Options

Will dance ability or personality win Strictly 2014?

PosyPosy Posts: 1,946
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So will it be dance ability or personality that will win this year?

Your thoughts please.

Comments

• Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mixture of both maybe? I don't think someone necessarily has to fall into one category or the other. They can have dance ability and likeability and the latter's subjective anyway.

Also, I don't have much time for "If there's any justice X or Y should win because they're easily the best dancers" if X and Y were better dancers right from the outset due to some prior training. Of course the others are never going to be quite as good given X/Y's headstart but I think others can improve sufficiently, and become good enough, even though they're not the best, and still be winners.
  • Options
    missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    If who I guess is topping the public vote is right, then neither, since Jake is not the best dancer nor the most appealing personality.
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think all of the winners (whether they were technically good or not) have all had nice personalities. So I don't think there is ever a fear that a winner won't have won partly because they have a personality. They've all have nice personalities at minimuim, imo.

The question is prob more, will the nice winner be a good dancer too.

Also this general idea that only bad dancers have good personalities and all good dances are near devoid of personalities is annoying! There have been some bad dancers on this show that imo weren't very nice either. Plenty of the good dancers imo have been as likeable in persoanlity as they have been as dancer. Previous winners like Harry, Kara, Abbey (just off the top of my head) where all good dancers and nice people.
  • Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If who I guess is topping the public vote is right, then neither, since Jake is not the best dancer nor the most appealing personality.

then why would he be topping the vote?
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Nobody still in can't dance. It's impossible for a non-dancer to win this year.

I think what will matter is not so much personality, as in who they seem in interview, but who has charisma as well as technique when performing. That is what I think a few people are lacking a bit this year. But that's subjective, as is who is the better dancer.
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like it to be a mixture of nice person and dancing talent, as it has often been in the past.
  • Options
    celfyddydaucelfyddydau Posts: 1,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well with the judges saying that the dance wasn't technically perfect, or there was a sickle foot, etc "but I loved it" and then giving 10s; when in previous series 10 scores were kept for as near a perfect dance as possible, never mind if it was loved; I'd say that anyone could win dancing ability or personality wise.
  • Options
    Pauline_TynanPauline_Tynan Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    jtnorth wrote: »

I think what will matter is not so much personality, as in who they seem in interview, but who has charisma as well as technique when performing. That is what I think a few people are lacking a bit this year. But that's subjective, as is who is the better dancer.
    Totally agree - people have varying views on the contestants, particularly regarding Jake, Pixie and Mark but all can dance and entertain, at this stage. I think it will come down to entertainment value and likeability factor - so it could be any one of 6 contestants - Jake, Pixie, Frankie, Simon, Caroline or Mark
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the first year ever where all the top 8 can dance a bit.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well with the judges saying that the dance wasn't technically perfect, or there was a sickle foot, etc "but I loved it" and then giving 10s; when in previous series 10 scores were kept for as near a perfect dance as possible, never mind if it was loved; I'd say that anyone could win dancing ability or personality wise.

Even from memory in Series 5 Len did exactly the same thing with Gethin and Bruno with Kelly. It's not a new development at all.
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »

Has a non dancer ever won? I don't think so, not that I recall anyway.

I think Trent and pixie might win because they are just that bit more oomph than Frankie and Kevin .

I think Frankie is better than pixie but I believe Trent is worth more to her than Kev is to Frankie.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this an appropriate point to raise the names of Darren Gough and Chris Hollins...
    I think Frankie is better than pixie but I believe Trent is worth more to her than Kev is to Frankie.
    Is this one of those IQ questions like "Bill is taller than George who is fatter than Fred. How many cream cakes can his wife put away?"
  • Options
    coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot will depend on the dances people have left and how well they suit them.

I think the 2 best dances Jake could have had he has already had, samba and salsa

If Sunetra gets more party Latin she will be a goner.

If Frankie gets a rumba I can't see her getting any chemistry going with Kevin..

The others can mostly do both Latin and Ballroom so I think it is just down to how well they do on the night.

Of all of them I hope it is not Mark because I actually don't like him, or even the way he and his partner dance but all the others I would be ok with a win from.
  • Options
    dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    Has a non dancer ever won? I don't think so, not that I recall anyway.

Darren Gough

Chris Hollins

Mark Ramprakash (he was good, but he had no dance background).
  • Options
    thengp12thengp12 Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=coppertop1;75786729I think the 2 best dances Jake could have had he has already had, samba and salsa.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be so sure he still has Cha Cha Cha and Charleston two dances he could exel in and there is the unknown quantity under the name Freestyle and i suspect that could be a Disco number as It is obvious that IF and that is a big IF he gets into the final we are going to see the salsa/samba again so I can't see them doing a Latin Free or a Ballroom Free as that would be sacrilegious as he is worse in Ballroom apart from American Smooth and Tango I think he will skip Viennese Waltz and will have Foxtrot, CCC and Charleston as his final three dances
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I think the dance he will drop will be the Foxtrot. His AS was foxtrot based and I think this is the reason they keep specifying what base each particular AS has, as it leaves it more logical to drop the straight base dance as they will already, theoretically have learnt it.
  • Options
    coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think all Latin suits him, the jive for example wild and bouncy but I am not sure there were many jive steps in there and the cha cha or rather should be too technical to tweak, also another Latin twerking is going to make people think he doesn't have anything else.

But it's not all about Jake party Latin will be Sunetra's downfall.

Rumba may be Frankies downfall.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think whoever performs best will and should win. Dancing ability without a high performance level that includes a believable emotional connection between the couple is like watching a manikin dancing perfectly with a pro.

Besides, apart from Sunetra, personality isn't a quality that is overflowing in the remaining contestants.
  • Options
    Monsieur23Monsieur23 Posts: 6,916
    Forum Member
    coppertop1 wrote: »
    If Sunetra gets more party Latin she will be a goner.

Well, at least she doesn't have any party Latin left...
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best dancers are Pixie and Frankie, but they won't win.

I am convinced that Jake will win and I think there are a few reasons why. He is a good dancer, had no previous experience and is the type of person that people are shocked can dance. He looks like a normal bloke, and I think people can relate to that more than they can relate to the pretty contestants who have had a bit of dance background.

I personally want Frankie or Pixie to win, two nice girls who are fab dancers, but I would be fine with Jake winning.

The only person I would be baffled to see win would be Mark. One of the weakest dancers left, and with the least likeable personality. That one would leave me stumped.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    I would love Mark to win, not only because I think he is a terrific dancer with a likeable personality, but because it would upset so many of his detractors in here. :D

If he doesn't win, then either Simon or Caroline, just as long as it isn't the simpering, plastic Pixie. :o
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love Mark to win, not only because I think he is a terrific dancer with a likeable personality, but because it would upset so many of his detractors in here. :D

If he doesn't win, then either Simon or Caroline, just as long as it isn't the simpering, plastic Pixie. :o

A Mark fan calling someone else plastic :D:p Brilliant stuff.

Terrific dancer? Sunetra is the only person who you could argue isn't better than him, and that is only the Latin. She beats him in ballroom anyday.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    A Mark fan calling someone else plastic :D:p Brilliant stuff.

Terrific dancer? Sunetra is the only person who you could argue isn't better than him, and that is only the Latin. She beats him in ballroom anyday.

It seems that the judges and the public don't agree with you. :p
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darren Gough

Chris Hollins

Mark Ramprakash (he was good, but he had no dance background).

Had Natasha any dance experience?