful 1280 X 1280 phone.

:eek: a long shot !!!

Imagine watching a movie in 16:9 on it !!!!
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Earlier last year T-Mobile were selling a £50 so think this one would be pretty likely to come true.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Imagine watching a movie in 16:9 on it !!!!
    Well, black bars are deemed 'not a major problem'.

Square is quite ideal for my GPS usage. (Obviously a circular one is too impractical).
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

O2 were selling an Alcatel OT893 Android for £40 before xmas and probably still are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having just seen the demonstration of Ubuntu for phones, I tend to feel that Tizen, Jolla and BB10 are going to be killed by their relative complexity. Ubuntu phone looks amazing!
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Well, black bars are deemed 'not a major problem'.

Square is quite ideal for my GPS usage. (Obviously a circular one is too impractical).

LOL now I'm imagining trying to browse the web on a circular phone!

I think you'll be waiting a while for a completely square phone. It would be funny to see though.
  • Options
    ChemistryChemistry Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    The market needs to figure out if it wants a phone with features, or features with added phone.

I also hope the physical keypad/qwerty won't deminish either.

I have a samsung galaxy ace 2 sitting in the draw as I much perfer the ease of my samsung e1200 which is by far easier and cheaper to use (just pay for calls and texts).
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Chemistry wrote: »
    The market needs to figure out if it wants a phone with features, or features with added phone.

I also hope the physical keypad/qwerty won't deminish either.

I have a samsung galaxy ace 2 sitting in the draw as I much perfer the ease of my samsung e1200 which is by far easier and cheaper to use (just pay for calls and texts).

I think most people tend to use it as features with an added phone…and I’d think the physical keyboard will certainly diminish more…not there are that many anymore anyway.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluetooth watches and other wearable peripherals that interface with smartphones will start coming out with the backing of major brands and apps to take advantage of them. Eg exercise apps and AR type games with glasses etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Bluetooth watches and other wearable peripherals that interface with smartphones will start coming out with the backing of major brands and apps to take advantage of them. Eg exercise apps and AR type games with glasses etc.

I'm wearing one today (bluetooth watch)thats been available for years. And when used with Android devices, it is (apparently) full customisable in what it can display.

The best thing about it? it just looks like a normal watch.

So nope, nothing new there then ....

For the most part though, exercise apps only need a phone with GPS and a heart rate monitor if you're serious about your training. Actually, more to the point - if you're serious about your training, all you need is a decent pair of trainers. You don't need a GPS, you don't need a heart rate monitor.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    I'm wearing one today (bluetooth watch)thats been available for years. And when used with Android devices, it is (apparently) full customisable in what it can display.

The best thing about it? it just looks like a normal watch.

So nope, nothing new there then ....

For the most part though, exercise apps only need a phone with GPS and a heart rate monitor if you're serious about your training. Actually, more to the point - if you're serious about your training, all you need is a decent pair of trainers. You don't need a GPS, you don't need a heart rate monitor.
    Not a new idea. But could become far more mainstream. Both Apple and Intel rumoured to be working on such devices. And Google Glasses etc too.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the bump, but the year is almost over and it's quite scary to see that a lot of these predictions have come true.

Microsoft bought Nokia
    Blackberry demise
    The continued rise of Android + Huawei emerging as a new big player in the market
    Dual-core devices become mid-range
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Sorry for the bump, but the year is almost over and it's quite scary to see that a lot of these predictions have come true.

Microsoft bought Nokia
    Blackberry demise
    The continued rise of Android + Huawei emerging as a new big player in the market
    Dual-core devices become mid-range

You forgot to say Blackberry was a complete failure. With RIM not far of bankruptcy now.