Options

Stunned landlord shames 'tenants from hell' with pictures of mould, rubbish and trail

2»

Comments

• Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    my youngest daughter took tenancy of a council house that was left like that, i have nothing to say about the people who moved out, i don`t know their circumstances, but the council came out three times [grumbling] to clear up the animal shit that was welded to the floor, and do a "deep clean" they still left loose bits all over and when we lifted the radiator to paint a load more fell down with a load of toys and books.

It took 4 of us 10 days to do my mate's rental house up again. Ripped everything out, carpets, bathroom, kitchen. 2 skips of rubbish, steam clean everything possible, scrub all else, then refit and paint. The windows didn't close during that time. It was a serious health issue, you couldn't rent it again without doing that. I think maybe the regulation is tougher for private landlords, maybe the council can get away with it. Not that regs are a bad thing, don't take that the wrong way, I'm sure plenty of landlords would love to rent sub standard housing if they could get away with it, clearly some seem to.
  • Options
    JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Landlords from hell are much more common than tenants from hell! It took me being locked out & an emergency locksmith being called to get the dodgy lock on my front door which had been dodgy since before I moved in & indeed before the landlord bought the property replaced.....

You should visit my daughter's halls of residence, which are owned by a housing company, not the university, as most are now. ;)

She had been at home for 4 months for a nursing placement, and when I took her back with her belongings, the state of the shared areas were so disgusting, we actually had her moved to another room the following day. The tenants had left food and filthy pots/pans etc. out all over the kitchen before leaving for their warm Easter break...Fortunately she was able to stay with her boyfriend for the night, to avoid catching anything.

No doubt there are good and bad (and appalling) on both sides. :)
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    I agree with the regular inspections. Our landlord sends a fella to our place once a year to check the boiler and the fireplaces and to address any issues like electrics, etc. It gives him a chance to make sure we're taking care of the place. We've been here coming on 7 years now and he's happy and we're happy with not having had a rent increase. With shows that highlight nightmare tenants I think he's done ok with us. :)

You are lucky we have to put up with inspections every 3 months and we have been here 6 years. She turns her nose up every visit (agency) "its relatively clean"
  • Options
    Bagshot85Bagshot85 Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Have zero sympathy for landlords who by and large make money out of actual working people.

In your opinion, they should allow people to live for free in their property?
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    Have zero sympathy for landlords who by and large make money out of actual working people.

Guessing you don't approve of any businesses then. Are you totally self sufficient?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was a social worker I'd take the children straight out of their parents arms and out of there myself, and then hopefully the dirty c***s would have to live on the street... or in a barn >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I was a social worker I'd take the children straight out of their parents arms and out of there myself, and then hopefully the dirty c***s would have to live on the street... or in a barn >:(

I can assure you pigs are cleaner given half a chance. A barn is too good for these bastards. And yeah, this time it's ok to say 'think of the children'.
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jayma wrote: »
    No doubt there are good and bad (and appalling) on both sides. :)

There are indeed. I've had one nasty experience with a bitch of a landlady who refused to give me back my full deposit even though you could eat from the floor by the time I vacated the flat. I always suspected she could compete with Cherie Blair when it came to pure and unadulterated greed, and in the end I was proved right.

All the others (I've moved around quite a bit), no issues really.
    I've had one couple who came in on the last day, glaring at me and my flatmate (suspecting the worst I guess), and by the time they had done their inspection, the bloke took my hands and said with a big smile "If you EVER want to come back, please call me, the flat will be yours. In fact, why don't you STAY?" :D

Another stared at me for a moment as well, before commenting "But you've left it so clean! And it smells so nice!"
    What can I say, Enfant - Cleaner Extra-ordinaire :D

Seriously though, a lot of grief between tenants and landlords can easily be avoided if neither of you take the piss. A bit of mutual respect goes a long way.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member

I love the way you put the word "actual" in there, because otherwise it's a spectre or a phantom of a working person, and landlords can screw those apparitions as much as they like.

Rent a house, no, rent a ghost.

Anyway, that landlord would've had to refurbed regardless. That carpet, units and whatnot are tenant repellent, you put stuff like that in and you get repellent tenants.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your posts get more bizarre by the day mate.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Horrendous - And two young children living in that sh**hole. I hope social services are involved.
    So do bloody well I, revolting. >:(
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    I love the way you put the word "actual" in there, because otherwise it's a spectre or a phantom of a working person, and landlords can screw those apparitions as much as they like.

Rent a house, no, rent a ghost.

Anyway, that landlord would've had to refurbed regardless. That carpet, units and whatnot are tenant repellent, you put stuff like that in and you get repellent tenants.
    Well, if your mansion house needs haunting...
  • Options
    MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landlords from hell are much more common than tenants from hell! It took me being locked out & an emergency locksmith being called to get the dodgy lock on my front door which had been dodgy since before I moved in & indeed before the landlord bought the property replaced.....

Indeed...I've had some OK, some fairly indifferent (lived abroad and left it all to agency - never any problems getting stuff fixed etc) and last one awful. Flat had rising damp and the whole building needed structural work, my LL refused to let the buildings management company contractors do the work and wanted to employ her own workers and the management company to reimburse her! In the meantime, my clothes were being ruined and I was living in unhealthy conditions. After a lot of discussion and complaints, she agreed I could leave early and have my deposit back only to them demand I paid the fee for the agents to re-let it. Long story short, it went to dispute, I lost even after providing the TDS with photos of text messages between me and LL and agent, my clothes that had been ruined by mould and the state of the inside and outside where the damp was. They said that wasn't relevant, even though I wouldn't have left early otherwise and my argument was that it wasn't reasonable to live in such conditions with nothing being done to remedy it. P****d me off at the time but in the long run it was worth it to get away from there.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spent a year in rented property, admittedly through an agency and initially it was inspected monthly then 3 monthly including the garden.
    When I left I was given the name of the professional house cleaners and professional cooker cleaners the letting agents use and was told if I didn't leave it professionally cleaned it would be deducted from my deposit! And trust me it was clean before the cleaners arrived tho the cooker cleaners did an amazing job.
    They then could move people in virtually the following day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    I can assure you pigs are cleaner given half a chance. A barn is too good for these bastards. And yeah, this time it's ok to say 'think of the children'.

Funnily enough I refrained from using the word 'pigs' knowing they have better standards of living.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Funnily enough I refrained from using the word 'pigs' knowing they have better standards of living.

And they'd walk over broken glass to protect their young, as opposed to exposing them to utterly needless harm.

As a student, I met one or 2 landlords who wouldn't be headed for sainthood. But none who deserved to have their property trashed. As Enfant Terrible says, a bit of mutual respect can go a long way.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indefensible and disgusting.
    But £10,000 to rectify?
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indefensible and disgusting.
    But £10,000 to rectify?

Well he clearly wasn't interested in maintaining his property, maybe heating, electrical system roof ? I expect like most of these stories there was 2 sides tho the manky side could not afford to take it to the newspapers .
  • Options
    MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It takes a lot to shock me, and I've seen several similar stories before, but this actually left me feeling physically sick. Just how could anybody live in conditions like that? I'm very fussy about cleanliness and often joke about it, but it's with a case like this that I'm glad I'm the way I am.

It reminds me of a time I went to a friend's house for tea when I was at school. The house didn't smell but the family had it like a pig sty; wrappers and dirty cutlery stacked up in piles on the floor, heavily food-stained carpets and furniture, even massive stains all up the wall; my friend even told me their dog had once done its business on the carpet, and their mother had simply scooped it up in a cloth, threw it in the garden and Febreezed the carpet :o. Suffice to say I didn't enjoy visiting their house afterwards.