Comments

• SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,892
    Forum Member
    Tideland

One word to describe it so far..... bizarre! :eek:
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twent bucks - featuring the adventures of a twenty dollar bill. With Elisabeth Shue, David Schwimmer and Chritstopher Lloyd among others. Just ok 5/10
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    The Wild Bunch (1969) Sam Peckinpah’s masterpiece which tells the story of a group of ageing outlaws in the early 20th Century coming to terms with the fact their days are numbered. “We’ve got to start thinking beyond our guns. These days are closin’ fast” says the bunch’s leader Pike Bishop played by William Holden in one of his finest performances.

While the film is notorious for its depiction of violence, what shines through to me is the depth of the characters. They are not one dimensional bad guys. They are cruel, ruthless, ignorant, funny, loyal and, in their own way honourable.

The story concerns the final days of the gang as they head to Mexico after a bank robbery has gone wrong. While a posse led by a former gang member (Robert Ryan) is on their trail, the bunch become involved with the Mexican revolution which ultimately proves to be their undoing.

There are very few modern action movies that don’t owe something to Peckinpah’s style of direction with his use of slow motion and fast cross-cutting between scenes. Even by today’s standards it’s still a violent movie. But it doesn’t glamorise violence, it shows it as nasty, bloody and brutal.

10/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Sightseers - Bloody marvelous. Really great british film with some really very dark parts and some parts that are genuinely laugh-out-loud funny. Seeing places I'm extremely familiar with on film was fun too. Definately worth the price of buying the BR (£15) - 8/10

Moonrise Kingdom - Wes Anderson can be a hit/miss director for me but I liked The Life Aquatic and Fantastic Mr Fox and this one looked interesting so I picked it up. Really enjoyed it. It looked great and the story was nice. It was a bit weird at times, but overall I was thoroughly entertained. 7/10
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Road House - I know a fair bit of the script now. "I thought you'd be bigger." 10/10

Godfather - ditto. clearly 10/10
  • abbieuniqueabbieunique Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arbitrage

9/10 best film I have seen all year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    End of Watch

Brilliant 8/10
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    The Secret in Their Eyes

Richly fascinating Argentine drama that stirs together a grubby murder thriller with a touching passage-of-time romance. An odd cocktail, but it works like a charm, even with its psycho-thriller endgame. And the camerawork during the football match is something to behold. 8/10
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apollo 13. :)
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reef 7/10

An Australian version of Open Water come Jaws.
    Pretty good much better than expected. Apparently based on true story.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Watching the LOTR trilogy again, since it's on tv. I have all the extended editions, and must have seen them a half dozen times each, but I just can't resist watching it, whenever it is on :p Truly a masterpiece for me.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Madagascar 3 - 7/10

The Wild 5/10

Wreck It Ralph - 7/10

Misery 8/10

Shrek 3 - 5/10
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Son of Paleface: 7/10

Spoof Western is often very funny thanks to Frank Tashlin's background in cartoons, and Jane Russell really is very lovely :)
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Finding Nemo 3D (2013) 5/5

The 3D although did not do anything for me.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    An Invisible Sign [2010]. Director: Marilyn Agrelo

5/10

Wacky film about a weirdo math teacher (Jessica Alba). I suspect the novel worked better than this film.
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Misery - 10/10

Seen it a few times, never gets old.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Dark Skies (2013) - 1/10

Dire, not a single original idea in its empty head. It's like if Signs had a baby with Paranormal Activity and left any semblance of logic at the door. Speaking of doors, quite why the residents of the house felt the need to board up all the doors and windows was particularly hilarious considering that it had been blatantly established that the aliens didn't even use the doors to get inside. Utterly moronic. Avoid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    Bugsy Malone. Haven't watched it since I was a kid. Still love it.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    St George's Day - I quite enjoyed it.

It was your typical London gangster flick, sort of Lock Stock, meets Rock n Rolla, meets Layer Cake, meets The Football Factory.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzyferry wrote: »
    End of Watch

Brilliant 8/10

Agreed; one of the best cop films I've ever seen.

I'd give it 9/10.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snow Dogs [2002]. Director: Brian Levant

4/10

Feeble Disney comedy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Dark Skies (2013) - 1/10

Dire, not a single original idea in its empty head. It's like if Signs had a baby with Paranormal Activity and left any semblance of logic at the door. Speaking of doors, quite why the residents of the house felt the need to board up all the doors and windows was particularly hilarious considering that it had been blatantly established that the aliens didn't even use the doors to get inside. Utterly moronic. Avoid.

I was gonna watch it last night too but feared it would be crap. I shall avoid.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    V/H/S

4/10

I'm keen on the sequel, got some interesting directors for the sequel.
  • Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ghost Rider

8/10

Only watched 20 minutes of the last bit but it looked good.
This discussion has been closed.